• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Threadripper 2 Review Compilation (2990WX and 2950X)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have 1920X and it's just right for my needs ... or even too much. At least my chip overclocks like 2k series, there are no special changes and I don't need more cores so I don't think I will move to 2k series anytime soon. Current prices are great. I got my CPU 30% below market price but now it's 30% less than I paid for it.

These prices are redic, but I'll just hope and wait for Zen2 Threadrippers. I also want to see what Cyberpunk is going to want. :D

The benches published in the article were impressive by themselves, but for $400 that thing is a steal-if you can actually use it. It even did pretty well in the game benchmarks, whupping the Intels in a few. This is a case of wishing I had the money "just because".

cb4250.png

I got one of these silly things

I have yet felt like I am maxing my 1920X lol is why i have not needed to upgrade but if i do I am going straight for the 2950X since i really don't need atm the WX. By the time I need one I can buy it cheaper. ;) Working on programming and designing games with Unity + C#.

Very nice CD, nice clocks too

I need better ram to help the team out. This is getting beat by a guy on OCN I have been talking with since I got it. I have booted as high as 4.4ghz, but she is wont run the test stable. Needs some cold I guess.

How many watts does the 2990WX use at full load?

I was pulling 980W (peak) from the wall with a 4.2g @ 1.32v overclock and this was done with a top quality Seasonic 1200W Platinum PRIME PSU. I have seen some evidence that people are pulling over 1500W from the wall with JUST the CPU on LN2 using the ASRock Taichi M motherboard.

How are you guys doing with memory? Is there anyone else out there running quad channel B-DIE? Compare mem timings with me? :D I am at 3600 CL12-12-12 right now in quad channel, but my sub timings are not yet fully dialed in. The performance gains from memory on this generation are HUGE from what I have seen. Even benches that are not really know for memory scaling, such as R15, are gaining huge from memory speeds. From the testing I have done it appears that there is more gains to be had from high memory frequency, rather than tight timings, but both show marked gains in R15 and other benchmarks.

What cooling solutions are you guys using? I am using the Alphacool Eisblock XPX, which doesn't cover the whole IHS but it does not seem to matter.

DeOJ9VY.png
e65FBVnh.jpg

Last edited:
Back