• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my i7 6700k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aquatic Turkey

Hey guys, I've been messing around with my cpu for a little while and it seems like I need 1.265v for a 4.4GHz overclock and if I want 4.5, the voltage needs to be much higher (temps are getting too high so I just gave up).

Did I get unlucky or is it standard?

4.4-4.5 is the limit for the average skylake i5/i7 on ambient cooling (air/water) with safe voltages. You did not win the silicon lottery. What CPU cooler are you using?

Ah ok, well I was asking because I saw a lot of threads where people were getting oc in the 4.6GHz range with about the same voltage as me...

I don't have a very good cooler its the Hyper T2, but the cooling is enough for the oc i have right now...

Thanks for your answer man I appreciate it :)

For me it takes a bios setting of 1.295v and an llc setting of level 7. With those settings I idle at 1.296v and it jumps to 1.312-1.328v under load. That is for 4.5 GHz. Gaming seems just sit at 1.312v but if I stress test the level 7 llc will suck 1.328v. And after resting on these settings close to a month ago all has been well. So to answer your question, no. You didn't get an unlucky chip by any means you just didn't a lucky one either. I didn't either. Mine is Average. I am stable all day long at 4.6 GHz with vcore under 1.4v but 4.7 GHz takes me about 1.425v and only raises my Cinebench score by 30 points and about 40-50 marks on Intel Xtreme Utility so for the Very minimal performance loss I consider it a fair trade for having my Cpu sit just under 1.3v.

Yeah I mean I could prob get 4.5GHz if I keep looking for the right voltage but I know it's gonna have to be over 1.3v and I don't feel like it's worth it for the temp/performance I'll be getting from a 0.1GHz increase

Ya it seems the Average is just over 1.3v Once you get to where it takes 1.35v or so for 4.5 GHz you're unlucky. But ya cooling is of the utmost importance and it's the same reason I don't run mine higher too.

Ah ok, well I was asking because I saw a lot of threads where people were getting oc in the 4.6GHz range with about the same voltage as me...

I don't have a very good cooler its the Hyper T2, but the cooling is enough for the oc i have right now...

Thanks for your answer man I appreciate it :)

You won't know if you can get another .1 mhz out of that CPU until you get better cooling. Guys getting 4.6 and above typically have high end air or at least a high end AIO water cooler and are using 3.5-1.425 vcore. There are a few exceptions out there with lower than that voltage but they are rare. Then too, you don't always know if their OC claims are verified to be stable with some honest stress testing.

Back