• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Realities of Hard Drive Fragmentation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Very good write-up! I was amazed by the numbers that Piriform Defraggler posted, which is also the defrag utility that I use. An average read speed of 68 Mb/s is superb. That is almost on par with the numbers you posted outside of virtual box. Interesting.

If anyone wants to pick up defraggler, you can get it here

[O/C] Realities of Hard Drive Fragmentation - summary & wares to test

Hi Frank

Well done - thanks for being so generous with your time & energy to share the results of your defrag testing :cool:

I appreciate that the methodology is still being tweaked & the need for that discussion - but thought this summary of the results of your tests might be helpful (please let me know if anything needs correcting here):

Defraggers initially tested (reported 18/2/2010):

* Windows XP Default Defragmenter
* MyDefrag 4.2.7
* Defraggler 1.16.165
* Puran Defrag Free 7.0
* Auslogics Defrag 3.1.2.90
* Vopt 9.21

Best overall results: MyDefrag 4.2.7 & Piriform Defraggler 1.16.165

Also tested:

* Defrag Express
* Diskeeper 2010
(if I understood the results correctly MyDefrag & Defraggler still rate best)

Would there be any significant difference in results between MyDefrag 4.2.7 & MyDefragGUI 2.1 ?

----

Now here are a list of defrag wares that would be worth testing (though some may be trial versions - not sure if all of these are freeware):

* Auslogics Disk Defrag (been getting a good rap on other forums)
* IObit Smart Defrag (quite popular so worth testing)
* Vista & Windows 7 Defrag (goes without saying)
* O&O Defrag (requested by other members in thread)
* Perfect Disk (requested by other members in thread)
* UltraDefrag (requested by other members in thread)

If anyone out there knows of any other worthy freeware defraggers then please advise!

Vista defrag already taken over 24hrs & still running

By the way I've used IObit Smart Defrag every few months, now doing full Vista defrag on my notebook (with no other apps running) & it's already taken over 24hrs & still running– does anybody know if that's possible without there being some kind of problem?
My spec's are: HP Pavilion DV9520TX with Intel C2D T7500 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista OS & all wares on 160GB HDD & all music & docs on 500GB HDD

new suggestions for defrag testing

Hi Frank

Well done - thanks for being so generous with your time & energy to share the results of your defrag testing

I appreciate that the methodology is still being tweaked & the need for that discussion - but thought this summary of the results of your tests might be helpful (please let me know if anything needs correcting here):

Defraggers initially tested (reported 18/2/2010):

* Windows XP
Default Defragmenter
* MyDefrag 4.2.7
* Defraggler 1.16.165
* Puran Defrag Free 7.0
* Auslogics Defrag 3.1.2.90
* Vopt 9.21

Best overall results: MyDefrag 4.2.7 & Piriform Defraggler 1.16.165

Also tested:

* Defrag Express
* Diskeeper 2010
(if I understood the results correctly MyDefrag & Defraggler still rate best)

Would there be any significant difference in results between MyDefrag 4.2.7 & MyDefragGUI 2.1 ?

----

Now here are a list of defrag wares that would be worth testing (though some may be trial versions
- not sure if all of these are freeware):

* Auslogics Disk Defrag (been getting a good rap on other forums)
* IObit Smart Defrag (quite popular so worth testing)
* Vista & Windows 7 Defrag (goes without saying)
* O&O Defrag (requested by other members in thread)
* Perfect Disk (requested by other members in thread)
* UltraDefrag (requested by other members in thread)

If anyone out there knows of any other worthy freeware defraggers then please advise!

Might try sending Frank a PM, seems he hasn't followed up on this thread lately and maybe a poke will help - I know some real life things have been keeping him busy, but he is still around regularly.

No, the tests actually would all need to be re-ran to test for issues readers reported with the testing. However, the author has been busy with other things and hasn't gotten back to designing or rerunning a new round of tests.

If anyone is interested in doing the legwork involved with that after submitting a methodology which we've reviewed and approved, we'd be happy to publish updated results.

thanks for this! just dl'd defraggler and it's running in the background :)

i'm so ashamed... my os drive was at 26% and the data drive was at 38%. BAD NERD!

Back