• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to install Windows XP on a 2016 Skylake Asus Z170-A motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As for me, I do have that off topic question about why it's difficult to find a Microsoft Download page for the SP2 for Win7 Microsoft made under pressure from people a few months ago.

I had never heard of an SP2 for windows 7 (beyond rumor that is) so I went and took a look. According to http://arstechnica.com/information-...w-has-a-service-pack-2-but-dont-call-it-that/ it is called a "convenience rollup" and info can be found Here. There do seem to be alot of caveats and known issues, but the fixes are listed. It is worth noting however, that this page did not lead me to a download link. It directed me to the download center which did not return the results I was looking for, ie the convenience rollup for Windows 7. Many other rollups, but not the right one unfortunately.

A little more looking turned up https://www.thurrott.com/windows/67...ig-difference-windows-7-updating-still-broken which has a bit about the rollup in the middle of the article with a working link. The filename is windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64 ... which incidentally is written about by microsoft, but not available in the downloads.

wonder if i can get this to work with windows 3.1x?

That may have been a troll post :D People don't understand why anyone would want to install an old OS, as if it's the only OS on the system :D

I think people get lucky when they successfully install Windows XP, there are a few crucial things that need to be done when setting the BIOS device boot list.
*BOTH* UEFI and non-UEFI versions of the Windows XP installation media need to be on the boot list but you should select to boot from the non-UEFI version. And if you don't disconnect other drives, particularly newer M.2 drives, Windows XP may try to write to them and crash the entire installation process. It is crucial to physically disconnect everything else when installing Windows XP.

I installed Windows XP from scratch again and made major revisions about what to look out for.

Hello
when installing WinXP I have to add drivers for SATA AHCI, FIRADISK and USB3. (Ikdybych only add to the SATA setup to dont see my drive, it does not matter, I do it all the time)
and the problem occurs when you select a disk, run the installation so I jump up these errors. When all skip (ESC) so WinXP installed, but now when loading Windows XP logo screen that fits the blue death. Does anyone know what to do?

PHOTO with ERRORS
and
PHOTO with BLUE SCREEN

I keep getting "can not copy file...." errors. First missing one is always firadisk.sys

Any ideas?

Starting idea would be that
-ASUS AHCI driver for XP
and
-ASUS Tools and files for W7/XP USB installation

listed in original post were downloaded for the thread topic's Skylake ASUS Z170-A motherboard.
If you are using a different chipset, and did not download the correct version of those tools for your exact motherboard chipset, perhaps that is the problem?

Thanks! Reviewed the Asus 0722.pdf again and think I may have found the problem (xp iso needs to have floppy support enabled). Using an asrock board so a couple drivers are different but the process is pretty much the same.

So frustrating because I had it working perfectly before (with full ahci, USB, etc support and no need for add-in usb card).

Hello guys, i had a problem with Windows XP/2003 and XP x64. All windows versions before Vista get a BSOD ACPI_BIOS_ERROR (0xA5) on boot (setup, normal boot,etc). Is possible make windows 5.x work on newer system? My motherboard is H1110 chipset, but i think that error occour because this motherboard use ACPI 5.0 specfication.

Different files are needed for different chipsets.
I figured out how to do it on a Z170 Skylake chipset only.

Hi,

Thanks for the good opening post. It really helps.
I have an Asus Z170 Pro Gaming with an Intel 6700K on it. I disconnected the DVD drive and graphics card. So only RAM, USB (kingston 8gb), Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor and SSD are connected with the motherboard.

I did what the OP said, but when I want to install Windows XP, I keep getting the error "can not copy file firadisk.sys".
On the USB stick I copied the "Install OS from USB", the files that were in the directory XP\USB root. I olso copied the iaStor files on the USB root. I also did the steps with RMprepUSB. In the installation of Windows XP, I activated the drivers with F6/F7.

What do i wrong? Can you help me?

Thanks!

Since your motherboard chipset is identical top mine, steps 6 and 7 require these files, and make sure you do everything as instructed.
It's complicated and time-consuming but it can boot in.

06. Extract ASUS Tools and files for W7/XP USB file Install OS from USB.rar

http://downloads.hwbot.org/downloads/tools/Z170/ASUS/Install OS from USB.rar

Copy contents of folder Install OS from USB\XP\USB root to USB Flash Drive's root directory.

07. Extract ASUS AHCI driver for XP file iaStor_skl, that means unzip these files:

View attachment iaStor_skl.zip

Copy contents of folder iaStor_skl to USB Flash Drive's root directory.

Thanks for your answer.

Still it isn't working.. I do exactly what the steps do..
screenshot.png
This is what is on de USB. The 2 unpakked files + XP.iso. The USB is prepared with that RMtool.

screen2.jpeg
I added the 3 drivers in the installer, as you can see.

screen3.jpeg
I want too install it on the C: drive, wich is an Samsung EVO SSD.

screen5.jpeg
I select "no changes".

screen4.jpeg
And after a few seconds I get this.. What am I doing wrong? Can you help me?

Thank you very much.

I seem to remember also having a similar problem initially and I am trying to remember how I fixed it. Be sure to do this:

You *DO NEED* to go into BIOS and setup your BOOT order and have NON-UEFI Windows XP installation media first, and drive you are installing Windows XP to second. Every other drive disabled, if they were not already disconnected from the computer, which they should be.

- - - Updated - - -

I also want to tell you that I do have a working Windows XP on a motherboard virtually identical to yours and that driver support is non existent so you have to have a LAN card to connect to the internet which I never tried to do...

I seem to remember also having a similar problem initially and I am trying to remember how I fixed it. Be sure to do this:

You *DO NEED* to go into BIOS and setup your BOOT order and have NON-UEFI Windows XP installation media first, and drive you are installing Windows XP to second. Every other drive disabled, if they were not already disconnected from the computer, which they should be.

- - - Updated - - -

I also want to tell you that I do have a working Windows XP on a motherboard virtually identical to yours and that driver support is non existent so you have to have a LAN card to connect to the internet which I never tried to do...

screen6.jpeg
My boot order is like this. In the tab "Secure Boot" the default was "UEFI Windows". I changed that to "Other OS" .

Thanks for the information about the network driver. Lucky me, I don't need network on this machine :) .

I mean internet. There are no motherboard drivers so there is no motherboard sound or internet LAN driver under Windows XP. So you need cards to get that to work, which I have not tried.
Just wanted to make sure you know that.
BIOS is good.
Are you using a modified Windows ISO which you used before to install it somewhere else, you know, modified with nLite to include AHCI drivers... just making sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure your SSD is connected to regular SATA connectors, not the ones on the side... So one of the 4 regular SATA not SATA Express etc.

Ah thanks for telling me. If I get Windows XP working, I will buy an Windows XP supported Audio card.

I am not using an modified windows ISO. I have an Windows ISO with service pack 3. So I have to include the AHCI drivers with nLite? I will search for an tutorial then :) .

The SSD is connected to port 5. I searched it in the manual, that is an normal SATA port. Ports 1 and 2 are SATA express.

Okay. So first of all, I think it's very important that you understand that they made it almost impossible to use Windows XP on modern chipsets.
It can be installed with *heavy* limitations.
You should have a dual boot like [Windows 8 + Classic Shell] for every day use but Windows XP is just for fun/specific use on modern chipsets.

First I was going to get USB ports working under Windows XP, then I was going to use something like this:

USB Stereo Sound Adapter.jpg

Then I was going to see if I can use either a USB to ethernet adapter or a LAN card for internet. But I stopped messing with this after installing Windows XP...

If you understand that this is just for fun and want to spend time/effort/money on this then eventually you will be able to boot in.

I use a modified Windows XP iso that has the unofficial unreleased Service Pack 4 INTEGRATED into the iso as well as AHCI drivers integrated into the iso, this is how Windows XP is installed on the last chipsets that can still use Intel i7 CPUs before UEFI BIOS motherboards came out. So we would have to first get you to do all that, integrate SP4 and AHCI drivers into the original ISO.

- - - Updated - - -

Read everything in here:

View attachment nLite 1.4.9.3.zip

Then read the second spoiler about integrating SP4 into Windows XP ISO in post#1 of this thread.

Last edited:
Hi. Thanks for this useful guide. I've followed everything said here but when I try boot into Windows when it's done installing the mouse and keyboard don't work. I don't think I have any ps2 keyboards so is there any way around this?

I already installed the drivers for asmedia when I pressed f6.

EDIT: Never mind I got it to work but I can't get my intel I219-v to work because there's no drivers for XP.

Last edited:
Back