• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD FX-8150 - Bulldozer - Processor Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How happy are you with AMD FX-8150 price/performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Those are always cheap, its a baby-CPU specially created to upset power users. Because it does barely exceed the Gulftown but is much cheaper. Did i need something like that? I never had such a weird situation ever. They are delaying theyr own advancement because no competition anymore. The power users are all happy and are comparing to a totaly overpriced Gulftown, which could be much cheaper if they are willing to do so, but why to give a "better" option? Im already confused enough why the heck a old Gulftown is more expensive than a SB? Well because many users dont know what to buy anymore and would pay twice not to get such a SB baby ("if you do something, then do it right" mentality). Soon, you can throw those old SBs away, because of even better SBs, have fun. ;) But no worry.. Intel will sell you a new one every time it happens.

AMD is much more gentle on marketing than that, but it simply doesnt help when it cant compete...

In a way I'm glad BD sux. I save some money this way. All I have to do now is replace the 840 I'm using now with the 1100T. Instantly, I get BD performance at a fraction of the cost.

In a way I'm glad BD sux. I save some money this way. All I have to do now is replace the 840 I'm using now with the 1100T. Instantly, I get BD performance at a fraction of the cost.

lol guess that's a good way of looking at things :p Was waiting for them to mature myself anyways.

Bah, the FX series isn't supposed to be a price/performance anything :mad:

AMD should have kept the Black Edition marketing for these, and reserve the FX badge for if/when they can get a Bulldozer stepping/Piledriver into halo range again.

Of course, this is the same marketing that used the Radeon name to push mid-grade DDR3 modules too :rolleyes:

Oh well, here's hoping GloFo can get their 32nm process yielding some higher clocks soon.

The new AMD BD is in my view best used by main consumers who are having huge systems and are OCing. Any other might not become happy. Its aswell the only way to make it barely competitive to a cheap 2500K CPU. Although Intel made a unlocker for a reason, so they can totaly destroy theyr oponnent since, unlocked multi was a long time advantage of AMD while Intel usualy only had that option enabled on theyr 10000000000000000 $ CPU (not exactly that much but thats how it feelt like). Lets say the 2500-2600K is priced equaly such as the Gulftown, and only the 2600K is unlocked at a priced of 1000$, what would happen? Yes.. we know it! AMD would be getting massive support.. that have to be avoided, and thats why they are such of a wise nerd. Now while Intel was adapting to it in such a manner, AMD is now in big trouble because they cant lower theyr price much more, no matter what they trying to do, they need at least so and so much bucks for it. So its hitting them very hard.
"main consumers" (does that mean non enthusiasts??) Di not overclocking sooooo....

One thing I haven't heard in a while is "Bulldozer is really meant for servers though!"

Am I off my rocker in thinking that these will be terrible for servers due to the heat and power consumption? Was the whole server argument just another flavor of "wait for Windows 8, then Bulldozer won't stink?"

Since the server versions will be clocked slower, I can't see them being winners in the server market either.

Wow...........what a disappointment.
That's about all I can say without going off the edge and really bashing this POS.

Since the server versions will be clocked slower, I can't see them being winners in the server market either.
I think the TDP is likely to be an issue for servers as well. It represents a double hit. First off, the servers would require more power to run and perhaps even bigger PSUs. In addition to that, they could require additional cooling. I'm sure those costs factor into server purchases.

I think the TDP is likely to be an issue for servers as well. It represents a double hit. First off, the servers would require more power to run and perhaps even bigger PSUs. In addition to that, they could require additional cooling. I'm sure those costs factor into server purchases.

I've already advised my friend/client that was interested in the BD server CPU's to let me look into Intel offerings instead. After reading several articles I linked him to, he wholeheartedly agreed.

Perhaps things might change down the road, but I'm not holding my breath.

wowy.png

I just do not get it:screwy:

The lower end BD for 15 more than the 2500K:sly: Something is strange here.

But the total system costs are almost the same.

All I can say is I hope this enthusiast blunder works out to be an OEM wonder or AMD may start to go under and their assets put asunder.

But the total system costs are almost the same.

All I can say is I hope this enthusiast blunder works out to be an OEM wonder or AMD may start to go under and their assets put asunder.

AMD still has the GPU market and it is doing find there.

also I have a good feeling about the OEM market for BD Acer, HP, Dell any of the OEM won't have to pay an inflated price for BD like us since they buy direct so it should be cheaper than an intel setup for them. Also 8 cores will sell better to the average consumer than 4c8t from intel. before I got into computer I had no clue what hyper threading meant. so OEM should be good :chair:

AMD still has the GPU market and it is doing find there.

also I have a good feeling about the OEM market for BD Acer, HP, Dell any of the OEM won't have to pay an inflated price for BD like us since they buy direct so it should be cheaper than an intel setup for them. Also 8 cores will sell better to the average consumer than 4c8t from intel. before I got into computer I had no clue what hyper threading meant. so OEM should be good :chair:

I agree I just thought the poetry sounded good:)

Hyper threading is the stitch they use in Mexico on wrangler jeans is it not?

I agree I just thought the poetry sounded good:)

Hyper threading is the stitch they use in Mexico on wrangler jeans is it not?

and Calvin Klein.

I think some of the people here have forgotten that 'we' enthusiasts make up a tiny portion of the market and the general public doesn't know anything for the most part.

Am I unhappy with how it performs... YES! but do I think this is the end of AMD no!

Me personally... I'm very upset with BD. I upgraded my awesome Gigabyte 790XT board to an AM3+ board so that I was locked and ready to swap my 1100T for a BD. Well, it turns out it was completely useless b/c I am not buying a BD. It's not even a true upgrade from my 1100T...

I've never, EVER been upset with AMD... until now. I was never biased, but always gave AMD a slight edge b/c I like rooting for the underdog. Not only that, but AMD always gave me great value, keeping their motherboard prices down and delivering the performance I was paying for.

I hate to say it, but I regret not moving to 1155 when I had the chance... at this point I'm going to sit this one out one more time and just hang onto my system while it's doing fine.

I do hope that this new architecture is just the start of something new/better... only time will tell.

Me personally... I'm very upset with BD. I upgraded my awesome Gigabyte 790XT board to an AM3+ board so that I was locked and ready to swap my 1100T for a BD. Well, it turns out it was completely useless b/c I am not buying a BD. It's not even a true upgrade from my 1100T...

I've never, EVER been upset with AMD... until now. I was never biased, but always gave AMD a slight edge b/c I like rooting for the underdog. Not only that, but AMD always gave me great value, keeping their motherboard prices down and delivering the performance I was paying for.

I hate to say it, but I regret not moving to 1155 when I had the chance... at this point I'm going to sit this one out one more time and just hang onto my system while it's doing fine.

Dont worry IB and SB-E are coming ane they are based on current working performance monsters. I figure this slap from the enthusiast community (kick in the nutz) might be what AMD needs to get their house back in order.

I think that the APU market is where AMD is better suited. since they already have the GPU know how they might as well capitalize on it. I think the APU was a far better product than the BD.

Back