• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ie6 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CalsonicGTR

for some reason, ie6 keeps freezing for no reason. i have not installed anything new and i am confused. please help

Need a little more info:

Where is it freezing?

Do you get an error message? If so what is it?

Have you installing any windows updates latley?

sorry for not being specific. i was afraid that it would freeze before i put in the message. i figured out that ie6 will freeze when i open a new window or click on a link that opens in a new window. i dont get any error messages of any kind. i havent installed any new software in the last week. thats about it. hope this helps.

If it happens all the time, I cant help you

But if you havent installed the java patch, and you're going to java-enabled sites (such as Yahoo mail) they just freeze and dont really respond. I figured this out AFTER I had snapped my copy of Win XP in two, of course....

---X--- said:
If it happens all the time, I cant help you

But if you havent installed the java patch, and you're going to java-enabled sites (such as Yahoo mail) they just freeze and dont really respond. I figured this out AFTER I had snapped my copy of Win XP in two, of course....

Snap it in two ouch! That is tuff luck. A lesson can be learned from this however. That lessons is, 'Always Consult Overclockers.com Before Destroying Anything'.

try 1st to update/repair/reinstall IE6

it is really a hard thing to pinpoint, you could also try clearing your cache and cookies and setting all security and privacy settings to default and working back to selecting your settings to where you need, but at this point if you want to assume that it is IE6 then those are your options

it could be from a conflict with another program or plugin, have you changed anything that is seemengly not related just prior to your receiving your lockups?

Also, do you have the necessary services set to manual instead of automatic ....I just went through an install of winXP.....had that problem right away....once I set the services up, problem was gone.
I'll sift through them and see if I can remember which ones I set to manual....grr...should remember this off the top of my head. :eek:

Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN settings and make sure the "Automatic" button is set.

Also, in Tools/Internet Options/General/Temporary Internet Files/Settings check the "every time I visit page" or "never" (if you hit never you'll have to refresh manually often).

Furthermore, Windows Update for the latest patches for IE6.

Lastly, Tools/Internet Options/Security/Custom Level and check all of the Active X and Java settings. I put all of my machines at work and home on either "prompt" or "enable" depending on the machine, the end user, and specific setting.

If you can't get the problem solved after this, reinstall, or uninstall and go for IE5.5 which you can download here.

Good luck,
Wedo

Snap it in two ouch! That is tuff luck. A lesson can be learned from this however. That lessons is, 'Always Consult Overclockers.com Before Destroying Anything'.

I was still an ignorant Intel addicted, Mega/Gigahertz lovin, stupid Gateway/Dell/insert your own OEM here kinda guy back then, and it was playing havoc with my sound drivers and headset and a buncha other stuff, so I got frustrated lamo. But it was the first release, and XP Home anyways, so it doesnt really matter to me now lol

Back