• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New ITX build :airflow, PSU and COOLER-RAM clearance, noise. Need for an opinion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JekhoOne

Registered
Hi all. I am going to build my 2nd PC after 10 years and you can find here under the main components that i have in mind :

– Case -> Bitfenix Colossus Mini ITX
– Motherboard -> Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
– PSU -> Corsair CP-9020090-EU (RM550x)
– CPU Cooler -> Termalright APX200 Muscle
– CPU -> Intel Skylake 6600
– SSD -> M.2 Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
– Video Card -> Gigabyte Nvidia GV-N970IXOC-4GD Scheda Video
– RAM -> Corsair Vengeance LPX Memoria DDR4 da 16GB, BiancoCMK16GX4M2B3000C15W
– FAN Case -> 140mm BitFenix 14cm Spectre LED PWM blu
– FAN Case -> 120mm Enermax Case T.B. Silence Ventola, 12 cm, Nero

I would like to have feedback for following questions.

Taking into account case dimension, CPU cooler, GPU fan, case fan (140mm front intake, 120mm rear/top extraction) do you think that above solution can be quiet ?

I am concerned by the video card : do you think that one FAN solution of mini GTX 970 can be an issue in such kind of installation ?

RM650x will fit properly in Colossus mini PSU slot, without problems ?

Considering SFF CPU cooler is the istallation of memory stick feasible (i check for a low profile DDR4 and it seems that vengeance LPX can be the right choice) ?

Any other suggestion is welcome.

J

Last edited:
When I copy/paste PN of that PSU then I get RM550. I can tell you that RM550 will fit to any case and is more than enough for this specs. I have one and I was using it in Bitfenix Prodigy ITX for some time. It's also really quiet ( runs passive during lower load ) but best if it takes cold air from the outside of the case as it can get hot.
I would check GTX1060 ITX cards. Should generate less heat and noise.
Also better idea seems i5 6600K as you can lower the voltage and still overclock it.

Opsss...yes you are right PN of PSU is related to RM550x :D.
I fact it was the first choice : it seems not providing enough SATA linen as i need. It is not true: i need 4 SATA and RM550x can allow 6 connection. Thanks for the remarks and the answer, i will go for RM550x. What about FAN noise and airflow configurations ?

About GTX1060, i didn't find comparison or usefull information vs GTX970. If you will be able it will be a great thing !

Hi
J

Last edited:
At the end i have "solved" some topic, but still remains doubt about airflow.
The new build will be :

– Case -> Bitfenix Colossus Mini ITX
– Motherboard -> MSI H170I PRO AC, H170, DualDDR4-2133, SATA3, M.2, HDMI, DVI, USB 3.1, mITX
– PSU -> Corsair CP-9020090-EU (RM550x)
– CPU Cooler -> Termalright APX200 Muscle
– CPU -> Intel Skylake 6600
– SSD -> M.2 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB
– Video Card -> ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 AMP, 6GB GDDR5 (192 Bit), HDMI, DVI, 3xDP
– RAM -> DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) 2133MHz CL13 1.2V
– FAN Case Front-> 140mm BitFenix 14cm Spectre LED PWM blu
– FAN Case Rear-> be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120mm PWM fan, 18,5 dBA

So, gtx 1060 is the best solution at the moment and it will fit properly.[Solved]
RM550x it will fit also. [ Solved]
No interference between cooler and RAM height. [Solved]

Big doubt still remains on airflow configuration, also because the choice of MSI H170I doesn't provide 2 PWM connector for case FAN and i don't want to use a triple splitter : so 2 FAN used, 140mm as an intake and 120mm as an exhaust.

Any idea an/or suggestions ?

J

Use a powered splitter like this one, then you can control them all without stressing the motherboard:
http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx

Yes, you are totally right. I've already taken into account such kind of PWM splitter (Flexa FP3S from Akasa, that allow my first choice of 3 FAN), but i would like to avoid further cable managment (alim SATA) from the PSU.
In any case, thanks for the suggestion and, if you provided it, it means that airflow configuration i have in mind is not useful enough. So, maybe another 120mm on the top as an exhaust can be ok ? Do you have an opinion about it ?

Thx
J

P.S. : or maybe i have to post the questions in other section...

The real question to see what your airFLOW is doing is to see what your load temps are on a long test.

The real question to see what your airFLOW is doing is to see what your load temps are on a long test.

So,if i well understood it is needed to build the PC and perform a stress test in order to check temp\noise. Mmm...is there at list a theoretical approach to use as starting point?

J

Best starting point is to see what cooling arrangements people have used in the same case and see what their temps were.

Should one 140 mm intake and one 120 mm exhaust be enough? Yes. Do I know for sure? No.

Best starting point is to see what cooling arrangements people have used in the same case and see what their temps were.

Should one 140 mm intake and one 120 mm exhaust be enough? Yes. Do I know for sure? No.

In fact, but i didn't found any build that could clearly show a specific airflow inside a Colossus mini. I will continue my search :comp:

J

Back