• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Toying of the Idea of Upgrading GPU... Suggestions/Recommendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Ok I got an ok R9 290 card nothing spectacular with the OC on it due to cooling (see sig). I've had it for just over 2 years now. Its done well plays decently but like something with a little more punch. I can game at 1080p to 4k as I have the monitor for it and some games play nicely at the higher res. While playing at 1080p doesn't bother me that much what ever I do I like to have my settings maxed or as close to it as possible (exception seems to be shadows typically as its a heavy hitter on FPS). As well potential VR possible, which I know all GPU's will be able to handle in the range I'm looking. My current did decent with the Oculus DK2 kit when I had it though Im sure it could of used a little more umph at times, just future thinking

I really haven't been following GPU's for a while so starting to get back into the game here but my general knowledge for at least the new ones as follows:
nVidia 1080Ti - Future Top Dog - $$$$$ - OC Potential??? - Release Date???
nVidia 1080 - Top Dog - $$$$ - OC Potential???
nVidia 1070 - Still high end - $$$ - OC Potential??? - Don't know the performance difference between this and 1080
AMD 480X - AMD's higher end newer card - $$ - OC Potential???

I've typically been a $300-400 card buyer but if the card does nicely and worth it I'll consider spending a wee bit more. Thinking at least 2 year+ plan on the card would be nice which I've been treated nicely with my current GPU, and could probably go longer as well.

Anything else coming out in the next few months that has been spoken about?
Recommendations, Experiences at upgrading cards recently, etc...

I've typically been a $300-400 card buyer but if the card does nicely and worth it I'll consider spending a wee bit more. Thinking at least 2 year+ plan on the card would be nice which I've been treated nicely with my current GPU, and could probably go longer as well.

Then you may as well forget about the 1080's....$600+ ;)

I've a couple 1070's that I'm pleased with(both have Sammie vram)...but, I don't know exactly where things stand with their Micron issues at this time.

The RX 480 and GTX 1060 are pretty much even, guess it depends on your budget.
I'd likely go with the 1070

RX480 and GTX1060 won't be so much faster than the R9 290. Well it will be but I guess you expect some more so next stop is GTX1070 which runs really quiet and is already much faster than these 2 lower cards ( I have RX480 and GTX1070 at home so can compare ). At 1080p everything mentioned in this thread runs good. At 4k better wait for GTX1080Ti or like Witchy said till you see cheaper GTX1080 in ~3 months. GTX1070 will be probably good for 4K but I haven't been playing anything in 4K on GTX1070 so I can't say. There will be some driver improvements for GTX1000 series while I doubt that nvidia will improve GTX900 drivers. It doesn't change fact that linked 2 posts above GTX980Ti is in great price.

Yeah all cool about waiting and seeing. Just trying to get peoples take on it thinking what I should potentially save for. If the 1080Ti does come out here in the near future that would probably be worth waiting for at very least. And no a $600 isn't out of the picture, just want to make sure what I should be eyeing up is all.

Would there also be a 1070Ti? Are drivers better at holding their own with crossfire/sli or is it still hit or miss these days?

Copy past from: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...1060-or-1070?p=7951506&viewfull=1#post7951506

My suggestion for people asking about new GPUs is to stick with what your max resolution will be.

For 1080p monitors: RX 480 for price performance. The 1060 can do it plus give you upgrade potential. 480X requires overclocking to branch into 2K.

For 1440p or 2560 Ultra-wide: RX480/1060 for low end money saving. 1070/980Ti for upper end. Both the 1070 and 980Ti have a large potential to branch into WQHD or True 4k.

For WQHD or 4K: 1070/980Ti for low end, 1080 for WQHD sweet spot, Titan X Pascal for 4K sweet spot.

If your doing mini form factor, you will need to go back a generation until the latest cards get updated. mini form factors are one of the last cards to get adopted into the portfolio.

Back