• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new cable net today.. what the heck is wrong??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

just got home and the cable man finally came.. what sort of speeds should i be getting, imagined it'd be way faster... 1.5mb per sec.. isnt that 150kbps? i'm no where close that.. also i got cable because i am aware of only 3 people in this town (small, 200 people) who have broadband.. all of which have dsl.. i'm the first one to have cable.. so peak usage isnt it... i'm checking out speedguide.net right now.. any suggesttions? my modem is an rca.. and this is on my main rig.. with a netgear 311 nic.. its going straight from my modem to my puter, dont have my router hooked up yet.. (very soon)

May want to try some of the patches available at SpeedGuide.net that will change some registry entries to better your packet usage. You'll need to reboot after installing them.

Also can depend on other factors such as the servers you're downloading from, whether or not your cable is capped and where at, etc.

DSLReports.com also has a packet analyzer that may help in detecting where the problem lies...as well as a few other tools worth trying out.

Mr Chambers

another place to check is http://www.dslreports.com/tools

Run their check and see what you get. They also have a tweak section, click on 'Tweak Test' (Jump to topic = Rwin) Read that section and d/l what is appropriate for your OS. I did this and doubled my speed and it is so close to the advertised rate for my provider. 1500kb or 1.5mb I'm at 1446kb or 1.4mb. I did this for all my 5 pc's on the LAN. There is a catch when running the speed check, they only allow 4 tests per/day per/ip addy. So do a before/after test for each pc.

Good luck

Back