• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen build need ideas.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Okay so I am planning to build a Ryzen build need it for gaming but mainly for Audio Production and some Video Editing.

My budget is currently $550 but if someone buy my RX 480 GPU I may be around $810. What kind of setup can I do with that? I need the following, CPU, Motherboard, Memory, and a GPU. I don't care if is older since I only can game at 1080p. I don't mind keeping my GPU was just curious if is worth just selling it and getting something else that will play nice with a Ryzen setup. Thanks for your time.

Below what I am thinking of setting up from Amazon.

CPU: ? AMD YD1700BBAEBOX Ryzen 7 1700 Processor with Wraith Spire LED Cooler
MOBO: ? MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM
RAM: ? Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz (PC4-25600) C16 Memory Kit - Black

The following I have below;

GPU: XFX - Hard Swap Edition AMD Radeon RX 480 RS 8 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card with White LED Backlight
COOLER: Noctua NH-D15 6 heatpipe with Dual NF-A15 140mm fans
SSD: PNY XLR8 480GB CS2111 Internal 2.5 inch SATA III Solid State Drive with 560 MB/s read speed
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B1, 80+ BRONZE 750W, Semi Modular, 5 Year Warranty,
CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower

Last edited:
Do you live near a microcenter? This has impact on Mobo discounts and, given their current sale, maybe even cpu. I'd say the GPU you have should be sufficient, and would free up budget for other items. IE- performance gain by taking a loss on the GPU would negatively impact you budget.

Do you live near a microcenter? This has impact on Mobo discounts and, given their current sale, maybe even cpu. I'd say the GPU you have should be sufficient, and would free up budget for other items. IE- performance gain by taking a loss on the GPU would negatively impact you budget.

I see good point myfriend and the nearest Micro Center to me is 4hours away in Denver CO. =/

- - - Updated - - -

I'd go intel for gaming now....

Hey EarthDog I may be able to get a Classifier K motherboard and a 6700K CPU for a lot cheaper but been hesitant to do so unless is a best route for an Audio production kind of guy like myself. What you recommend?

Last edited:
Not worth selling the GPU for 1080p, IMO.

For Audio/Video prod, I'd go 32GB of RAM.

I run low on Ram with 16GB when working on heavy files in PS, so my guess is that Video editing is even tougher on the memory.

Not worth selling the GPU for 1080p, IMO.

For Audio/Video prod, I'd go 32GB of RAM.

I run low on Ram with 16GB when working on heavy files in PS, so my guess is that Video editing is even tougher on the memory.
Oh okay yes was thinking 16minum but it all depends if I got Intel or Ryzen which CPU and motherboard to grab. That's were I am stuck at.

I'd go 1700 + Asrock X370.

Not a nice experience with MSI and AMD in the past, and it seems the CHVI has some Bios issues ATM.

I would purchase the 1700 and the ASRock Fatal1ty AB350, from what I have seen all motherboards overclock the same.

I don't think I would recommend Ryzen for work at this stage. Boards are not fully stable ( or at least not all ). Memory support is limited and software is not always fully compatible. I would get intel if it's pc more for work than general home entertainment.

I would purchase the 1700 and the ASRock Fatal1ty AB350, from what I have seen all motherboards overclock the same.

This would be the best idea IF going with Ryzen, what people are seeing are chip limitations not board from what I've gathered.

1700+B350 is unbeatable multi-threaded value, and good gaming performance.

If you live near a microcenter, the 1700x is on sale right now for $350. At $20 more for a 400mhz base clock increase, I'd say it's a good deal :)

Something to consider. Donno how the 1700x fairs on a B350. The 1700x runs hotter from what people are saying, good possibility it draws more power from the board, but that isn't necessarily the case.

I second that motion. The Ryzen 1700 is a great performer, but like all Ryzen 7s, not much of an overclocker. So I'd get a cheap B350, some inexpensive DDR4 and call it a day.

If you live near a microcenter, the 1700x is on sale right now for $350. At $20 more for a 400mhz base clock increase, I'd say it's a good deal :)

Something to consider. Donno how the 1700x fairs on a B350. The 1700x runs hotter from what people are saying, good possibility it draws more power from the board, but that isn't necessarily the case.
I just checked an the 1700X is still listed at $400 at Microcenter.

I was talking about when clocked to the same speed...

I'm assuming he is going to OC it... As this is an OC forum.

My bad, I guess I just thought you meant out of the box (for an OC forum, there's a surprising amount of people not overclocking lately).
Looking at what little power consumption specs are out, it does still seem like the 1700x is around 5w more when they're both running 4ghz so your assumption that it uses more power might be a valid point. Seems like most people are getting the 1700 or the 1800x, not a lot of data out on the 1700x (probably because the 1700 is such a great value for overclockers).

My bad, I guess I just thought you meant out of the box (for an OC forum, there's a surprising amount of people not overclocking lately).
Looking at what little power consumption specs are out, it does still seem like the 1700x is around 5w more when they're both running 4ghz so your assumption that it uses more power might be a valid point. Seems like most people are getting the 1700 or the 1800x, not a lot of data out on the 1700x (probably because the 1700 is such a great value for overclockers).
NP. The comment made me feel like you were trolling me til I realized I didn't communicate what I meant. So that's my bad. I'm glad I didn't post my original post, cause then I'd totally feel like an a-hole! [emoji14]

With the microcenter sale though.... $30 for a higher base clock chip? I want it! Gotta sell some more stuff... :(

Thanks all for a great thread and discussion, I ended up picking up the 6700K and Classified from Atminside instead.

Back