• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
make absolutely sure that you do not get WHS "Vail", They removed the drive expander portion from the new WHS.

Microcenter has a builder copy of WHS for 99.

Thid, I think that cw823 has challenged you and I, it appears that the gauntlet is in fact lying on the ground and the side of my face stings.

CW823, I accept your challenge and await you at dawn! Shall it be sheer drive space or numeric quantity of running drives?

I purchase a copy of WHS when it first came out, and run it on a server at my inlaws. Definitely not for me though, and I think alot of people will feel the same about Vail.

sheer drive space I think, I'm not sure I can compete with # of drives.

Thid, I think that cw823 has challenged you and I, it appears that the gauntlet is in fact lying on the ground and the side of my face stings.
Oh, if my RAID cards sell, it is on. I already know what drives I want. I can put 21 drives in it. ;D

Hmmm, I'm limited to 14 drives in my current case, but they WOULD all be 2tb Hitachis. :D

We found the weak point!

Deploy the 45 drive server!

Let's see, 4 more 2tb drives or one Norco 4220...hmmmm.

I recently upgraded my file server to a Tyan S5365 with dual LV Xeons, Core Duo based. Was running Dual Nocona's before, so a HUGE power savings there. That and I feel a wee bit better knowing I'm running on "server class" hardware.

That said, it's probably catching on fire right now.

That is a jump that I need to make as well. The only problem is that the hardware I want is going to cost me ~$1000. I'll probably wait until I find a used one.

That is a jump that I need to make as well. The only problem is that the hardware I want is going to cost me ~$1000. I'll probably wait until I find a used one.

I spoke incorrectly, I actually have an Intel SE7520BB2 with 2x dual-core LV xeons and heatsinks, plus 4Gb of DDR2 - cost me less than $100 for everything. Already had one Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8, and can add one of the SAS Supermicro cards as well, for 16 drives.

Similar combo with the Tyan S5365 would be about $125 for everything, with 2x x8 pci express slots instead of just 1.

For me it was a good cheap upgrade, and will probably save me that much in power in the next year .

I was looking at dual socket 1366. The board itself is only ~370 and I could put a bit of RAM into it. Processing power and RAM is mainly for virtual machines. Not like mine is slow or anything, but the upgrade would be very nice.

I was looking at dual socket 1366. The board itself is only ~370 and I could put a bit of RAM into it.

ram is cheap. There are a couple of those server class boards in our classifieds, you could always run a single CPU for the time being.

Whatever makes you not able to buy as many hard drives for the time being.... :p

Whatever makes you not able to buy as many hard drives for the time being.... :p
Ooooohhh, I see how it is now.

"Go buy SHINY NEW HARDWARE so that you will have less storage than me" :sn:

I could easily do new hardware and an absurd amount of hard drives, but I'm saving up for a new car. :<

"Only" buying a RAID card and SAS expander is my level of self constraint.

Oh boy it looks like the storage wars are kicking off at OCF!

What are you guys at currently in both total drive space and total usable drive space?

I'm about to move my 25Tb WHS system (5x 2Tb 10x 1.5Tb) to unraid and build a second unraid system with 7x 2Tb drives which I will keep at a friends house for offsite backup and to mitigate the cost a bit. However I will likely sell off some of the 1.5Tb drives as a ton of space is going to be saved from moving away from WHS.

Oh boy it looks like the storage wars are kicking off at OCF!

What are you guys at currently in both total drive space and total usable drive space?

I'm about to move my 25Tb WHS system (5x 2Tb 10x 1.5Tb) to unraid and build a second unraid system with 7x 2Tb drives which I will keep at a friends house for offsite backup and to mitigate the cost a bit. However I will likely sell off some of the 1.5Tb drives as a ton of space is going to be saved from moving away from WHS.

BB let me know when, I might have an 8Gb USB drive with unraid pro licensing that I'd sell.

Don't give it a second thought, I firmly believe that once anyone tries software raid through linux, they'll never use anything else.

I would disagree with you. While that may be true for cheaper solutions I find that I like my hardware raid controller much better then the software solutions. (I have an Areca 1880ix-12)

It depends on what you need. I love the hardware controller for how simple it is to setup and manage. Cost wise, it is no where near as good as software RAID.

And for the cost of that raid card, how many more 2tb drives could you get? If you haven't tried software raid recently, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. Email notifications, speed, cost, I think there are more pros than cons to software raid than there were 5 years ago, for sure.

And for the cost of that raid card, how many more 2tb drives could you get? If you haven't tried software raid recently, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. Email notifications, speed, cost, I think there are more pros than cons to software raid than there were 5 years ago, for sure.
RAID card - $270
SAS Expander - $270
2x 8087 to 8087 cable - $15
5x 8087 to SATA cables - $50
-----------
~$605

But, in all fairness, you have to buy SATA cards for software RAID, which is going to cut that different by a substantial amount. On this hardware alone, I can do 32 hard drives (8 x 4). With another SAS expander, I could do double that.

RAID card - $270
SAS Expander - $270
2x 8087 to 8087 cable - $15
5x 8087 to SATA cables - $50
-----------
~$605

But, in all fairness, you have to buy SATA cards for software RAID, which is going to cut that different by a substantial amount. On this hardware alone, I can do 32 hard drives (8 x 4). With another SAS expander, I could do double that.

I've found the supermicro PCI-X 8port cards for around $50, so there's truly not that much cost. Any xeon combo from the last 6 years is plenty fast, and most of them have lots of pci-x slots. We could get in a pissing contest about internal reads/writes, but for me, I only care about what I can move over gigabit - and even then, what is the point?

I just want to be able to store and access HD movies and TV shows instantly, just about any decent raid solution would give me plenty of overhead for that.

And his 12port Areca, probably cost 3x the cost of your card. ;)

Got the cables in that I needed to get the SAS expander functional.

breakouts_1.JPG

breakouts_2.JPG

breakouts_3.JPG

breakouts_4.JPG

It did not like being moved. Two disks had to be rebuilt. I'm pulling data off it so I can just start it over. Going to be substantially easier and faster.

failed_after_breakouts_added.png

And to add even more crap on the pile, I had a drive decide to give up the ghost the exact minute the cables were touched. I thought one of the cables was bad before I moved it to another tray and it did the exact same thing. Put it in my system and see this:

failed_hitachi_drive.png

I guess 2 years for a drive isn't too bad.

Back