• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 1700 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I like the 3.7ghz at 1.1xx volts Blue_Falcon runs. It's a really decent gain for the little put into it.

Jah.... 4.8 Million transistors cruising 14nm @ 3700mhz is pretty darn good. I remember reading and watching first glimpses of "ZEN" actually being tested at UNDER 3ghz.

I like the 3.7ghz at 1.1xx volts Blue_Falcon runs. It's a really decent gain for the little put into it.

Jah.... 4.8 Million transistors cruising 14nm @ 3700mhz is pretty darn good. I remember reading and watching first glimpses of "ZEN" actually being tested at UNDER 3ghz.
Funny thing about that shrimp, all I did was set 'stock voltage' (from default auto)in bios, set LLC to 1, and crank the multiplier for 100mhz at a time. I haven't even seen if it will do an undervolt on the CPU at this speed [emoji14]

Funny thing about that shrimp, all I did was set 'stock voltage' (from default auto)in bios, set LLC to 1, and crank the multiplier for 100mhz at a time. I haven't even seen if it will do an undervolt on the CPU at this speed [emoji14]
Not to steal the thread, but where are you finding llc on the prime? I don't see it anywhere in my bios. I'm running 0504.

Yea!? After you test that, see what the under-volt is at 3ghz stock! How efficient can it really be? Can we power this with a 9v battery for an hour or what? (jk about the 9v battery)

Jah.... 4.8 Billion transistors cruising 14nm @ 3700mhz is pretty darn good. I remember reading and watching first glimpses of "ZEN" actually being tested at UNDER 3ghz.

You were off just a bit there shrimpy

- - - Updated - - -

Not to steal the thread, but where are you finding llc on the prime? I don't see it anywhere in my bios. I'm running 0504.

It'll be in the Digi + section

So I am pretty new to OverClocking and wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything

So I am currently running the 1700 with the X370 Taichi running the p1.5 BIOS

I was able to get an overclock of 3.9ghz at 1.29v. Which based on what I'm reading seems like a really good voltage. I did cinebench test 4 times and a Prime95 small FFT 3 hour test. Should I run any other tests to make sure I am stable?

However, when I tried to push to 4ghz it isn't stable up to 1.35v (which I didnt go above since AMD doesn't recommend it). I'm perfectly happy at 3.9ghz, but just making sure I'm not missing something.

The only thing I'm OK with is the Ram. Currently using the Gskill TridentZ 16gb x2 ram and cannot get it stable above 2400, is that normal? I hear people are struggling with the larger cards.

I would suggest since you already have P95 set a custom test with at least half of your ram.
As for the ram if they're 16 GB sticks then yes running dual rank ram has some issues at present and most are running 2400 maybe some with 2666. There are a few things you can try to get the speed up. SOC voltage up to max 1.2v raise the DRAM voltage to 1.35/1.4v and if you have the option MEM VTT or VTTDDR it should be half the DRAM voltage on auto but setting it higher can help. Just remember it's a very low voltage to start ~ 0.7v you shouldn't need to go above 0.9v

Should I run any other tests to make sure I am stable?

Stability testing is one of those things which can be dependent on usage scenario. Some are happy with I passed x and will say that's stable for me, for others it can differ.

I like doing folding@home on my rigs, this requires usually a high level of stability IMO. So I do lengthy testing. I also prefer this lengthy testing even for the aspect of just gaming, as then I know if a game crashed on me it maybe another factor than OC stability, like a bug in the game.

Now just like each CPU has differing OC headroom, one stability test may destabilise the OC quicker than another on one CPU but not on another. So to speed up stability testing process I go for the program which destabilises my OC quicker, then other stability tests will fall in place if you get what I mean.

For example I found I could run RealBench stress mode for 2hrs on my Ryzen CPU and when I loaded x264 on system at same OC settings it failed within minutes. Where as another user with same CPU/mobo found his CPU was opposite to mine, his could run x264 with ease but RealBench caused it an issue.

I have been using Y-Cruncher, then a custom x264 encoding stability test plus f@h. My testing has been quite lengthy, I have also used RealBench and IBT AVX. I haven't had any issues in games then either so far ;) .

Black screen with Asus X370-Pro and AMD [email protected]

Hello all.
I just completed my Ryzen build and was attempting to overclock my 1700. I downloaded CPUz, HWMonitor, and AMD's RyzenMaster. Any overclock above 3.8ghz on all 8 cores causes the screen to go black in the middle of running CPUz benchmark. According to AMD software as well as HWMonitor, the temps never reach 60°C.
In BIOS, I have it set to shut down at 85°C.
I have no idea why the black screen. Am I maybe running out of power, defective MOBO not relaying temperature properly? Any help on this would be awesome.
Specs:
Ryzen 1700
Biostar x370gt5
CF Rx 480 powercolor red dragon
Raidmax 80+bronze 635w PSU
Gammaxx 400 with second fan for push/pull
16GB ddr4 ram
256gb m.2 Intel ssd

Hi, how are you. Sorry, did you solve the black screen problem? I have an Asus X370-Pro motherboard and it happens to me exactly the same. I leave the computer performing a render and the screen goes black (I do not know if it goes off) after a while of working I have an amd 1700 to 3.9 ghz with a voltage of 1.36 with a corsair cooling H110i, PSU EVGA of 850 watts 80 plus bronze and a GTX 1080 Ti. I await your comment. Thanks (done with the google translator).

It usually happens when CPU isn't stable. Lower frequency or set higher CPU voltage.

It usually happens when CPU isn't stable. Lower frequency or set higher CPU voltage.
This. I've noticed when the CPU crashes hard, it causes this. Check your stability in something like prime95 or the like. If that returns ok, then give it a voltage nudge one notch and see if the issue disappears.

You need an AIO cooler if your gonna buy a chip like this I know the wraith cooler is ok and Looks pretty nice but its not enough for a chip that costs over $300 bucks.. Thats A. And B. You are going to have have take the voltage to 1.45 to see 4.0 99% of the Time I think AMD did it on purpose to these chips because they are cheaper than the rest of the R7's.. Because I'm totally stable at 1.375 Volts. So you would think I would be able to Hit 4.0 at under 1.40 but I can't.. It's weird..

You need an AIO cooler if your gonna buy a chip like this I know the wraith cooler is ok and Looks pretty nice but its not enough for a chip that costs over $300 bucks.. Thats A. And B. You are going to have have take the voltage to 1.45 to see 4.0 99% of the Time I think AMD did it on purpose to these chips because they are cheaper than the rest of the R7's.. Because I'm totally stable at 1.375 Volts. So you would think I would be able to Hit 4.0 at under 1.40 but I can't.. It's weird..

It's a total loss of efficiency running that high of a voltage to gain 100mhz.

The processors are more design limited more so than anything else. 14nm FinFet already topped out from the manufacturer. At 3.7ghz and 1.1v - 1.225v is really good for this type of processor. For a daily user and gamer, that's where you aim.

If your going for HWBot points, hammer on it. But dang the voltage at 4.4ghz!

It's a total loss of efficiency running that high of a voltage to gain 100mhz.

The processors are more design limited more so than anything else. 14nm FinFet already topped out from the manufacturer. At 3.7ghz and 1.1v - 1.225v is really good for this type of processor. For a daily user and gamer, that's where you aim.

If your going for HWBot points, hammer on it. But dang the voltage at 4.4ghz!
Yup. This. Had to dump a bunch more voltage (which turns into heat as well) just to get to 3.8ghz myself. 3.7ghz is plenty thus far. No major issues. Voltage is quite low too. Ended up bumping it a notch over factory voltage at stock and got 3.7ghz. I even hit that on the Wraith Spire my 1700 came with. That's a win in my book.

It's such a change from FX. All my Water Cooling gear for the main rig sits boxed up in a no longer needed state of being.

AMD Opteron/Phenom Quad heatpipe cooler works wonders. The little wraith sits new in the box yet... Haven't seen over 32c yet :D

It's such a change from FX. All my Water Cooling gear for the main rig sits boxed up in a no longer needed state of being.

AMD Opteron/Phenom Quad heatpipe cooler works wonders. The little wraith sits new in the box yet... Haven't seen over 32c yet :D
Think that's the same one as the old high end Brisbane heatsink right? I used that as a backup for a while. One of these days I'm gonna get a water block, then it's time for some super silent and cool computing!

While I know a lot of people who don't have a Ryzen system have very strong opinions. But honestly id like a source where they state over 1.35 was the max voltage for everyday use. I'd say you want to stay under the 1.375v range if your using the wraith cooler. Many of Linus, and other YouTubers seem to be all recommending and following.

My two profiles for the 1700 and have been stable since day one are 3.85ghz @ 1.352v and I have a 3.9ghz profile at 1.362v. I think anyone using the wraith cooler should aim for a 3.8ghz you should be able to get it between 1.33-1.35 stable.

1.375 was a max recommended voltage for people using wraith cooler according to Linus Ryzen oc video. Tbh I prefer staying under the 1.375v however anything under 1.4 should be safe. They stated that once you pass 1.45v is when it may degrade the life of the chip. Tbh my 4.075ghz profile hits a max voltage of 1.41v I just will mess around with that more once I install a liquid AIO cooler, as 3.85/3.9ghz under the 1.375v I follow is more than enough for me gaming and streaming, in which my temps never exceed 55c. Occt linpack/prime95 hovers around 65-68c max after hours of use on my 3.9oc 1.362v. my 3.85ghz@ 1.31 - 1.352v doesn't exceed 63c so the wraith spire cooler Is more than enough for a 3.8ghz OC imo I feel as if I'm Babying the chip staying under the 1.375v threshold that seems to be common value people over on amd reddit/linus and a few others recommend. Tbh I feel like staying under 1.4 is ideal, but for people with better cooling 1.41v @ 4.050ghz should be safe, still to soon to say if 1.45 will degrade the chip , I know a few people running 1.41v 4ghz and it's been stable for them.

This was taken right from the review kit that AMD sent me along with the CPUs

Information from AMD Regarding Overclocking

As a general guideline: a CPU voltage of up to 1.35 V is acceptable for driving everyday overclocks of the AMD Ryzen processor. Core voltages up to 1.45 V are also sustainable, but our models suggest that processor longevity may be affected. Regardless of your voltage, make sure you’re using capable cooling to keep temperatures as low as possible.

Just to add to that this also came from AMD and has been true since people started overclocking. You do so at your own risk

WARNING: AMD processors, including chipsets, CPUs, APUs and GPUs (collectively and individually “AMD processor”), are intended to be operated only within their associated specifications and factory settings. Operating your AMD processor outside of official AMD specifications or outside of factory settings, including but not limited to the conducting of overclocking (including use of this overclocking software, even if such software has been directly or indirectly provided by AMD or an entity otherwise affiliated in any way with AMD), may damage your processor, affect the operation of your processor or the security features therein and/or lead to other problems, including but not limited to damage to your system components (including your motherboard and components thereon (e.g., memory)), system instabilities (e.g., data loss and corrupted images), reduction in system performance, shortened processor, system component and/or system life, and in extreme cases, total system failure. It is recommended that you save any important data before using the tool. AMD does not provide support or service for issues or damages related to use of an AMD processor outside of official AMD specifications or outside of factory settings. You may also not receive support or service from your board or system manufacturer. Please make sure you have saved all important data before using this overclocking software. DAMAGES CAUSED BY USE OF YOUR AMD PROCESSOR OUTSIDE OF OFFICIAL AMD SPECIFICATIONS OR OUTSIDE OF FACTORY SETTINGS ARE NOT COVERED UNDER ANY AMD PRODUCT WARRANTY AND MAY NOT BE COVERED BY YOUR BOARD OR SYSTEM MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY.

The above is a guideline from AMD and is in general.
Your parts are to do so what you like with. I do and have run upwards of 2.0V into two seperate Ryzen CPUs (LN2). If they break I'm not going to expect an RMA from AMD

If you leave 1700X/1800X at auto then it goes up to 1.35V+, depends on environment ( cooling etc ). This is stock voltage. My 1700X has 1.35V VID so I would be really surprised if AMD said that 1.35V isn't safe ;)
On my Biostar mobo there are no LLC options. After overclocking to 3.85GHz I'm lowering VID to 1.30V and leave power saving enabled. It let my CPU run between 0.9-1.285V stable.
1700 has lower VID but after some OC it requires about the same voltage to be stable.

Back