• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick schooling on NVM drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
try to clear the cmos and see if you can get into bios directly afterwards

try to clear the cmos and see if you can get into bios directly afterwards

Already tried it several times. No change in behavior.

Edit: I'm going to pull the CPU and make sure the socket looks good.

my asus boards has worked with 4 out of 4 m.2 drives that I ahve tried. on thursday I expect to get the try the 960 pro.

At this point, I'm suspecting the motherboard given it never moves from the 00 code, and I can't get it to post to get into the bios, and no beeps.

when my board wont boot over the power settings it always gets stuck on 99 on the debug card

Well, I tried the Flashback option to upgrade to the latest bios. Didn't work. No change in behavior.

I guess it is time to contact support and see if they will let me RMA this board. :(

Quick question. Given that Newegg warranty is still in the return for replacement window, should I RMA it through them, or is it worth it to try and troubleshoot it more through ASUS first?

I would save the time and just rma with newegg. asus could take months as noted by many including myself

pull all the psu connecters from the motherboard and reconnect them, including the cpu power connecter.
either a bad psu, might try a fan plugged into the psu during boot, or a bad board.

pull all the psu connecters from the motherboard and reconnect them, including the cpu power connecter.
either a bad psu, might try a fan plugged into the psu during boot, or a bad board.

I've tried it with 2 PSUs. With just the CPU and the CPU fan, the fan turns on, but nothing else happens. Hold the power switch for 4 seconds and the fan turns off, along with the diagnostic LED numbers.

Newegg RMA approved and shipping label received.

sorry, it sucks to get new toys that are broken.

My guess is I might get a replacement around the end of next week. No shipping today. And it has to go back to LA, then 3 day shipping return, probably not from NJ.

Edit: and I got home and put my old motherboard back in and found out my 27" monitor had died. Power cable brick has a light on, but no lights on the monitor. :mad: :bang head

Last edited:
I've gotten in the new board. First boot got me into the BIOS, so the old board was obviously bad.

Now the issue is I can't get it to see the NVM drive. I've done the driver image modification according to the earlier post, with 2 of the 3 updates working, and the 3rd saying not needed, but as it is a patch on the second, I should at least be able to see the drive.

I've turned off fast boot, off secure boot, and turned on the 4_2 M.2 port where the NVM drive is installed. I've got it on Legacy instead of UEFI. Any suggestions on what I'm missing?

Well, after flashing to the latest BIOS version, I see that the BIOS doesn't see the NVMe drive.

My local Microcenter has 2 960 Evo NVMe drives in stock. Looksl like I'll head down there in the morning and pick one up. That looks to be my best option at this point. Anybody disagree?

read page 1-35 of the online manual, paying attention to the foot notes.
I am out of town right now so typing into this this is a pita.

I've gotten in the new board. First boot got me into the BIOS, so the old board was obviously bad.

Now the issue is I can't get it to see the NVM drive. I've done the driver image modification according to the earlier post, with 2 of the 3 updates working, and the 3rd saying not needed, but as it is a patch on the second, I should at least be able to see the drive.

I've turned off fast boot, off secure boot, and turned on the 4_2 M.2 port where the NVM drive is installed. I've got it on Legacy instead of UEFI. Any suggestions on what I'm missing?
why legacy? Should work just fine on UEFI...

1-25. 1-35 doesn't seem to exist.

That said, I have no idea what m.2 4 torin is talking aboit.. there are two slots. M2 1 and m2 2....

Last edited:
what OS are you trying to install. if win7 you will have to load an nvme driver during the OS install or it wont be seen

I've done that several times. The additional location they point to is only for adjusting the speed of the PCI-E slots (auto / Gen1 / Gen 2 / Gen3)
As for the setting up under RAID, I turned AHCI to RAID, but there was no drive visible in the BIOS then either.

why legacy? Should work just fine on UEFI...

1-25. 1-35 doesn't seem to exist.

That said, I have no idea what m.2 4 torin is talking aboit.. there are two slots. M2 1 and m2 2....

I was doing that to make sure that secure boot was off, as the instructions for modifying the windows 7 install media to add the NVM drivers said to make sure to disable secure boot. The setting for that is UEFI mode or Legacy OS. That is set for Legacy OS, and the UEFI mode (outside secure boot settings) is set for UEFI/Legacy.

Sorry for the typo, the drive is in the M.2 X4_2 port. The one closest to the motherboard mounted power switch edge of the board.

Edit: Also, ED, the online manual is a .pdf version of the manual that came with the board. They both have a page 1-35. The model of the board is Z170-WS.

what OS are you trying to install. if win7 you will have to load an nvme driver during the OS install or it wont be seen

I'm trying to do this with Win 7, and the I did follow the instructions for adding the NVMe drivers to the install media that are posted in the first couple of replies in this thread.

But the drive doesn't show up at the BIOS level. So, I'm assuming incompatibility at this point. I'm also somewhat nervous that the 960 Evo won't show up either. My 850 Evo shows up in BIOS if I plug that one in.

Edit: Microcenter is opening in 1/2 an hour, so I'm heading out now.

Will report back when I'm home and working on it again.

Last edited:
Well, I've got the 960 Evo, and the BIOS sees it. However the modified Win 7 image doesn't see the drive. I'm going to see if I can install the drivers for the 960 during drive discovery.

you can load the drivers from samsung for that drive (IE the 2.0 or 2.1 drivers) from a usb that can be plugged in during the install

- - - Updated - - -

I should note that windows 7 will have to be installed in uefi and legacy mode to install. otherwise it will fail

Back