• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to turn off Favorites Menu automatic alphabetizing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
EDIT: It is worse than I thought. Even if I run the .bat file which opens IE, then runs the .reg file to reset the order... As soon as I merely access other Favorites links from the open IE, the order is reset again...
So it is not a one time thing, Internet Explorer alphabetizes the order every time it is being used, not merely on startup (!!)

:(

=========

Clarification: This is about the order in the Windows Start Menu Favorites folder, not Internet Explorer Favorites.

I have added entries to my Favorites folder since Windows 95 and am using it exclusively across multiple OS and multiple browsers (with Favorites add-ons) so that *everything* uses a single physical Favorites folder for Bookmarks, which is in a custom location on the computer. So I don't have to ever worry about syncing Bookmarks across OS and across browsers. Every single OS and every single browser uses the same Favorites folder on the multi-boot system.

I think for the past seven years, every time I opened Internet Explorer, it automatically alphabetized the order in which the Favorites entries were displayed.
It appears that this feature cannot be turned off, I just found out today.

Here's what I have come up with for a solution for people who have a .reg file of the saved order in which the Favorites Menu appears, I've had mine from before Windows XP days.
So to address the problem of every time I open Internet Explorer, and it automatically alphabetizes the order in which the Favorites entries are displayed [and this affects my Firefox Favorites menu and my Windows Start Menu favorites too]:

If the reg file location is C:\Favorites Menu Order.reg

then

Make a text file containing the following code and save it as a .bat file which you should use to open Internet Explorer, if you need to for testing and other reasons:

Start "" "%PROGRAMFILES%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
SLEEP 1
regedit.exe /s "C:\Favorites Menu Order.reg"

Last edited:
Back