• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will PC games eventually be going DX12 only?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

Does anyone think games will be going DX12 only in the future? Or will they continue to support DX11?

Eventually, yes, how long from now is anybody's guess. Could be 5+ years from now.

Many games nowadays still support DX9, so we can assume DX11 will be a staple for many years to come yet :thup:

From what I've noticed most games that has come out this year does not support DX9.

I do believe we will see DX11 support for a while yet, but we will slowly start seeing games drop support for DX11 because the stuff they are doing wouldn't be performance in DX11 and needs DX12.

Then there will be those Microsoft Studios games that are DX12 only in an attempt to force you to update to Win10.

EDIT: I suppose the determining factor for when DX11 support starts dropping is when enough gamers have DX12 systems. According to Steam Hardware Survey DX12 capable systems (Win 10 + DX12 supporting GPU) is already at 41%.

Last edited:
Also, while we are discussing pc games here, we can't ignore the elephant in the room that the consoles still utilize dx11 for the games (for all intents and purposes), so until the consoles are dx12 only or heavily recommended we won't see pc games doing it either.

Also, while we are discussing pc games here, we can't ignore the elephant in the room that the consoles still utilize dx11 for the games (for all intents and purposes), so until the consoles are dx12 only or heavily recommended we won't see pc games doing it either.
What do you mean? I don't think there is any DX11 console. Xbox One launched with DX11.X, which was kind of a halfway thing between DX11 and DX12 and was update to DX12 last fall. Playstation runs Sony's own custom graphics API. I have no idea what Wii U runs but I would assume its some Nintendo proprietary thing.

I am sure that the major graphics engine folks are working on direct X 12 engines...it's only a matter of time.

Question is: " Will PC games eventually be going DX12 only?[/I"]

Answer is: "Yes"

Next question is: "When?"

Answer is: "?"

100% sure games will somnetime be only DX12...

That's that old confusion from the unclear Sony messaging. Sony tried to say that they had a graphics API on par with DX11.2, but everyone misunderstood them as saying they were using DX11. DirectX is a proprietary Microsoft tech, they are not going to license it to Sony. What Sony has is a low level API called GNM and a high level wrapper API around it called GNMX, which has substantial similarities to DX11. There are some details about the API in this article.

I'm hoping they at least go DX10/11-only in the very near future. Force the botnet sympathizers off their XP boxes ASAP, please.

Back