• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much video RAM is needed for a nongamer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

In researching this question, I cannot find any information that is not directed toward the gaming crowd.

For a nongamer who just does pedestrian things like surfing the net, playing streaming video and occasionally av transcoding, how much video RAM is really needed to operate efficiently at 1080p on a 24" monitor? Honestly, in my experience I can't see much or any difference between using a Raedon 5450 with 512mb and a 280x with 3 gb. The most graphics intensive thing I do probably is a train simulator once in a while. Right now I'm just using the IGP and can't see any fall off in what I do.

512 MB seems enough for 3d Blue-ray.
I don't think the screen size has anything to do with this, 1080p is always 1080p, it is the pixels size that changes.

Depends on the monitor resolution, but anything in the 512MB+ range is plenty for 1080p.

In researching this question, I cannot find any information that is not directed toward the gaming crowd.

For a nongamer who just does pedestrian things like surfing the net, playing streaming video and occasionally av transcoding, how much video RAM is really needed to operate efficiently at 1080p on a 24" monitor? Honestly, in my experience I can't see much or any difference between using a Raedon 5450 with 512mb and a 280x with 3 gb. The most graphics intensive thing I do probably is a train simulator once in a while. Right now I'm just using the IGP and can't see any fall off in what I do.
Its been a while, but, what does an iGPU default to? Last I recall 256MB. That seems low these days, so I would say for a complete non gamer, 512MB would be plenty.

Since nothing you do is GPU intensive, it makes sense that you don't see a difference between the 5450, iGPU, or the 280x. Its desktop/2D, there isn't a 'faster' about those things really when it comes to GPUs.

I appreciate the input.

I've got a GTX 650Ti 1gb DDR5 that should be quite adequate then for what I do. I put my R9 280X OC in my Hackintosh because of its out of the box compatibility with OS X.

Last edited:
I just checked my iGPU mem usage, max 400MB. I use it for pretty much everything but gaming (monitored through Afterburner which is always running to monitor my 970s folding)

Back