• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steambox: may push games developers to Linux?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Doubtful. Steamboxes have been available for a couple years (as has SteamOS), developers don't want to deal with porting their games to Linux for the most part.

You can open Steam and do a search for SteamOS supported games. There's some there, but not a lot.

Doubtful. Steamboxes have been available for a couple years (as has SteamOS), developers don't want to deal with porting their games to Linux for the most part.

You can open Steam and do a search for SteamOS supported games. There's some there, but not a lot.

I saw a list of 1800 steam games supported for Linux. Doesn't that mean they also work on SteamOS?

Some of the games listed surprised me too (Dying Light, XCOM 2 and Metro Last Light Redux). Some of the titles are 64-bit only (like Dying Light, XCOM 2 and Metro Last Light Redux). Those three were almost the only AAA titles I saw.

I saw a list of 1800 steam games supported for Linux. Doesn't that mean they also work on SteamOS?

Some of the games listed surprised me too (Dying Light, XCOM 2 and Metro Last Light Redux). Some of the titles are 64-bit only (like Dying Light, XCOM 2 and Metro Last Light Redux). Those three were almost the only AAA titles I saw.

If you want to limit yourself to "AAA", all the X3 games and X Rebirth are all on Linux. Civ V is, and Civ VI will be. TF2 and Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite and Saints Row 3 and 4 are. There's more to "AAA" than DicEActivision. Ignoring that though, 90% of the people I know who spend lots of time playing games spend 90% of that time playing stuff that would never be called "AAA"; they don't really care what DicEActivision is doing these days, so whether they're on Linux is irrelevant.

Back