• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help overclocking 4690K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rando424

i have a gigabyte z97mx gaming 5 mobo with the i5-4690K installed, corsair ballistix tactical tracer ram 8gbx2, MSI R9 280X GFX, EVGA supernova 750 G2, cooler NOctua NH-D14 all installed in a corsair gaming case
i am not a genius when it comes to overcloking but am looking for a safe clock state

Start there and as you run into problems post them up and we can help work through them.

I used to run a [email protected]/1.33v on a NH-D14. It will take the CPU almost as far as a custom loop (give or take a 100MHz...).

Edit: mine was de-lidded. Forgot about that. But still, the NH-D14 should handle up to 1.35 vCore.

For a safe clock state I stress test with Prime 95 and Realbench there free. For Maximum CPU temperature 90c

I've got a mild OC on 1.16v at 4.2ghz. So perhaps start around 1.2v for 4.2-4.4ghz rather than jumping up too quickly. 4.2 is very safe/mild. And if you get stable here, you can always bump up to 4.5ghz at a later date. Just remember to save the 4.2 profile so you always have your 'known safe' overclock that won't really push your cooler too hard. :).

I've got a mild OC on 1.16v at 4.2ghz. So perhaps start around 1.2v for 4.2-4.4ghz rather than jumping up too quickly. 4.2 is very safe/mild. And if you get stable here, you can always bump up to 4.5ghz at a later date. Just remember to save the 4.2 profile so you always have your 'known safe' overclock that won't really push your cooler too hard. :).

You could not reach 4.2GHz on stock voltage?

Default bios setting doesn't usually help because auto voltage fluctuates XD, especially with Turbo. I can run it at stock speeds on 1.05v, but I'd consider that undervolted.

1.16 sounds like stock, no?

It does look like stock voltage, my CPU has a higher VID. I was just wondering if Mjolnir used the default settings then raise the multiplier to 4.2GHhz with no other change, is it stable and what voltage.

I use stock DVID default voltage for my i5 6600k at 4.2GHz with prime95 it is 1.224v to 1.260v Max. With my overclock at 4.5GHz DVID is set to +0.075v then it is 1.272v to 1.332v Max with prime95.

Nah it's set manually but 1.16v is stable. But any higher than 4.2ghz requires fairly high bumps in voltage and in my ITX system with low RPM fans it's not really feasible to go higher.

Back