• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD FX-8350 - Piledriver - CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
this would be a good topic for a real review imho

This is the discussion thread for our review of the CPU that's on our frontpage. You can click on the link in the OP to go straight to the review, or you can find the review on the frontpage.

My new upgrade is setting on a desk across from me. It's a HUGE black obese... I mean obsidian 800D. Inside lies a brand new 360 CPU/GPU water cooling loop affixed to a brand new ASUS DCUII GPU and just a bit over 1 year old FX-8150 CPU. These are plugged into an also brand new ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard and brand new OCZ 1000 Watt gold PSU. All of these are getting their orders out of a brand new Samsung 830 256 GB SSD -- All with little hesitation or complaints anywhere.

But, this new build was always intended to have brand new commander-in-chief once it came out. So, I too will be ordering the new Piledriver. It will have to wait a bit though, as I'm also building 2 new computers I'll need to finish first. I used to do this as a business about 10 years back, and I'm sorta getting my feet wet again so to speak. I've found my regular business's are running quite well without my undivided attention the past few months, and I'm kinda thinking about doing some builds for a few clients and maybe some new customers, to see if I'd like getting back into this part time.

Even though I am looking forward to the new FX-8350, I will say, the new Ivy Bridge processors are awfully hard to beat. Both of these new builds will have i5 3570K Ivy Bridge processors in them. I'm testing one now and it's actually boots much faster then the the Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z does. This particular one is using a new Asrock Z77 Extreme 3 motherboard and Corsair Force 3 240GB SSD. Running Windows 8, it fully boots from button push to Windows Desktop in less the 10 seconds normally -- That is the quickest cold boot I've seen, ever.

Anyways, I'll be finalizing the new upgrade maybe in a week or 2, including the new piledriver CPU. Eager to try the overclocking on that new chip.

-Rodger

This is the discussion thread for our review of the CPU that's on our frontpage. You can click on the link in the OP to go straight to the review, or you can find the review on the frontpage.

referring to the (sub) discussion on the previous page

Even though I am looking forward to the new FX-8350, I will say, the new Ivy Bridge processors are awfully hard to beat. Both of these new builds will have i5 3570K Ivy Bridge processors in them. I'm testing one now and it's actually boots much faster then the the Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z does. This particular one is using a new Asrock Z77 Extreme 3 motherboard and Corsair Force 3 240GB SSD. Running Windows 8, it fully boots from button push to Windows Desktop in less the 10 seconds normally -- That is the quickest cold boot I've seen, ever.

-Rodger

Well Roger it is not that The IVYBRIDGE boots faster it is that Windows has never really been designed to run optimally for a multicore processor. It still has a lousy scheduler . It appears that with windows 8 Microsoft stil has been "too busy" to repair the scheduler. ON An FX 8 core processor Linux boots so much faster than on many Intel I7's. It is poor design and the incestuous relationship of the Wintel monopolists. Frankly I do not believe windows compilkes its os with all the AMD optimizations that it should. Can I prove it? No , do I believe it , yes. AMD is doing a hell ofa job in spite of the obstacles and a shoe string budget. If their various new offerings in the multi-faceted market place pan out. They will have more money to up the R$D budget for their cpus. That would mean a shorter development cycle. It might mean they can reintegrate a foundry later on and give The big boys a run for the money.

The reason Ivy boots faster is a different implementation of UEFI most likely. The AMD side hasn't gotten around to implementing UEFIs (for instance, ASUS' CAP UEFIs for their Z77/X79 boards) that take advantage of the hardware's ability to boot by basically skipping the entire POST process.

ASUS says they're working on it for the AMD side but haven't gotten there yet. The difference in boot time is essentially just POST. One POSTs, the other skips that part.

To be optimistic, I expect the next Athlon 64 sometime next year.
To be pessimistic, I expect my AMD stock is going to hit $1 before this year ends.

Supposedly, my Dell laptop has UEFI, but there's no options for it in BIOS. Thankfully, some people have taken the time to modify the BIOS to provide more overclocking features, and some of them expose a lot of previously hidden features (including UEFI options). It already boots in less than 20 seconds, but I bet that can be improved :)

This Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z with the FX-8150 in it takes about a minute to get into Windows 7. It's booting from the Samsung 830 SSD which is pretty fast. Post does take about half of that time though.

After I finish this rebuild, I see about tweaking things a bit.

-Rodger

This Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z with the FX-8150 in it takes about a minute to get into Windows 7. It's booting from the Samsung 830 SSD which is pretty fast. Post does take about half of that time though.

After I finish this rebuild, I see about tweaking things a bit.

-Rodger

Same Drive, sorry, i couldn't resist :D

Attachments

• boot time.PNG
    boot time.PNG
    36.5 KB · Views: 114
@Frakk how to I find that utility?

Anyways, I am doing my first BD encode on my new 8320 @ 4.4Ghz just to get a baseline time, thus far I have to say it definitely seems to be a good bit quicker. Maybe its just the particular chip I got, but I must say I am surprised at how much this chip wants volts in comparison to the 8120 I had.

I dropped by newegg this evening and found the 8350 is already sold out...looks like they're doing well so far in terms of sales :)

@Frakk how to I find that utility?

Anyways, I am doing my first BD encode on my new 8320 @ 4.4Ghz just to get a baseline time, thus far I have to say it definitely seems to be a good bit quicker. Maybe its just the particular chip I got, but I must say I am surprised at how much this chip wants volts in comparison to the 8120 I had.
That's good. I do alot of video (personal and business) so I need fast encode speeds (and a whole lot of storage).

-Rodger

I prefer a nice stopwatch. I don't trust random executable files that hook that deep into the boot process of Windows :) You should be able to pull timestamps from Event Log to figure out how long it took, but I'm not sure if Windows would provide a sane feature like logging startup events...

On the Phenom II X6 1100T, the HyperTransport bus (which is used to connect the CPU to the chipset) works at 2 GHz (8 MB/s)

Possibly a typo, but one that really ought not to have been missed in proof-reading. That should be 8 GB/s.

The only scenario where the FX-8350 was faster was on 3D rendering with Cinebench. This could mean that the FX-8350 is a better choice for professionals rendering 3D images. However, we believe this kind of user will prefer to buy a Core i7 processor instead.

Um... is that a "we're going to come right out and admit that we're biased here"?

Back