• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

unlock my pentium II!!! hlp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sk8draw

Registered
hi guys....
fisrt ... my english suks!!!! hehe:( :rolleyes:
do you know how can i unlock my PII?
its 266mhz.... and the mutiplier is lock....
:cool: :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forums.

I believe all PII 266 were unlocked from the factory. Intel didn't start locking multipliers until the 300's came out. You should be able to adjust the multiplier either by jumpers on the motherboard, or by a setting in the BIOS. Post a little more information about your system, mainly your motherboard model, so we can help you figure out what you need to do to change your multiplier.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

You can try this method to unlock your P2. FSB overclocking is nice but this way you get the best of both. This unlocking method only applies to P2s up to 350 MHz. I'm not sure but I think some 266 chips were unlocked and some were locked. 233 and below were all unlocked.

takiwa said:
Welcome to the forums.

I believe all PII 266 were unlocked from the factory. Intel didn't start locking multipliers until the 300's came out. You should be able to adjust the multiplier either by jumpers on the motherboard, or by a setting in the BIOS. Post a little more information about your system, mainly your motherboard model, so we can help you figure out what you need to do to change your multiplier.
my mother board is EX98...zida...:eek:

Do you have any FSB or multiplier adjustments in the bios? If you don't you can still use the old B21 trick (cover pin B21) to overclock it to 100 MHz FSB. You can even cover pins to get the voltage you need.

here a img from bios FBS config!
lwf0.jpg
:burn:

have you tried flashing your BIOS with the latest revision? It may give you some more options. I doubt it will help much, but it is always a good idea to do so.
I'm not sure but I think some 266 chips were unlocked and some were locked. 233 and below were all unlocked.
I will re-state my answer above. It may have been misleading.
"Pentium MMX and processors produced up until August 1998 were multiplier limited. They could use any multiplier up to their default multiplier. For example, a Pentium II 300MHz had a default multiplier of 4.5. You could use any multiplier up to and including 4.5, but not higher.
All processors produced after August (week 30), 1998 are multiplier locked, ie. the multiplier can't be changed at all, regardless of motherboard settings." quoted from here

I believe Takiwa is correct about August 1998 being the magic date. After that all Intel multipliers were locked. A lot of P-II 233, some of the 266, and a few of the 300 CPUs produced before August 1998 were unlocked. I had one P-II 233 that was unlocked and one that was locked. Currently, my office P-II 233 is unlocked and I was able to raise the multiplier from 3.5X to 4X, so that blows the theory of multiplier limited (although I think some P-1 processors were indeed limited, seems like I read something like that at Tom's Hardware once). Who knows for sure what Intel was doing back then. Regardless, if you have a locked Intel CPU, it cannot be unlocked.

some answers

some early p2 233 and 266 were completely unlocked

after november 1997 all p2's were limited to their multiplier or below, so basically if you had a p2 266 it could use any multiplier up to 4, but not above 4.5

after august 1998, all chips were locked completely up and down

one way to check, if your p2 266 runs at 2 volts, it is locked, if it runs at 2.8 volts, it is most LIKELY limited to 4 and below. Because they started making the 2 volt deschutes core 266's in august 1998

hummm
but the option to change the multiplier cant apear in the bios.(see the photo) only to change FSB....
its happen because the multplier is locked????:confused: :rolleyes:

some motherboards you cant change the multiplier manually

depends on the motherboard

also some you need to set via jumper, not in bios...

all depends on your motherboard

Once intel locks your CPU, there isn't anything you can do

I have a SuperMicro P6SBA motherboard with MANUAL CPU
Multiplier jumper (yes, quite old like the old socket7)

I was hoping that this would allow me to 'FORCE" chance my Intel's lock multiplier on my celeron 300a OC to 450.

BUT NO LUCK, the CPU simply ignore the Motherboard suggestion :(

Back