• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 7970 mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I love my table, it brings out my inner child. That and it is the correct height to allow me to sit on the floor.

Just gave it a try tonight. The heatsink was a little undersized so I really did not do much more than boot into windows to make sure it still worked.

8386.jpeg

I think your iron does not get hot enough and/or you have the wrong kind of solder. Check THIS(pdf) out. A more detailed analysis of the different kinds of solder can be found HERE (very long report!).

I am using this solder.

As for the soldering iron I can try turning the heat up. I cannot remember off hand what temperature I have the iron set at.

If you know of a better solder I am willing to try something else as I am by no means an expert on this and am open to advice.

I am using this solder.

As for the soldering iron I can try turning the heat up. I cannot remember off hand what temperature I have the iron set at.

If you know of a better solder I am willing to try something else as I am by no means an expert on this and am open to advice.
Maybe ask one of your students? ;)

Unfortunately I cannot as my students are no longer with us:D

My new wire came in so work can now continue.
0210171748.jpg

I have used Kester products in the past (don't remember the exact model #) and have had better luck with Rosin core (3%) than the regular ebay/amazon stuff. The key is flow. If your solder flows better, it will provide a better joint. I have perused THIS very useful tutorial in the past. My soldering iron of choice is THIS Goot PX201 (with additional chisel tips).

So figured I would update this a little. I got this board mounted up with a waterblock and did some test runs. You can see the results of the runs here. I have gained about 100mhz on the core as compared to prior runs. Really have not pushed the memory much yet. Found that the PLL mod is not working correctly so will need to dig into that as well. All in all not a bad start though so far. I have not yet completed the OCP mod yet and this may be a contributing factor as I seem to be hitting a point were the card just stops. Neeed to get some components on order for the OCP mod and then will do that as well.

On another note Mlllrkllr seems to have picked up a 7970 and is modding it as well. His most recent pics show a cap mod board that he put together for it as pictured below.

16865158_211775819297920_6100424312922789848_n.jpg

What is everyone's thoughts on this. Has me wanting to scavenge the spare caps off of my bad board to parallel in.

Last edited:
Nice job Lochekey and I wish I had the knowledge and time to be able to mod a Gpu like Mlllrkllr

Nice job Lochekey and I wish I had the knowledge and time to be able to mod a Gpu like Mlllrkllr

I agree I wish I had his finesse. AS for knowledge he is more than willing to help you out if you ask form my experience. Sorry cannot help you with the Time though:D

Back