• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 + 2600k + Frio

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SamSaveMax

Z68 board is kind of hard to get atm. I've snapped this Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 rev 1.0 as soon it was became available.

Spec:
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 rev 1.0
2TB Hitachi 6GBs Sata III
8GB (4x2) G.Skill Ripjaw X - F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM - 1600MHz 888-24 1.5v
Thermaltake Frio with dual fan - plus (1) 120mm and a 92mm fan
DVD-/+ drive
500W Antec PSU

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 rev 1.0
Very simple just a few accessories are included

Input/output ports

7 Phases

A little problem with ram's tall heatsink. Frio cooler is big with its dual fan installed.
I had to use a razor blade to shave off the fan's bottom frame...maybe by 1mm for clearance.

TV dinner tray has become my benching table.

Overall bench table

ATM, I did a quick test with just 1GHz overclocked.
CPUz Idle: 1.044v - 97w whole system Kill-A-Watt EZ =================>>> EDIT: If all power energy saving features were turned on = 67 watts idle
CPUz Load wPrime 1024M: 1.056v - 172w whole system Kill-A-Watt EZ
I was surpised to see only 172 watts was used at 4.48GHz loaded.

....to be continued.
====================================

EDIT:

Please see this post HERE for my latest and best detailed bios settings @ 4720MHz in Dynamic Vcore Mode.
Do note that your milage may vary by cpu. Yours may need a minor of +/- DVID adjustment.

Last edited:
Reserved.

I would like to notice that with F2, F3 and F4 has an issue with sleep mode.
Woken up and it loses its turbo clock multipliers which automatic resetted back to 34x.
It need a restart and everything would resume normally. So meanwhile, I can not use the sleep mode function.

========

========

EDIT:
I'm happy to announce that Gigabyte's latest F8 bios has solved this problem.
So, please update your latest bios and enjoy!

Last edited:
Moving up the ladder....temperatures and power consumption has increased substaintially pass 4.7GHz mark.

4684MHz - 1.330vcore
Idle: 1.200v - 93 watts ===== Load: 1.212 - 172 watts

4842MHz - 1.390vcore
Idle: 1.248v - 126 watts ===== Load: 1.260v - 250 watts

4943MHz - 1.390vcore
Idle: 1.248v - 127 watts ===== Load: 1.260v - 252 watts

Last edited:
5100MHz - 1.400vcore ............. it's getting close to 80C :(
Idle: 1.320v - 131 watts ===== Load: 1.416v - 263 watts

5200MHz - SuperPI 1M - 7.145s

5200MHz - SuperPI 32M - 6m 42.699s

5200MHz - wPrime 32M - 4.656s (XP)

That would be all for now as it needs to do a bunch of encoding.
More benching to come as allowed.

Remember, not all Z68 boards are the same.
If you want to take advantage of its hyper speed encoding (QuickSync), a Z68 board with video outputs (Dsub, DVI, Display Port and HDMI) is required.

Last edited:
5100MHz - 1.400vcore ............. it's getting close to 80C :(
Idle: 1.320v - 131 watts ===== Load: 1.416v - 263 watts

5200MHz - SuperPI 1M - 7.145s

5200MHz - SuperPI 32M - 6m 42.699s

5200MHz - wPrime 32M - 4.656s (XP)

That would be all for now as it needs to do a bunch of encoding.
More benching to come as allowed.

Remember, not all Z68 boards are the same.
If you want to take advantage of its hyper speed encoding (QuickSync), a Z68 board with video outputs (Dsub, DVI, Display Port and HDMI) is required.

I was just wondering, when i looked at your pictures of the heatsink it looks like its covering up one of the memory slots. Is this true and if so can you still get a memory module in that slot? Im basicly buying the same build you are an am interested in the same heatsink you have but dont wanna cover up that memory module slot. Thanks!

Marcus

Yes, it's covered on the 1st slot.
On 1155 and 1156 boards, it's most likely will be covered the 1st slot with (any) after market cooler. For example, a skinny cooler like Cooler Master 212+ stills covered the 1st slot on my 1156 motherboard. Rams with low heatsink height would make use of it.

BTW, if you have not gotten the rams already....why not buy 8GB (4x2) instead if you have the need for it.

============================================

5400MHz - SuperPI 1M - 6.879s

5400MHz - SuperPI 32M - 6m.29.580s

5400MHz - PiFAST - 13.68s

===================================================

OK, to gain a liitle speed.....I had to switch to my cheap 4GB - $50 Ripjaws CL9 rams and overclocked to 1866MHz.

5400MHz - SuperPI 1M - 6.864s

5400MHz - SuperPI 32M - 6m.22.232s

Here is the ram i am more than likely getting

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...l_ripjaws_x_series_8gb-_-20-231-468-_-Product

I figured i would be ok for a while with just 8gb of ram, but i was just wondering about later on down the road if an when i upgrade my memory if the heatsink would cover up the memory slot. What is the max amount of ram that you can put in one slot? Is it 4gb or higher? Maybe i could max out the motherboard just about in just 2 slots.

Also i wanna overclock my CPU when i get it all together, but have never really overclocked b4. What would be a safe overclocking speed that wont push the processor into death real soon?

With i7-2600k is quite easy to overclock....even for you too.
4.4~4.7GHz is an ideal clock which also conserves energy.

This Frio has snap-on fan shrouds. It could be moved up....so, nothing a dremel tool couldn't do.

Original fan's shroud.

Shroud trimmed off.

Fan snap-on a tad higher......... with 4 regular RipJaws rams.

RipJaws X's middle section is a little taller....without a problem.

Just got it made. :)

============================

Crazy cheap rams at high speed. Broke my last record of 2100MHz. :rock:
Stock @ 1600Mhz ==> 2138MHz

5400MHz - PiFAST - 13.60s

5400MHz - SuperPI - 6.864s

5400MHz - SuperPI 32M - 6m 20.469s

Last edited:
Pretty helpful information. When i get everything in ill probably refer back to this an you for help on raising the fan higher preciate the help!

Hello everyone,

Thinking to go from P35 to this Z68 since I have a GTX 580, but...

I hear these Z68 boards are like Nvidia Optimus when it comes to managing which GPU is used etc. What if I don't want to use the on-cpu GPU and only the GTX 580 in the PCI-E slot connected directly to the monitor (no buffer move to internal gpu etc)..!?
Can this be done straight without going into windows? Can I select all that from bios without needing any software? What about linux support etc, how does linux know which video device to use..!?
I have a laptop that uses nvidia optimus and its a pita to manage which games use nv gpu or the intel gpu, some games dont detect it properly or shows up as Intel Video etc. Don't want all these issues on the desktop.

Hope somone can clarify this.

Thanks

Hello everyone,

Thinking to go from P35 to this Z68 since I have a GTX 580, but...

I hear these Z68 boards are like Nvidia Optimus when it comes to managing which GPU is used etc. What if I don't want to use the on-cpu GPU and only the GTX 580 in the PCI-E slot connected directly to the monitor (no buffer move to internal gpu etc)..!?
Can this be done straight without going into windows? Can I select all that from bios without needing any software? What about linux support etc, how does linux know which video device to use..!?
I have a laptop that uses nvidia optimus and its a pita to manage which games use nv gpu or the intel gpu, some games dont detect it properly or shows up as Intel Video etc. Don't want all these issues on the desktop.

Hope somone can clarify this.

Thanks

Might want to look into the lucid virtu software it manages multiple GPU's along with the built in visuals. Take a look at it im not sure though if linux is supported.

What are your bios settings and load line set at for 4.7ghz?

It's good that I still have my notes.

Code:
Multipliers: 46x
BCLK	1020
= 4684MHz

Multi Load Line	DISABLED
Vcore	1.330
QPI/VTT	1.200
System Agent Voltage	Auto
Graphic Core	Auto
CPU PLL	1.700
Internal Graphic Clock	Auto
Turbo	AUTO

Dram 1.60
888-24 1T
Ratio: 1:6 = 1600MHz

4 energy saving features were set to ENABLED
C1E, C3/C6, Intel Thermal Monitor and EIST

Higher power comsumption result if the above 4 features were left on AUTO mode.

Beyond 4684MHz testing, I have used Multi Load Line Caliration at Level 10 for 4842MHz, 4943MHz, 5000MHz, 5100MHz and 5200MHz

Last edited:
It's good that I still have my notes.

Code:
Multipliers: 46x
BCLK	1020
= 4684MHz

Multi Load Line	DISABLED
Vcore	1.330
QPI/VTT	1.200
System Agent Voltage	Auto
Graphic Core	Auto
CPU PLL	1.700
Internal Graphic Clock	Auto
Turbo	AUTO

Dram 1.60
888-24 1T
Ratio: 1:6 = 1600MHz

4 energy saving features were set to ENABLED
C1E, C3/C6, Intel Thermal Monitor and EIST

Higher power comsumption result if the above 4 features were left on AUTO mode.

Beyond 4684MHz testing, I have used Multi Load Line Caliration at Level 10 for 4842MHz, 4943MHz, 5000MHz, 5100MHz and 5200MHz

If you had to do it over again would you have gotten a different cooler? I have seen quite a number of coolers out their that are better and highly recommended compared to Thermaltake anywho would you have?

Sure! If I don't have to spend more than needed.
So many choices can be had. But, in the range of 4.4GHz~4.7GHz for 24/7 usage, I would say any midrange cooler would do just fine since Sandy Bridge runs cooler than previous generations.

Beside, the reason I've used a Frio because I bought it only for $25 spanky new from a member here in the forum probably due to it was too big to fit on his motherboard.
Frio has 5 - 8mm diameter heat pipes....would do fine.

===================

Below ran with a Cooler Master V8 with 2 more fan.

With 4GB Geil Ultra = wprime_1024m_core_i7_2600k_144sec_15ms

With 4GB RipjawX = wprime_32m_core_i7_2600k_4sec_546ms

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I bought the exact same setup recently (except I went with the 2500k i5) and can push it comfortably to around 4.4.

Thank you for showing that shaving the fan casing can allow the first dimm slot to fit a module underneath. I was wondering if I needed to just remove that fan altogether, but I wasn't thrilled about that idea. This cooler is a beast and, for the price, it can't be beat!!

Did you just use a regular razor blade? Your cut looks very clean.

I'll put up some pics of my baby after I get everything put together as I would like. (it's a process)

This is my first Gigabyte board. So far, so good. Running a 2600K with 8GB of 1600 MHz DRAM, RAID-0 with two WD SATA3 HDD's & the 20GB Intel enterprise SSD buffer. Performance is comparable to running a single SATA2 SSD without all the maintenance headaches trying keeping the write speed up and constantly flashing new SSD FW. OC is pretty easy to accomplish on this mobo. It runs stably over 4.8 GHz. BIOS and utilities are significantly different than my Asus UEFI board, so there's been a learning curve. My main concern now is the Z68 chipset heatsink runs too hot for my taste. I want to remedy this before installing an external VGA which would be directly above it.

Update: The main PCI Express X16 slot was found bad. Returning motherboard. Video card was properly seated and configured in BIOS. The X8 slot works fine. What a pain.

Last edited:
I've used a rotary dremel tool to cut the fan's shroud.

BTW guys, I'm NOT using any of the above listed settings currently.

I've found using OFFSET Dynamic Vcore is the best way to limit light threaded applications from applying unnecessary vcore.
Read here at your pleasure ==> i5-2500k - Multi LLC - Vcore - Wattage my other machine also using this same board.

Latest setup with GPU.

Last edited:
Back