• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seems to be a little quieter than I remember

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nahmus

Well life has taken me in some directions that I would never have expected but I think I have found my way back. I think it's time to start building again. Is the supersticky still the best place to get up to date on folding clients and hardware?

Thanks all

I do not think I am quite the right person for this matter but I am inclined to say yes. There are still a lot of active 24/7 folders here, and I believe nothing more than that they would love to have you back!!!!

Look here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/21-Folding-Team or reach out to hokiealumnus. Lots of folders here. Welcome back, BTW!

Isn't that where he posted this?

Welcome back nahmus!

Yes, we're happy to provide advice and suggestions.

First off, if you are going to be using Nividia cards, there are some bad drivers for folding around 373 to 376. There is a hotfix in driver 376.48, but it isn't on the main Nvidia driver page. You can find it here. Nvidia has the lead in PPD. Video cards are king at the moment. You can still fold on CPU, but the points are a lot less. Most heavy folders I know don't actually use the CPU on a GPU folding rig. Also, the Bigadv WUs are gone as a program, but there are occasional big multi-core CPU WUs released, but not as a steady program. Plus, you can match the performance with a GTX 970 card.

I hope that helps!

Edit: Also, you are a couple of years overdue for a Decennial badge! Hop over here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-Years-in-the-OCF-Family-10-Year-Member-Badge and request one.

Thanks for the info. So It looks like GPU folding is king now. It was just starting when i was folding and BigADV was the way to go. I can still borg a few PC's but it looks like I will look into a multi GPU build. Gonna work on just putting up some points then go the GPU route.

thanks!

Thanks for the info. So It looks like GPU folding is king now. It was just starting when i was folding and BigADV was the way to go. I can still borg a few PC's but it looks like I will look into a multi GPU build. Gonna work on just putting up some points then go the GPU route.

thanks!

Also, if you are going to build a multi-gpu rig from scratch, be aware that you'll be limited to 2 for a lot of the Z170 chipset boards, unless you get one with an extra PLX chipset. Basically if it doesn't say Quad-SLI is possible, you shouldn't plan on more than 2 without testing it first.

All good information posted above. The actual king of kings is the NVidia 1080 and the Titan XP. They belt out some massive points but they cost too. The NVidia 10 series does run fairly cool and does not use too much electricity thus saving on long term costs.

You picked a great time to come back. We are one of the smallest teams with a huge output. #6 in total production in the world and #28 in team size. With an average of around 57k/user we put up some large numbers. We also have about a half dozen individual folders in the top 100 overall.

Welcome back nahmus!

(If you have any spare duct tape, send it to don256us...he has had some quality control issues lately... :chair:)

Welcome Back Nahmus. The GTX 1070 is a sweet middle the road card. Not sure if it is the ppd/$ winner but my 1070 FE card has brought me up from page 3 or 4 to the 55 slot since I purchased it in July.

Welcome Back Nahmus. The GTX 1070 is a sweet middle the road card. Not sure if it is the ppd/$ winner but my 1070 FE card has brought me up from page 3 or 4 to the 55 slot since I purchased it in July.
Indeed. We've been seeing you name a lot in the weekly newsletter. You've put up some good points.

Back