• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lousy i7-7700k sample for thermals, or am I missing something?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alright!! I have gotten the voltage down to 1.350 at 5.0ghz. I can't get it to boot at 5.1 with voltage all the way up to 1.385. So I think it's safe to say that 5.0 is about my chips limit. With the reduction in voltage, I am now seeing a peak of 75*c which running the HWBOT RealBench test. Average of 49*c.

Yep, 5.0 seems to be the "sweet spot." That's about what most are getting on that chip.

Excellent! Did you use Liquid ultra on both sides of the lid or just on the underneath?

Just under the lid, and I used the same (Thermalright non-conductive) paste between the IHS and my heatsink as before. Same ambient temp and testing as before also, so it should be a pretty direct comparison.

I've been seeing some people with okay stock temps on the 7700k and some with pretty high peak temps. To me it seems the likely culprit is a lack of pressure on the IHS, causing a larger gap between the die and IHS on some CPU's than others depending on the thickness and/or expansion of the edge sealant.

While it was actually a fun project, I do still hope the 7700k is a bit ahead of Rizen in gaming so I don't regret spending over $400 for the CPU plus delidding materials. I think the competition will force Intel to be a less lax about such things, which is good.

While it was actually a fun project, I do still hope the 7700k is a bit ahead of Rizen in gaming so I don't regret spending over $400 for the CPU plus delidding materials. I think the competition will force Intel to be a less lax about such things, which is good.
You shouldn't regret your purchase. Whether it's AMD or Intel there is always something better on the horizon. If one waits for the best of the best they'll be waiting forever.

Just did the delid on mine today, and used liquid TIM. Dropped 8c at idle, and 25c under full load (both on water) I now peak at 57c during bench test with a clock of 5.00 at 1.310 volts.

Microcenter is now selling the i7-7700K for $300 with $30 off the purchase of a motherboard.

Back