• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking an AMD FX 8320 on an ASUS M5A99X Evo R2.0 Board.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JesKO

Hello !

I would like to overclock my CPU from 3.5 GHz to around 4.0 or 4.2 GHz.
I know i can destroy my cpu and board if i do something wrong and im not very into computers. But for a few CPU based games and video editing it would really help me out.
My setup looks like this:

CPU - AMD Fx 8320
MAINBOARD - ASUS M5A99X Evo R2.0
GPU - Asus Radeon R9 280
COOLER - Thermalright Macho Rev. B
Case - IDK exactly but its big and has alot big and quiet coolers (if necessary i find out)

I hope you can help me :)

Welcome to the forum. You shouldn't have any issue Ocing the 8320 to 4.2 ghz on that board. If you're careful in most cases you're not going to destroy anything. I own that board and it is a pretty good mid range board, I would suggest picking up a 80 mm fan and placing it on the VRM heatsink ie. the heatsink to the left of the Cpu socket. That heatsink will get pretty warm when Ocing the 8320. Other then that follow this guide, it's on a different motherboard but the idea is the same.

Alright im going to try this.

Is there any program in which i can see the temperature of my cpu? And the GHz number to see if it worked?

Download, Hwmonitor "non Pro" and Cpu-Z, you can use programs such as real bench, Occt, Prime 95 or Aida 64 to stress test. For myself 2 hours prime blend/occt or 4 hours real bench/Aida 64 is enough to confirm stability.

Alright yea i think this whole thing is to complicated for me. Im just gonna leave it how it is now.

Hello !

I would like to overclock my CPU from 3.5 GHz to around 4.0 or 4.2 GHz.
I know i can destroy my cpu and board if i do something wrong and im not very into computers. But for a few CPU based games and video editing it would really help me out.
My setup looks like this:

CPU - AMD Fx 8320
MAINBOARD - ASUS M5A99X Evo R2.0
GPU - Asus Radeon R9 280
COOLER - Thermalright Macho Rev. B
Case - IDK exactly but its big and has alot big and quiet coolers (if necessary i find out)

I hope you can help me :)

You can turbo boost the thing to 4Ghz with no effort

How exactly?
There are literally HUNDREDS of guides out there how to do this.

First of all you're gonna have to get familiar with the UEFI bios which for all intensive purposes is VERY EASY to navigate.
EZ-screen.jpg

I literally have this same exact board and chip you do so just do some reading and make sure you've got decent cooling in place.

Great board. Love the ASUS BIOS and Advanced Settings. Have my FX-8300 running at 4.0 GHz, all cores, 24/7/365 doing distributed computing crunching with nothing but a multiplier bump and a Moderate setting for LLC. CPU runs at 1.33-1.34 VID all the time and CPU core temp is 30-35 C ° and socket temp is 30 C°. Have it cooled by Corsair H100iV2 with Noctua NFF-12 fans and a 40mm fan on the back side of the socket. Fan control by SIV using the Corsair Link driver hooks running both pump and fans on Balanced settings. I'm sure I could push the chip higher if I wanted to but just did the simplest work in the BIOS to get the core speed up. Most of the hard lifting for my crunching is done by the GPU's anyway. The CPU only had to keep feeding the GPU's work along with crunching four tasks on its own. Not bad for a $105 part with a $125 motherboard.

Back