• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seeking heatsink with specific features

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brando

Is there a 140mm fan type heatsink out there that's at least as good as the spirit 140 power that has an offset so that the fins and fan will stay out of the way of anything lower in the case like a top add in card or side door fan? my newest x99 mobo has a lower cpu socket and now my heatsink bumps into the side panel fan if i use a 140mm. now i have to use a 120mm which fits fine but i'd rather not sacrifice exhaust if i don't have to. I also need to be sure the heatsink will have a sane mounting pressure that won't warp the cpu and isn't so massive that it bends the motherboard.

i had a megahalems that i sold and it was great for it's time but it's 120mm and probably won't have the mass to handle 6 cores oc'd. if i'm wrong let me know but i don't think it does 360watts. the nh-d14 and d15 are too big for me. i went with the spirit 140 power because it's a single tower single fan 140mm unit and is just within the limit of what i want hanging on my mobo. funny thing is the answer might be right in front of my face. i saw the reeven ouranos in an ocforums review today and it did quite well. Looks like it's half an inch shorter than the spirit 140 power which may be just enough. I still need to check it out a bit more.

Last edited:
Is there a 140mm fan type heatsink out there that's at least as good as the spirit 140 power that has an offset so that the fins and fan will stay out of the way of anything lower in the case like a top add in card or side door fan? my newest x99 mobo has a lower cpu socket and now my heatsink bumps into the side panel fan if i use a 140mm. now i have to use a 120mm which fits fine but i'd rather not sacrifice exhaust if i don't have to. I also need to be sure the heatsink will have a sane mounting pressure that won't warp the cpu and isn't so massive that it bends the motherboard.
Frankly, no, there isn't. It's a 6 8mm heatpipe cooler that uses 140mm fans and is 171mm tall. The overall height is your problem. There are not many to choose from, let alone one's that are non-interference. If you're willing to go to 120mm fans, then you'll have more choices to solve your fitment problems without sacrificing cooling power.

looking through the side panel grill and thinking back it was the heat pipe nubs that hit the 140mm side fan when i try to close the door. the ouranos doesn't have anything sticking up past the top plate and is half an inch shorter to boot. it is a bit heavier than the spirit 140p but still about 300g lighter than the nh-d15 when both have fans attached and the center of gravity will be lower because it's shorter. I think it might work! still waiting for a response from reeven about the mounting pressure conforming to intel spec.

Looks pretty beastly especially for the size
temps.JPG

Last edited:
still waiting for a response from reeven about the mounting pressure conforming to intel spec.
Every single manufacturer out there will tell you it conforms to Intel spec whether it does or not. You're wasting your time.

looks like reeven is related to scythe and uses the same type of dangerous mounting style to win in reviews. no springs and the torque is in the hands of the one with the screwdriver. with the same mounting style of "responsible" heatsinks the temps might not be anywhere near as good. i'm on the fence. then again the spirit 140 power goes on pretty snug too. when you tighten it down you keep expecting the screws to bottom out and it keeps going until the thing is tight as hell. guess i need to trust myself.

EDIT: I stand corrected. it looks like you run out of threaded area on the screws right when it's at the correct tightness (hopefully) so accidental over tightening shouldn't be a problem. The only sketchy thing is if the case gets moves around and bounced a little there are no springs to give way and absorb the schock so I guess you have to be extra careful and maybe even take the sink off during travel even moreso than usual. I think I'll give it a shot.

Last edited:
Two things I can suggest: the NH-D15S and the Fuma. The NH-D15S has a spring mount. I have had a discussion with my contact a Noctua, who is miffed by the high-pressure mounts out there. The D15S is shifted a cm over to clear space to fit cards in the 1st slot.

The Fuma is a 120mm heatsink that is not as wide nor as tall as the 140mm heatsinks.

An advantage to both heatsinks is that you can put low rpm fans on them to drop the noise way down. This works better on the Fuma, but it helps the NH-D15S too.

thanks for the advice. i have the reeven heatsink coming in already. it seems perfect for my needs since it seems to be short enough to clear my side panel fan. it doesn't look like you can over tighten the screws since they bottom out a quarter of the way up where the threads end. am i wrong about this?

that's ok thanks anyhow. i'll find out today unless i'm too lazy to install it.

Posting this for future reference. Temps are at 72f room temp with TRUE spirit 140 after 10 minutes of realbench stress test with 16gb ram enabled. will post same with reeven ouranos next with everything as close as possible for comparison.

TRUE SP140p.JPG

After installing the Ouranos I feel like I should clear a couple things up. I almost didn't buy it because of a few things I read about it on the net that aren't true. The cross bar that holds down the heatsink is slightly bendable and the screws do bottom out when it's at the right pressure. you just tighten it down a turn at a time alternating right/left/right/left like usual and when the screws won't turn any more you're done. No risk of crushing your socket by turning too far unless of course reeven has made a terrible mistake with the length of the screws which is possible but not probable. Also, the only review on newegg says that the offset design will interfere with the rear ram slots on x99 boards. on my asus x99a usb 3.1 there is plenty of clearance on both sides. the rumor about the fan being ugly is true and i decided to stick with my trusty noctua industrial 2000 rpm pwm. The heatsink feels very high quality and is actually pretty similar hardware wise to the true spirit 140 power as far as mounting style with slight differences. My testing isn't 100% scientific since it's cooled down 2 degrees since i tested the true spirity 140p and i had to turn on the central air to bring it back to 72f. Hot air was pumping into the room during testing but it should be close enough. Everything else including fans and TIM are identical except the mount is fresh and may settle in the next day or so and there's no dust on the ouranos since it's brand new. Each heatsink has an advantage and a disadvantage so it probably washes out and should be fair enough.

Reeven Ouranos wins by 1c max temp

ouranos.JPG

And the moment of truth *drumroll*

The side panel of the fractal R5 just barely fits now with a 140mm fan. I had to mount the cpu fan as low as physically possible but the coverage is still great. Even now the top of my side panel fan looks like it's actually touching the top of the heatsink a bit but I don't hear any vibrations or anything. Hopefully the low cpu fan mount will help since there will be more air hitting the thick fins on the base now. Who knows.

side panel.jpg

Last edited:
Back