• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP shutdown slow....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KamiMazi

Registered
Well recently I had to format XP a bunch do to problems. So I noticed that as I added certain programs, my Windows shutdown got slower. Right now it hangs for like 20 secs sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't hang at all...

I noticed after installing MOH:AA evertime that it really slowed down the shutdown. I noticed even more slowdown after installing other programs.

Does anyone know how fix this problem? I remember reading some article somwhere that said this can be fixed by deleting many things in the autoexec.... can't find that article now...

Thanks.

Why do you even shut down? I run mine for weeks at a time, the only time I shut down is to do repairs/upgrades.

That's exactly it weasel. That is why it sometimes hangs longer than other times.

I appreciate the link, but I think it would be safest to let the programs have enough time to shutdown properly.

that's the problem, but those programs won't shut down because their hung or not responding that's why it's "wait time to kill apps". closing them any sooner won't make any difference. except to shut down sooner.:D

I see man. You and a friend convinced me to not be such a pansy and play with the registry. I set it to 10 secs.

Thnkas a bunch man.

ok-set it at what you're comfortable with, i set mine at "150" in the registry. i'm happy with that.

nikhsub1, i never leave mine on if i'm not here everyday, this house is over 50 yrs old and i don't trust the wiring. it doesnt even have any grounding throughout this house except for this one in my comp room(of course i had to run the ground wire though).

I'll try lowerign it later on. I hardly reboot so it's gonna take a while to test it out. Can you tell I am terrified of formatting? :p

Back