• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about running ethernet through new house?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok i was going to have the cables plug into the walls. Just didn't think about how I was going to plug the cables into the switch. Thank you tizakit for pointing out all mine were female ends. I wouldn't have noticed in the excitement of me ordering them. Guess the easiest way now is to install a patch panel into the wall. Will any patch panel work or will I have to order a 24 port keystone patch panel? Another question, I want to install this in my utility closet in my kitchen. My washer and dryer are in the same closet though. Will this cause interference and degrade my signal

depends on how you run the network cable.

If you run against and parallel with AC? Probably. If you run near it but keep at least 1' away and arent running parallel? probably not an issue.

There are Keystones out that are nothing more than couplers. You can also punch down both ends and not even need to have a crimper as long as you buy patch cables.

Ok since I already have the keystone jacks should I order this patch panel and would they just "click in"? Or should I order this patch panel and would it be a punch down? And for the last question would both of these be able to be mounted in the wall?

The first would allow you flexibility of just snapping in whatever keystones you wanted, the second would strictly be a network only patch panel. Both of these could mount however you want as they both have screw holes. J :cool:

Yea I would recommend solid wire as SpeeDj said also because when I did my house I had problems with the stranded getting stretched being pulled through stuff..

As an fyi, the ONLY issue I have found with keystone jacks is a relatively simple one.

if the keystone jack latch tab gets damaged at any time, the jack will refuse to stay in place. Not really a big deal and more of an annoyance more then anything but still just keep that in mind.

Yeah I just got all the stuff in. Soon as I seen the keystone jacks I figured that could be a huge problem if they were ever damaged. Lucky I ordered a few more than I needed. If all else fails I guess duct tape could keep it in place. Again I just want to thank everyone for all of their help. I couldn't of done it without the people on this forum. Soon I will have another set of questions for you as I get ready to build my home media server. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Yeah I just got all the stuff in. Soon as I seen the keystone jacks I figured that could be a huge problem if they were ever damaged. Lucky I ordered a few more than I needed. If all else fails I guess duct tape could keep it in place. Again I just want to thank everyone for all of their help. I couldn't of done it without the people on this forum. Soon I will have another set of questions for you as I get ready to build my home media server. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Superglue! :thup: haha, I know exactly what he means too because I used keystone rg6 connectors in my house. (didn't take much to break the tabs that hold them in off a few)

Mayybe if you look around a little and wanna spend a couple more bux you can find the industrial steel outlet covers. :thup:

Check this stuff out!
http://cableorganizer.com/desk-outlet/customizable.htm
http://cableorganizer.com/wall-plates/keystone-wallplates.html

Last edited:
Figured I would update all of you. I have finally installed everything and it is working great. Love the speeds and the ability to stream 3d 1080p over my network from my pc. Although I didn't use a versa bit. I used a greenlee nail eater. It worked wonders. I put my jack holes about 10 inches or so off the floor and drilled at an angle. An electrician I ran into at lowes recommended it. Just had to be careful so I didn't eat a hole through the dry wall. Anyways just wanted to say thanks again and let everyone know how it went. See yall soon.

Back