• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TRUE and Megahalems: Performance with different fan configurations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay guys, let's start up a fund for NH-D14 testing... unfortunately I can't contribute as I'm more than broke.

http://www.clunk.org.uk/reviews/noctua-nh-d14-premium-cpu-cooler-review/Page-6.html

If you scroll down to the chart, if you take the Noctua cooler with 2 120mm fans (54cfm noctua fans) and compare it with a mega at the same 2 fans, their load temps are exactly the same according their research.

They show the cooler with 3 fans. So then you have a push-pull/push-pull setup. That may change temps a small bit but its the same diminishing returns as adding another fan, then it won't be much. For example, you take the megahalem with 1 fan and add another fan, the temp difference if 1-3C, if you were to somehow be able to add a 3rd fan, its temp difference would be .5-1.5C from having 2 fans.

Still a good theory to test.
I got a feeling that since from graphs i seen in these 2 threads of TRUE vs MEGA, the mega works way better with medium and high fans, so it would still be good competition for the noctua cooler. True on the other hand would still hold its own vs the other 2.

http://www.clunk.org.uk/reviews/noctua-nh-d14-premium-cpu-cooler-review/Page-6.html

If you scroll down to the chart, if you take the Noctua cooler with 2 120mm fans (54cfm noctua fans) and compare it with a mega at the same 2 fans, their load temps are exactly the same according their research.

They show the cooler with 3 fans. So then you have a push-pull/push-pull setup. That may change temps a small bit but its the same diminishing returns as adding another fan, then it won't be much. For example, you take the megahalem with 1 fan and add another fan, the temp difference if 1-3C, if you were to somehow be able to add a 3rd fan, its temp difference would be .5-1.5C from having 2 fans.

Still a good theory to test.
I got a feeling that since from graphs i seen in these 2 threads of TRUE vs MEGA, the mega works way better with medium and high fans, so it would still be good competition for the noctua cooler. True on the other hand would still hold its own vs the other 2.

35n07qv.png.jpg

They used two NF-P12's on the Mega and TRUE if anyone's wondering.

Right now I am messing around with my TRUE and seeing which mount works the best. I bought the new revision mount a few weeks ago and I like the way it clamps the heatsink much better, but only if you use the original style or Swiftech's back plate. The one that comes with the new rev mount has longer threaded parts that stick up through the mobo, making for a sloppy fit to the bracket on the mobo and a bit less tension on the heatsink. But it holds it much more securely than the old style scissors mount. I just ran 1 run with the new mount using a Swiftech back plate, now I am running the original scissors bracket with the swifty back plate and seeing what temps do. I guess I might even try a run with the back plate that came with the new mount and see if the sloppiness affects temps.

Interesting. I have the new Revision C TRUE Black as well, but since I'm an AM2+ user I was stuck with the old scissor mount. I don't mind it at all, though I did washer mod it. With the washer mod it fits very securely, cannot twist it at all.

Heh, actually that mount you have for AM2 is the second revision mount. The first revision AM2 mount they came out with was made much like the original Ultra 120 775 mount, except for AM2 of course. It held it securely, but the drawback to it was that you could only mount in one orientation because of AMD's bolt pattern. If the mobo manufacturer rotated the socket the wrong way, then you would have the heatsink mounted to where it exhausts towards the psu or the vid card. That new rev AM2 mount is much better, IMO.

Back