• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

On the fence. New Intel build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd wait for zen at this point...

It will be a bottleneck vs Intel cpu in some titles, yes. Again, check out some reviews at techspot to see. :)

Compared to Intel stuff, the 9570 will last someting like minus 2 years (or 3 ;) ).

Not an Intel fanboy, hey S_P, but it's just the way it is.

What the heck, grab a Zen with Win10.

No matter what, in a couple of years that is the OS you will be using! Just a deferment...

And if you are into benching, there will still be some work around to run win7 on it I am sure!
Won't be using Win10 in the foreseeable future no. There's nothing Win10 offers that 7 doesn't do for me that I'm aware of. Maybe DX12, but I'd need to test Win10 out for a month or so. I already hate the stupid "modern" look of it let alone the auto updating and auto restarting. But that's for another thread.

Either wait for Zen or jump ship to Intel now. I personally wouldn't buy a 9xxx series chip.
I guess, it's hard to swallow but, the AM3+ socket is truly dead :(

Won't be using Win10 in the foreseeable future no. There's nothing Win10 offers that 7 doesn't do for me that I'm aware of. Maybe DX12, but I'd need to test Win10 out for a month or so. I already hate the stupid "modern" look of it let alone the auto updating and auto restarting. But that's for another thread.

I guess, it's hard to swallow but, the AM3+ socket is truly dead :(

Yes, you will use windows 10 in a foreseable future... Because if you don't, and are not a Linux user, your PC will be as useful as... Well, let's say a current rig running windows 3.1...

It is not if you will use windows 10, it is when ;)

Yes, you will use windows 10 in a foreseable future... Because if you don't, and are not a Linux user, your PC will be as useful as... Well, let's say a current rig running windows 3.1...

It is not if you will use windows 10, it is when ;)

There is a massive difference between Windows 7 and 3.1. That's apples to oranges.

Unless I can make Windows 10 act and look like 7 I'm unlikely to make the switch. Especially if I cannot have the same update style like Windows 7 (check but not download). Auto restarting after updating is a huge turn off for me as well. I also hate the whole Metro UI very much so. I want nothing to do with it.

If I can't disable that in Win10, I will stay with Windows 7 until 2020 and even then probably years after that.

That said, I am downloading the Windows 10 ISO via the media creation tool to install to this very system. I want to test it out for myself. If I can tweak it to my liking I'll probably switch to it should I decided to go with Zen or Kaby lake. Skylake is looking very attractive right now with full Win7 support.

Or Linux...

Check post #43

S_P, it is very simple: MS wants peopkle to use Win10, so they will push OEM's, developpers, software companies to develop for Win10 and kill Win7. As simple as that... And your Win7 will be as usefull as a fridge in Antartica!

Check post #43

S_P, it is very simple: MS wants peopkle to use Win10, so they will push OEM's, developpers, software companies to develop for Win10 and kill Win7. As simple as that... And your Win7 will be as usefull as a fridge in Antartica!

I will dual boot Win7/Win10 and tweak Win10 to my liking. That way I have Win10 and 7.

I'm thinking I'll leave it this way for a while. I don't plan on buying Kaby Lake. It'll be Skylake at best, but at least if I have Win10 tweaked the way I like it, I can upgrade to Kaby Lake and up in the future leaving my Win7 behind.......

I've talked to c627627 about Win10 via PMs, and he seems to have a solution for all my Win10 issues so with his help I can grow to like Win10 I think. It'll take time though.
Who would have thought I'd do a 360 on Win10 within a few hours? From hating it to it's not so bad....

Gotta remember they've killed XP but it's still useable on many systems, even Skylake if you're determined.

Gotta remember they've killed XP but it's still useable on many systems, even Skylake if you're determined.

Sure, but no drivers support, no dx12, lack a lot of useful functionalities.

And it seems that MS is determined more than ever to push people to switch to win10.

We are prisoner of MS policy, unless using an alternative OS (not talking about Mac OS, Apple being even bigger control freaks than MS...).

So yes, it will be possible to use win7 in the foreseeable future, but at the cost of missing a lot of features, software that will be available for win10 only.

How well do 6700K's overclock? 4.5Ghz the average?
4790k?

4.8Ghz on water unreasonable? Or is that golden chip only?

4.5-4.7ghz is normal for both. 4.8ghz may require more voltage than recommended for some chips. 4.6-4.7 is generally very doable. Above that goes beyond ye old point of diminishing returns I guess

6700K here I come!

Capture.PNG

Now I just need to find a good mobo for this... Not sure what to get there. I like gigabyte but their AMD boards have me questioning their Intel ones.
ASUS is nice but I want nothing to do with their CS. ASRock? They good for Intel? I liked their old Athlon/duron AMD boards. They seemed quite capable.

Is there any real difference between the ASRock Extreme 6+ and 7+ besides more PCIe slots and 3 M.2 ports?

I think i'll be going with ASRock for this 6700k

6700K here I come!

View attachment 185416

Now I just need to find a good mobo for this... Not sure what to get there. I like gigabyte but their AMD boards have me questioning their Intel ones.
ASUS is nice but I want nothing to do with their CS. ASRock? They good for Intel? I liked their old Athlon/duron AMD boards. They seemed quite capable.

2436068-hemmu_cv1.jpg

YOOOOUU HAAAAAVE THEE POOOWWEEEEERRRR!!!

Congrats fellow Canadian friend. You will enjoy it.

2436068-hemmu_cv1.jpg

YOOOOUU HAAAAAVE THEE POOOWWEEEEERRRR!!!

Congrats fellow Canadian friend. You will enjoy it.
Thanks! :)
I can't wait to get it all together!

It'll be some time before I will be using it. Need mobo, PSU, RAM and new watercooling blocks plus might as well grab one of the heatkiller blocks for the EVGA 1070 FTW since that's the GPU i'll be buying someday.

I already know the monitor my dad bought me for Christmas, an LG 29UM68*P. I'll be wall mounting it so the 780 will be retired to full time F@H duties when that happens.

With this new rig i can finally play Minecraft all done up and modded at 60FPS constant.​ lol

Back