• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED New Mini-ITX built:after first SO installation, no post, no power on, no fan...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JekhoOne

Registered
Hi all.
Some days ago I've performed my new build installation. First time with mini-itx components.
Here under the specification :

Case : Bitfenix Prodigy
PSU : Corsair RM550x
MOBO : Asus H170i Pro AC
CPU : i5 6600
CPU Cooler : APX-200 Muscle
RAM : 2x8 DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2133 MHz
GPU : Palit Geforce GTX 1060 dual ;
SSD : M.2 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB
HDD : 2xSATA III (TOSHIBA DT01ABA300 3TB + WD 2TB)
System FANS : Fractal Venturi PWM 14 (front in) + Fractal Venturi PWM 12 (rear ex)
Misc : Silverstone SST-LS01A LED Light Strip - Blu

After complete installation, the built powered on without problem and i performed Q-FAN tuning saving the parameter from BIOS.
After that, also Windows 10 Pro 64bit (July 2016 version) installation has been completed successfully.
The only driver installation has been done by Windows for GTX 1060 GPU. I have connected to built-in ASUS wi-fi device my bluetooth keyboard and speaker.
After that i have tried some video playback and internet navigation. All worked well and quikly.
I have shoot down in nominal way, from SO, the system switch of the PSU.

After 10 minutes i have tried to power on again the PC switch on the PSU : nothing happened !! :eek:
I have tried and tried again the power on without success. Only one green led light up near the RAM and fonr wich no information present in user manual.

I start to cry and search a feedback on Google and you Forum (compliments for usefull and well written technical information). So I performed all the test included in your "no post" check list disconnecting all cable, clearing CMOS with and without battery, shortcircuit power sw pin, etc...
The only test that remains is paper clip verification on PSU : but i don't know if corsair PSU will activate fan without nominal load.
Only not nominal condition : i didn't install power and HDD led, cause case connector was broken.

Please help me, I am totally desperate ! I would like in any case to find the issue or the broken device without buy again something the, maybe, is working well.
I would like to come back to th 30 minutes when the PC worked well and very quickly ... :cry:

Last edited:
If your power switch is broken how are you turning it on? Short the pins? Are you sure you are shorting the correct ones?

The two connected with red need to be shorted with a screwdriver or similar object.
pwr.JPG

Last edited:
If your power switch is broken how are you turning it on? Short the pins? Are you sure you are shorting the correct ones?

Ehm...i didn't wrote that the power sw is broken, but that power led indication connector is out of service. The two connector are separated. In any case i tried to startup also trhough the short circuit of two PIN driving the power on, as described in ASUS user manual.

J

I thought that's what you meant by this
Only not nominal condition : i didn't install power and HDD led, cause case connector was broken.
But I guess you just meant the LED indicator, no worries.

How long did you leave the battery out? Try 15 minutes
I assume you don't have any extra parts to try either?
Is the build still in the case? If so you are likely going to have to remove it to verify there isn't a short anywhere. Like the cooler backplate touching the board.

How long did you leave the battery out? Try 15 minutes

Few minutes. I will try as you suggested.

I assume you don't have any extra parts to try either?

Yes, you are right. When i was able to install the SO i sell the old parts.

Is the build still in the case? If so you are likely going to have to remove it to verify there isn't a short anywhere. Like the cooler backplate touching the board.

Yes it is. I will do it. Even if between backplate screw and the board there are insulated flat ring. Someone suggested to tri also to remove one memory stick...could be usefull ?

J

Yep that's a good diagnostic tool and try each one seperately in different slots. Help narrow down where the problem lies

Update : i have performed paper clip test on PSU with an old HDD and led strip connected. PSU fan start to spins and both devices are powered. FAN stop to spin after 10-20 seconds : i suppose because this behaviour is compliant with quiet operation of such kind of power supply.
So, i start to dismount the mobo :(

J

Yep you PSU sounds fine. When you set it back up start with minimal parts. CPU/1 stick of ram, GFX card and see if it'll get to bios.

Before you tear it down try disconnecting all the old HDDs. You could also try starting it without the GFX card and use the onboard video

Again : nothing happens :(

Testing only one RAM slot (2 test in both slot with the available stick) no power on (PSU fan no start to spin).
It is like mobo not able to close circuit towards PSU.

Other suggestion ?

J

Motherboard might be dead. If it's not the PSU then most likely it's a dead mobo.

Make sure you remove the GFX card and try it with just the onboard graphics.

Still doubt on PSU ? I can check with a tester the 24PIN + 4 cables voltage.

Quite difficult to be not sure of Dual FAN GTX 1060 removal :D

J

I think he is referring to the graphics onboard the i5 CPU...not taking apart your separate GPU!!! :D

I would check to make sure that you have the front panel connections properly into the motherboard...the way you had to turn it off makes me think something is up here.

The next one is a silly question (but I have done this more than once):
- Are you SURE that you have the monitor plugged into the correct port?
--- You will have a monitor port on your motherboard, as well as the monitor port on the GPU.
--- If you are plugged into the motherboard connector, with a GPU installed...you will see nothing even though it's running fine.

I would check to make sure that you have the front panel connections properly into the motherboard...the way you had to turn it off makes me think something is up here.

You are right. The behaviour is like power button is not able to close the circuit towards the PSU. But i tried with short circuit the power pin and using reset SW on power PIN. Nothing happens.

--- You will have a monitor port on your motherboard, as well as the monitor port on the GPU.
--- If you are plugged into the motherboard connector, with a GPU installed...you will see nothing even though it's running fine.

I beg your pardon, but i think there is a misunderstanding due to my poor english : there is nothing to see. PSU is not powered on, system FANs not spinning, CPU FAN not spinning, HDD not powered, led strip not powered. In any case, yes i connect hdmi cable to on board GPU.

- - - Updated - - -

You are right. The behaviour is like power button is not able to close the circuit towards the PSU. But i tried with short circuit the power pin and using reset SW on power PIN. Nothing happens.

I beg your pardon, but i think there is a misunderstanding due to my poor english : there is nothing to see. PSU is not powered on, system FANs not spinning, CPU FAN not spinning, HDD not powered, led strip not powered. In any case, yes i connect hdmi cable to on board GPU.

What can block totaly the startup before the POST ?

J

if he slowed the fans down for the cpu- there is a chance that it is low enough to not be able to start spinning and could then keep the computer from booting. some have built in cpu fan speed protection. maybe a bios reset would solve the issue

To put it another way, take the Nvidia graphics card out and try using the video built into the cpu/motherboard.

if he slowed the fans down for the cpu- there is a chance that it is low enough to not be able to start spinning and could then keep the computer from booting. some have built in cpu fan speed protection. maybe a bios reset would solve the issue

Already done. Cleared CMOS through short circuit on 2 RTC PIN (with and without battery connected for at least 15 minutes).

J

- - - Updated - - -

To put it another way, take the Nvidia graphics card out and try using the video built into the cpu/motherboard.

It is what i did testing mobo/CPU/RAM out of the case.

J

Update : after deep check with multimeter and paper clip test on PSU (successfully done) installed new CPU and RAM and a new, even if "secondhanded", fully working PSU : same issue, nothing started or powered on.
I suppose the issue is a dead mobo. I'am contacting reseller for RMA.

I will keep you updated.

J

With new mobo, all work well (since two days ago...let me cross my finger).

Thanks a lot for your support.

I think, in any case, after this experience that if no sign of power is retrieved after shortcircuit power ON pins, there are follow possibility :

- PSU
- MOBO
- something else (but after PSU power on)

J

Last edited:
Seems like of late we are getting more and more reports on the forum of bad out of the box motherboards produced by various manufacturers. Makes me wonder about the quality control of these companies these days.

Back