• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is your idle fan noise?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

Step 1:

Get a decibel measuring app for your phone.

Step 2: Test

My fans more or less stay at the same speed all of the time (most controlled via fan controller)

right now according to my iPhone decibel app it's 60DB in here where I sit, peaking at 64.

There are about 12 fans in my computer, most are Yate Loon High Speeds, Scythe Slipstreams, and the occasional Masscool trying really hard to be a Delta (https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=CA-FD12038)

Obvioously an app isn't going to be very accurate but eh you get the idea.

What's your idle fan noise?

Last edited:
20659961736_b9a321f575.jpg

2 denkis, 2 adda, 2 papst, and 1 scrapped out of a dead SS PSU.
took the SS 1 year back but nothing change till today, the noise level still keeps my sanity intact.

If you want to have even remotely comparable numbers you need to specifically define a distance away from the case.

I have my 6700k rig less than ~1m away from where I sit and under full load it's around ~60 dB using iPhone app called "Decibel 10th"... once I finish my benchmark I'll test it on idle. I'm using 5x Fractal Design HP14s (these things are super quiet until they get to 90-100% PWM), 1x GP14 in the bottom and 1x GP12 in the back as exhaust (loudest fan in the case).

EDIT: 45 dB on idle with the Nano top grill cover off. I plan to replace the GP12/GP14s with a HP12/HP14s and make a cutout in the top grill cover so I can take advantage of the noise dampening material. Hoping to get sub-40 dB @ 1m :D

Last edited:
I have my 6700k rig less than ~1m away from where I sit and under full load it's around ~60 dB using iPhone app called "Decibel 10th"... once I finish my benchmark I'll test it on idle. I'm using 5x Fractal Design HP14s (these things are super quiet until they get to 90-100% PWM), 1x GP14 in the bottom and 1x GP12 in the back as exhaust (loudest fan in the case).

EDIT: 45 dB on idle with the Nano top grill cover off. I plan to replace the GP12/GP14s with a HP12/HP14s and make a cutout in the top grill cover so I can take advantage of the noise dampening material. Hoping to get sub-40 dB @ 1m :D

are you talking about the "mat" type dampening materials?

and if it really happens,
would you be so kind to share your temps before and after you add the dampening materials stuff :cheers:

Back