• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Trueblack most of us are just rolling our eyes at you is why you see so little supporting arguments. Clock for clock 680gtx cant compete with a 7970 and the 7970s on average overclock better than the 680gtx. They"7970" also released 6 months earlier and id have to guess on average most can do 1200mhz core - 1650mhz mem 24/7 from the first day of release some actually oced better in the earlier versions. So its quite simple the 680s just released with a more aggressive overclock to compensate for the lack of overall competitiveness otherwise. Until titan released the 7970s were still beating down on the 680s in almost every 3d bench out there in the overclocking leagues air or otherwise. Your trying to compare a stock for stock which to me and alot of others is just a feeble attempt at winning a argument some might call it fanboyism at the very least.

Also bobnova has benched and tested more than his fair share of hardware so taking his views or opinions into your consideration would be just good advice.

Then you have someone like myself that has a 24/7 1250+core -1850+mem card which should actually compete with any stock 780gtx or be close in performance it makes the 780gtx for a gamer seem like a meh type upgrade at most.

You sound respectful, so I shall be the same. Cause I bet people that bench and compete would roll their eyes. but you people need to know, you are NOT the majority. People like ME, is closer to the majority, we have a nice computer, we hard earn some money to buy a decent GPU, and we play games, without trying to break it with overclocking. We might use Precision X to overclock it a little, use KGB to flash a bios, and to those end, GTX680 and 7970 gives roughly the same overclocking edge. Not everyone is on water, most of market is on STOCK cooling btw.

First off, MOST of the gamers do not overclock 'much' on their GPU, this is why sites like guru/techpowerUp compare on stock. Which is the most relevant data to us. However you are wrong when you say 7970GE better, maybe it was, but not anymore, now they are the same cross an avg of many games and resolution. In fact, if you wish to count out resolution people do not use, 680 > 7970GE a little, but the margin is so small it is pointless to argue that. 680 = 7970 on stock for the average gamer. (like me) Your recommendation, or Bobnova will be good advice for people trying to compete with benches, however, are you vain enough to say you two contributes better to say other sites are wrong? If the majority don't bench on crazy clocks, but your team does... now who's using niche data to justify a card is better than the other? unfortunately that's you. 90% of the buyers dont overclock. do you see?

For your read:http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_780/26.html
then other's said this site is wrong, says it is the only site that says Nvidia better than AMD on bioshock
this is also wrong, as many sites says 680 > 7970 on bioshock
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/bioshock_infinite_graphics_performance_review_benchmark,6.html
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/04/23/bioshock-infinite-performance/4

So I am sorry, you are wrong. so is Bobnova.
For the average person that doesn't want to break their GPU with overclock, GTX 680 IS about the same as 7970GE.
I hope you are not in so deep that you want to call all these review sites wrong, and yourself and bobnova as right. cause that would be quite vain indeed.
You might be right to the 1% of benchers among the majority, to the rest of the Majority, you are sounding like a moron saying stuff like "Not when it is on LN2 or water with Volt mods". Cause we don't do much of that, and we just don't care if you can do it, we don't. This is why I :shrug: when bobnova decided to say techpowerUp doesn't update enough, cause in fact, he's out out of the market in most cost and performance on stock, and he really should make a firm statement before checking.

This is IMPORTANT, get it in your head:
"COMPARING AT STOCK, IS TALKING TO MARKET MAJORITY"
you can overclock it a bit, compare, cool with that.
but when you talk about anything out of safety zones, well, that's interesting to know only, hardly applies.

This is why these sites that compare at stocks are the more popular review sites out there, not the extreme reviews.

I have NO DOUBT, the 7970GE can bench like a madman on synthetic 3D benches like 3dmark2011 or what not, you are right, 7970GE will KILL GTX680 in those area, hands down. I do not even try to argue there. I am saying, I didn't buy a GPU to bench, I bought one to play games, like the rest of the majority. Like the remaining 99% of the market.

7970GE use to boost Performace/Cost

but this has changed since 780 came out, and you need to know, as GTX680 price dropped a little.
now the performance/cost of GTX680 and 7970GE basically at the same margin. That has been my 'entire point'.

now when they are the same, what gamers value? other add/on values for gaming.
like 3Dvision, like quick driver delivery.

and I was asked what makes the GTX680 a gamer's choice, so I brought up other features, which I will suppose won't be very useful to people benching either. So I am not surprised if you do not find those points relevant. I am here to say, you folks that bench, see things differently than the avg Joe who doesn't. If 7970GE is so good, why is it not giving more FPS than GTX680 in ALL titles? You have a reason there? Cause I have one, that is GeForce drivers improves faster, 7970GE might be a stronger card in the core, but it LACKS DRIVERS support for new games, this is the case since catalyst 11.0. This alone keeps the GTX680 better in gaming FPS despite the 7970 can overclock better on 3dBenches.

and this is where, you are wrong. to the majority, those sites are closer to reality. You and your team who can only speak to the 1% of the benching elites, in this case, is WRONG. I am sorry. We don't bench, we compare at stock and at the low end of overclocking. and as of today, 7970GE doesn't even have the performance/cost edge anymore. is it still 'marginally' cheaper than GTX680 on performance/cost? maybe, depends where you get the card and what for, but that margin to the majority, doesn't REMOTELY compare to the other services a nvidia card holder gets from the company.

Again, I am NOT saying GTX 680 > 7970GE on performance. DO NOT READ IT AS SUCH.
they are the about the same, is what i am saying, justified by many sites. I listed them out already.
and for 'similar performance, or too small a gap of difference' Nvidia has a LOT more to offer.

I am not even going to start another microstutter talk.
hopefully now you learn how to recommend this to the public, not sounding like a nerd in a tin can.
I am on overclock.net on the same topic, and they did a self compare on stock looking like this, for details, go over and find yourself, I will just post results:

again, this is just stock. the talk stemmed from what the majority will see if they just plug and see scores on 3dmark.
they are in agreement that 7970GE can overclock better on water as well, and that overclocking edge CAN top the GTX680, so there's arguement there.
But this comparing is relevant, cause the majority doesn't really OC that much. (within 5-10% of stock only)

ALSO, NOT SAYING this below is the absolute truth. Far from it, but just showing people are finding the GTX680 on par with 7970 on average.

900x900px-LL-6c73ab83_3Dmark11benchmarksresults.png

Last edited:
ok but even my nub non geek friends have figured out how to oc their 7970s to 1200mhz+ core 1600+mem and most of them paid 350 or so for theirs i still cant find a 680 for 350$

the ghz edition cards are just for people who cant figure out how to download afterburner or precision or the other 5 or so oc tools out there . even the amd ccc tool can do a decent oc.

i should add 1 thing. this is the Overclockers Forums

just saying cant come on here and preach stock.

@trueblack , I agree with most of your statements and I believe that it has become a circular argument of people making different cases to prove that they are correct. In this case both sides have valid arguments and sources (both objective and subjective) to backup said points.

One quick note 2560x1600 is becoming more popular, but more so in the 16:9 flavor of 2560x1440. I agree though that most enthusiast gamers are likely on 1920x1080 at this point.

The argument about drivers I've seen both ways. It seems that it just depends on the game for which company releases updated drivers for it. From both parties I have seen some pretty poor drivers at a game launch that if they are huge flaws get fixed quite quickly with a beta driver or hot fix.

I think the major issue with looking at all of the review sites is that I would bet most compared results are from previous reviews that would have used (by current standards) an outdated driver or differently patched windows or who knows what else. Again, I tend to look at +/-2% as margin of error which doesnt give bias one way or the other.

Overall I think this generation has had some excellent performers and I'm excited to see how the tech explodes in the next 12 months after the new consoles launch. I think we will be back to shorter upgrade cycles again - which are fun to follow, but hard to live through if you want to always be on the cutting edge (especially on your wallet!)!

As for the 780 it is one fantastic piece of hardware. Its price/performance is excellent.. when compared to the Titan, but not much else. I would have LOVED to see it drop in at $500 and everything else drop in price accordingly, but when you have the crown you can charge an arm for hardware and get away with it (Intel is also guilty of this nowadays 3930k/3960(70)x)

Last edited:
i should add 1 thing. this is the Overclockers Forums

just saying cant come on here and preach stock.

Ok, i should respect that, you are right on that aspect 100%.
I was only comparing cause someone asked about a 'gamer's choice' only.

Your view and Bobnova's view on the OC-ed end of it will of course be taken as the Elite advice for those who can get on better cooling solutions.. etc.

Hope you see where I am coming from.

@trueblack , I agree with most of your statements and I believe that it has become a circular argument of people making different cases to prove that they are correct. In this case both sides have valid arguments and sources (both objective and subjective) to backup said points.

One quick note 2560x1600 is becoming more popular, but more so in the 16:9 flavor of 2560x1440. I agree though that most enthusiast gamers are likely on 1920x1080 at this point.

The argument about drivers I've seen both ways. It seems that it just depends on the game for which company releases updated drivers for it. From both parties I have seen some pretty poor drivers at a game launch that if they are huge flaws get fixed quite quickly with a beta driver or hot fix.

I think the major issue with looking at all of the review sites is that I would bet most compared results are from previous reviews that would have used (by current standards) an outdated driver or differently patched windows or who knows what else. Again, I tend to look at +/-2% as margin of error which doesnt give bias one way or the other.
In full agreement on performance. I see little to no bias.. some wins some, depends on personal favor more really.
Overall I think this generation has had some excellent performers and I'm excited to see how the tech explodes in the next 12 months after the new consoles launch. I think we will be back to shorter upgrade cycles again - which are fun to follow, but hard to live through if you want to always be on the cutting edge!

As for the 780 it is one fantastic piece of hardware. Its price/performance is excellent.. when compared to the Titan, but not much else. I would have LOVED to see it drop in at $500 and everything else drop in price accordingly, but when you have the crown you can charge an arm for hardware and get away with it (Intel is also guilty of this nowadays 3930k/3960(70)x)

I agree with that fully as well, and I must confess I share the excitement of volcanic island chips from AMD and what they will bring.
nvidia NEEDS AMD to be a competition, and when they compete, we the public wins.

i prefer very slight overclock only too.
i find 680 and 7970. equal.
but the recent talk and trends in games make me prefer the 680.
any chance of more price drop on the 6XX series?

I wouldn't expect any dramatic price drops, the price of the 780 was set above even the launch price of the 680 placing it in its own bracket. I expect the 770 to fall in around 500-550$ where the 680 used to be, leaving the 680 and 670 in their current brackets.

yeah sure. when talking about how often techpowerUp update their benches:
Not updated recently != "not well managed, and their benching is wrong". Don't put words in my mouth.

If You mean something else there, I would apologize and hear what you mean by that. But from a normal person reading, you are saying TechpowerUp's most recent bench is poorly managed, and can be ignored. You got mislead by Xeon there, cause in fact Guru and other sites shows GTX680 > 7970 in his example, bioshock. Look at bluezero5's links if you do not believe.
:shrug:
Not only did I mean something else, I said something else. So let's hear it.

Yup, please keep up with the world before making a strong statement. as a senior member you should.
Read the senior member charter, have you? You have no clue, no clue at all.

Wrong is wrong dude. If correcting senior member now a 'no no' on this forum, that we might as well be communists.
Not wrong at all, but correcting can be done in a variety of ways, you've chosen the second worst way.
Of course, when correcting someone it helps if you are, you know, right.
When it comes to "right", it helps to have a bit of a perspective. Game another decade and then look back on this.

funny isn't it?
one thing nvidia done, and you completely Soak it. good things from nvidia completely ignored. All my teammates I know, use 3D glasses on BF3, it makes it soooooo much better. I will accept your personal dislike though, its not for everyone. but yes, the recent driver wasn't the best for bf3, that's why in techpowerup, nvidia no longer score as high as well. But EVEN THEN, the average performance is still better. I wonder what you have to say there. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_780/26.html
And everybody (everybody) I know personally who plays BF3 does it in 2D. Guess the "people I know" card can go both ways, who'd have thought? Try again.

The recent driver was (is, unless it's been replaced/fixed) garbage. It wasn't just not the best, it breaks things.

AMD eyefinity use to be something, until the kepler series of GTX cards can do 4 screens WITHOUT the requirement of a passive->active tail adapter. So unless you want more than 4 screens. They are the same.
How bout six? :D

again SLI>CFX is ignored, cause AMD loses. totally normal. just people quitting gaming cause of it. :shrug:
Depends on the game, the drivers, the cards, and the people.
Like I said, I've never had any issues, microstuttering or otherwise, on either brand. The only issue I have ever had is in regards to GTX580s not being willing to SLI with modded drivers.

yup, bring the popcorn, what else you got to say?
Plenty, this is only part one :D

First off, MOST of the gamers do not overclock 'much' on their GPU, this is why sites like guru/techpowerUp compare on stock. Which is the most relevant data to us. However you are wrong when you say 7970GE better, maybe it was, but not anymore, now they are the same cross an avg of many games and resolution. In fact, if you wish to count out resolution people do not use, 680 > 7970GE a little, but the margin is so small it is pointless to argue that. 680 = 7970 on stock for the average gamer. (like me) Your recommendation, or Bobnova will be good advice for people trying to compete with benches, however, are you vain enough to say you two contributes better to say other sites are wrong? If the majority don't bench on crazy clocks, but your team does... now who's using niche data to justify a card is better than the other? unfortunately that's you. 90% of the buyers dont overclock. do you see?
As was pointed out, this is Overclockers.com, we aren't talking to, or for, people who don't overclock.
If you're looking to throw out overclocking results because "everybody else wasn't OCing", you're welcome to, but you might want to find a new forum.

For the average person that doesn't want to break their GPU with overclock, GTX 680 IS about the same as 7970GE.
I hope you are not in so deep that you want to call all these review sites wrong, and yourself and bobnova as right. cause that would be quite vain indeed.
Hey now you say it's about the same! Just recently you were saying the 680 is the clear gamers choice. Perhaps you should retrieve your "contradicting yourself" stone and contemplate your own sins before you cast it again, eh?
For reference, now that they're "about the same", the lowest price 7970 1GHz I can find is $400 flat, the lowest price GTX680 (excluding open boxes, those don't count, nor do used costs) is $450. 11% higher price for "about the same" performance. Clearly this is the right choice?

You might be right to the 1% of benchers among the majority, to the rest of the Majority, you are sounding like a moron saying stuff like "Not when it is on LN2 or water with Volt mods". Cause we don't do much of that, and we just don't care if you can do it, we don't. This is why I :shrug: when bobnova decided to say techpowerUp doesn't update enough, cause in fact, he's out out of the market in most cost and performance on stock, and he really should make a firm statement before checking.
Who said LN2/water (lol, what a combination) and voltmods? I suspect you forget that unlike Nvidia, AMD actually allows voltage control. Not that all AIB partners do, but it's there on the reference cards.
I suspect you meant "shouldn't make a firm statement". Perhaps a break is in order, keyboard rage may be setting in over there.
On cost, I covered that last quote. The jump in price to get to the GTX680 isn't as bad as it used to be, but it's still a lot for "about the same performance".
On TPU, you clearly failed to note the lack of solidity. One doesn't wager on a solid, known, thing.
Beyond that, I still doubt they re-bench every single card every driver release, largely for time reasons.

This is IMPORTANT, get it in your head:
"COMPARING AT STOCK, IS TALKING TO MARKET MAJORITY"
you can overclock it a bit, compare, cool with that.
but when you talk about anything out of safety zones, well, that's interesting to know only, hardly applies.
Says the guy with "so.. you have an Intel "k" chip, but you think it is best not to OC it... seriously man, what are you?" in his signature. lol

This is why these sites that compare at stocks are the more popular review sites out there, not the extreme reviews.
Aha, popularity makes a person correct now?

I have NO DOUBT, the 7970GE can bench like a madman on synthetic 3D benches like 3dmark2011 or what not, you are right, 7970GE will KILL GTX680 in those area, hands down. I do not even try to argue there. I am saying, I didn't buy a GPU to bench, I bought one to play games, like the rest of the majority. Like the remaining 99% of the market.
Actually 3d11 is Nvidia's game if you don't turn off tessellation. You should have done some research on that one.

7970GE use to boost Performace/Cost
Uses what? Completing sentences helps a person be understood.

but this has changed since 780 came out, and you need to know, as GTX680 price dropped a little.
now the performance/cost of GTX680 and 7970GE basically at the same margin. That has been my 'entire point'.
Has it? It started off that 7970s were a terrible choice, not that they were basically at the same level. (Margin means, essentially, border. Sometimes a dividing space.)

now when they are the same, what gamers value? other add/on values for gaming.
like 3Dvision, like quick driver delivery.
Quick driver delivery, that you have to search the partially hidden "beta drivers" section to find. Great.

and I was asked what makes the GTX680 a gamer's choice, so I brought up other features, which I will suppose won't be very useful to people benching either. So I am not surprised if you do not find those points relevant. I am here to say, you folks that bench, see things differently than the avg Joe who doesn't. If 7970GE is so good, why is it not giving more FPS than GTX680 in ALL titles? You have a reason there? Cause I have one, that is GeForce drivers improves faster, 7970GE might be a stronger card in the core, but it LACKS DRIVERS support for new games, this is the case since catalyst 11.0. This alone keeps the GTX680 better in gaming FPS despite the 7970 can overclock better on 3dBenches.
Now 7970s are stronger?
But GTX680s are better?
The driver support thing continues to be hilarious to me, btw.
The 7970 can overclock better on everything, not just benches.

and this is where, you are wrong. to the majority, those sites are closer to reality. You and your team who can only speak to the 1% of the benching elites, in this case, is WRONG. I am sorry. We don't bench, we compare at stock and at the low end of overclocking. and as of today, 7970GE doesn't even have the performance/cost edge anymore. is it still 'marginally' cheaper than GTX680 on performance/cost? maybe, depends where you get the card and what for, but that margin to the majority, doesn't REMOTELY compare to the other services a nvidia card holder gets from the company.
You contradict yourself here again, first it doesn't have an edge, then it does, but it doesn't matter because Nvidia services the card holders well.
You seem to be of the (highly mistaken) opinion that the benching team doesn't play games.
News flash: We almost all play games. Some of us play a LOT of games.
Bonus news flash: Most of the benching team doesn't overclock much, or at all, for 24/7 use.
Those two news flashes plop us squarely in what you define as "normal gamers". We just happen to be normal gamers that know a touch more about the hardware.

Again, I am NOT saying GTX 680 > 7970GE on performance. DO NOT READ IT AS SUCH.
they are the about the same, is what i am saying, justified by many sites. I listed them out already.
and for 'similar performance, or too small a gap of difference' Nvidia has a LOT more to offer.
Go re-read your post here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7486943&postcount=181
Then tell me you aren't saying that the GTX680 is better on performance. Let me give you a few lines from that post, for completeness sake:
"This is my favorite link, as he posted a link that shows the performance of EVERYHTING averaging in, clearly showing GTX680 >= 7970 Ghz"
"multiple sites clear shows the avg performance of GTX680 > 7970GE."
"So rather than 'realizing GTX680 > 7970GE is true since many months ago"
"I am saying that GTX680 is a clear Gamer's choice, cause the performance is better"
"But if you are like the rest, on 1920+/- resolution, GTX680 has better avg gaming performance"

I think you can see how we got the idea you were claiming the GTX680 has higher performance.

I am not even going to start another microstutter talk.
Me neither, never seen it, can't talk about it.
hopefully now you learn how to recommend this to the public, not sounding like a nerd in a tin can.
Nice.

I'm going to make an off-topic suggestion real quick here: People take posts that contain proper grammar, capitalization and punctuation rather more seriously than posts that lack such things.

On the subject of performance:
It varies, hugely, by game.
It varies, hugely, by individual GPU as well. What is "stock".
Is a 7970GHz "stock" at 1.0GHz? What about Gigabyte's base windforce model, it's not a GHz Edition, but the clocks are 1GHz stock. Their GHz edition is 1.1GHz "stock".
I think we covered the overclocking thing enough, I have to say that I find it absolutely hilarious coming from you with your sig that bashes non-OCers and your CPU OC'd to the bitter edge of MOSFET flame out.

I say that now that the prices are within 12%, look at the games you want to play and pick based on that.
With the previous pricing, the 680 was lol. With the new pricing, that it really ought to have had for rather of a while (and would have, if Nvidia didn't enjoy servicing their card holders quite so much), it's a much more reasonable choice.

The GTX780 is an epic card with a lol pricetag. The titan is even more epic, with an even more lol pricetag.
None of them have decently beefy power sections. One of the main reasons the Titan is limited so much in voltage is that the MOSFETs go blammo somewhere between 1.25v and 1.35v when overclocking. That's regardless of cooling, too.
The 680 power bits are stronger, but still fall woefully short of the 7970 power bits.
The 780 uses the same stuff the Titan does, it can overvolt (with hardmods, being Nvidia) a bit further before blammo.
I don't think I've seen even a reference to a 7970 that chunked the MOSFETs, excluding improperly done OCP hardmods. Those are lethal.

So, to extrapolate a bit, I think we all know that heat kills silicon (not to be confused with silicone :D). That isn't really up for argument.
MOSFETs are silicon devices.
The more stressed the MOSFETs are, the hotter they run.
The hotter they run the faster they degrade.
The more they degrade, the hotter they run.
It's a positive feedback loop.
It leads to another positive feedback loop, which in turn promptly leads to blammo.

Have I seen stock cooled 680s dying yet? No. Do I expect to see them next week? No. Do I expect to see them eventually? Yes. Think GTX570 and GTX590 for examples.

Now that I've spent some time writing all this up, I'm going to get on with me evening. Enjoy!

I refuse to comment much on your post that is aimed to insult people on grammar etc, least I don't respond to those with a vocab of a 12 year old. You can do that all day, you will get not much response from me. But you sure show your personality very well as a senior member, interesting. Glad to meet you, bobnova.

Now, you read the above out of context completely, but I will help you understand it, since you need the help.

Go re-read your post here:
Then tell me you aren't saying that the GTX680 is better on performance. Let me give you a few lines from that post, for completeness sake:

"This is my favorite link, as he posted a link that shows the performance of EVERYHTING averaging in, clearly showing GTX680 >= 7970 Ghz"
in gaming. and it is true, it shows that. if you can't read graphs, I can teach.
"multiple sites clear shows the avg performance of GTX680 > 7970GE."
In gaming. and it is true. numbers Do not lie.
"So rather than 'realizing GTX680 > 7970GE is true since many months ago"
"I am saying that GTX680 is a clear Gamer's choice, cause the performance is better"
In gaming, and it is true.
"But if you are like the rest, on 1920+/- resolution, GTX680 has better avg gaming performance"
and again, it is true, according to many sites. I know you might want to disagree, you are welcome to.
I think you can see how we got the idea you were claiming the GTX680 has higher performance.
yes, you should cause it is true. IN GAMING.
The whole context is "Why is GTX680 better than 7970 in gaming."

hope that point is now across, and you have no more questions.
albeit, the margin is SMALL, GTX680 is better by fractions which makes it -pointless- to discuss.

Now, I really don't know what friends you have, or why they do not try 3D, it's either they don't have the money to buy the 3D monitor, or maybe it is a generation gap thing. Afterall, it is a younger generation thing, I don't expect the older generation to see too much value there. But that's OK, the old generation will soon be replaced by newer, and just like CRT TVs will be replaced by LEDs, it WILL happen, just see. For now, I agree, I think less than 20% of people use the 3D feature, but those that do, LOVE it. I believe it has a future.

Your points on 7970GE being a good card is not bad, it is a good card what what you do to it. Voltage control, etc. That card can take lots of abuse, so I understand your loyalty to it. And I respect that. I just find it weird that you refuse to respect 'the majority' that doesn't do OC-ing above what CCC might offer. For us, 7970GE <=> GTX680 in most cases, depending what you doing. But lets not go into circular references again, I think we got that point across.

Your stance on CFX being fine is the only thing I feel you are being Ultra Stubborn about. But there's nothing I can do about it, your point is your point. There are people complaining everyday about it, I live next to one, but guess you won't believe it, despite AMD admit CFX requires a fix. :shrug:

Now Bobnova, you are a senior member. I am NOT SURE what makes one, nor am I interested. But people 'look up' to you here as your name is Blue. You among anyone, SHOULDN'T make statements that will jeopordize your credit. You know what I mean, when you say things like:

This about TechPowerUp Update frequency:
Not often enough, I'd wager.

you mean you are not calling them out for posting a poor comparison with not oftenly updating their drivers? and that is not a reflection of poor management? Do you simply mean they don't know what they are doing, and hence don't update enough? If you mean something else there, you sure lost me there. Yup. Don't know what else you can mean other than utter disrespect for a site that does review.

and:

AMD gives the 680 a beating and costs less. Nvidia has enough Loyal Followers that are willing to pay too much for the performance as long as the label is green.

That is not only false, it sparks fanboyism wars. Cause for the rest of us, what you just did there, was 'ignore' all review sites that said otherwise, replace reality with your own, and call everyone out for buying things that's not worth it. (that's exactly what's implied in your speech.) If you think you can say that, and not expect a rebuttal, well, maybe you should post less, it is not objective, nor representing, and makes this forum looks like an AMD fan site. Not everyone wants to void their warranty by posting the EULA line in the AMD bios, most people I know will just use PrecisionX and CCC, and get that extra 10% til the air cooling beings to throttle out of heat. And on that front, both cards OC in air about the same. (you are free to comment.) And those that having gaming sessions more than 2 hours, we want to keep our GPU cool, last thing we want is a sudden FPS drop or crash, so I hardly OC it near any possible limits. I used KGB for my GTX670 however, I researched it, it is legal to use, doesn't void warranty, and the card operates quite well with it. a GTX670 with it, can operate like a GTX680 as stock, and that makes a LOT of Nvidia users happy. A GTX680 on it, with just simply precisionX, will match a 7970GE on most catagories except out of the boundaries where both cards might crash. If you do not agree, please make a comparison of them, I believe many people will like to read your OC review on these cards done objective... like you said, this is an OC forum.. best see something there.

another point I would like to make, is I find the 7970 buring up into much hotter temperature than the GTX 680 over time. So in longer gaming sessions, AMD cards actually 'cannot' be OC-ed too much, else it reaches temperatures that the average person might not be too comfortable with. This might have something to do with 7970 using more power consumption, not sure. This is the precise reason however, why I would overclock my GTX 670 at 1.212V, but my roommate who is still on 7970, will just slightly overclock the voltage on CCC, and not all the way. This area I won't pretend I know much, but this what we observed.

btw, I got my Mobo and CPU for free, from a sponser, so unlike my GPU, I will clock the shxt outta it. I normally won't even buy an Euthastist class chip, as it is a complete overkill for what I do. So you know that. (as you questioned.) I have my old 2600k to fall back on when this dies, and in a way, I am waiting for it too.. surprise it hadn't.

I am in a pretty good mood today, but I do have a paper to write.
if you have more to say, you can post, my next reply can take a while though.

ps: I don't think the GTX780 price tag is too bad. For something with no competition, they can price it anywhere they want. that's what corporations are SUPPOSE to do, SELL new technology, compete prices when matched. I don't think that is hard to understand.

Last edited:
Overall, why are GFX cards so limited with overclocking?

I mean CPUs are pushed crazy beyond limits, running 24/7 on specs 2.0GHz above just fine, etc, I pushed my Xeons 50% higher than they're rated, and their temps only rose 5C at idle, lmfao. And really GPUs would benefit (it seems) WAY more than CPUs...

So what limits GPU's? Their power sections are all woefully inadequate? What are CPU's "power sections" like? The whole 8+2 thing? How do you find out what your mobo has?

AMD gives the 680 a beating and costs less. Nvidia has enough Loyal Followers that are willing to pay too much for the performance as long as the label is green.

Perhaps they bielieve that the quality is worth it? I certainly do. 690s and Titans look like you could throw them at the wall and they'd be fine, AMD cards not so much.

Last edited:
Overall, why are GFX cards so limited with overclocking?

I mean CPUs are pushed crazy beyond limits, running 24/7 on specs 2.0GHz above just fine, etc, I pushed my Xeons 50% higher than they're rated, and their temps only rose 5C at idle, lmfao. And really GPUs would benefit (it seems) WAY more than CPUs...

So what limits GPU's? Their power sections are all woefully inadequate? What are CPU's "power sections" like? The whole 8+2 thing? How do you find out what your mobo has?

Your cooling is a lot better then stock Intel cooling for one, and at idle, the temp should remain almost unchanged, as it should throttle back on, unless you have set it to be at constant peak performance.

The main reason we are getting limited on the GPU front, is due to RMA. We want cheaper cards, and that means cutting cost, but cutting cost, you cut on quality, by cutting quality, your cutting away at the headroom for over performance, and running a stock performance closer to the cliff. By doing that, and allowing OC, a card will die within the warranty period, and this means manufacturer has to replace it out of own pocket, which is a loss.

By limiting OC, they wont near as many returns.

Now, i know your going to be thinking and wanting to say, but if quality has dropped, and prices of production set down, why are the cards still ever so expensive. Simple, the people that have to work to make a new GPU every year need to get paid too.

Well this is what my logical sense is telling me, and what i have gathered from reading around.

Perhaps they bielieve that the quality is worth it? I certainly do. 690s and Titans look like you could throw them at the wall and they'd be fine, AMD cards not so much.

Bielieve? You must mean believe, and not Justin Bieber crap!

Apart from that, i must disagree. Looks has nothing to do with it. I know as well as you know, that you have never tried to take apart an AMD card with reference cooler. The cooling structure is just fine, and just as solid as nvidia. The difference between AMD and nVidia, is not quality. Its price. nVidia just charge more. The over price then means they can pump more money into making even better GPU's. But it has nothing to do with quality, please understand this!

Your cooling is a lot better then stock Intel cooling for one, and at idle, the temp should remain almost unchanged, as it should throttle back on, unless you have set it to be at constant peak performance.

The main reason we are getting limited on the GPU front, is due to RMA. We want cheaper cards, and that means cutting cost, but cutting cost, you cut on quality, by cutting quality, your cutting away at the headroom for over performance, and running a stock performance closer to the cliff. By doing that, and allowing OC, a card will die within the warranty period, and this means manufacturer has to replace it out of own pocket, which is a loss.

By limiting OC, they wont near as many returns.

Now, i know your going to be thinking and wanting to say, but if quality has dropped, and prices of production set down, why are the cards still ever so expensive. Simple, the people that have to work to make a new GPU every year need to get paid too.

Well this is what my logical sense is telling me, and what i have gathered from reading around.

They are always at peak (3.5whatever GHZ) because turboboost and speedstep are disabled automatically as to not overclock the overclock, at least on this board.

But I get what you mean, they don't want people to bust their cards and be RMAing them, but if you simply make overclocking void your warranty... wouldn't that solve it? People that push them would merely be taking a risk with their own money.

Bielieve? You must mean believe, and not Justin Bieber crap!

Apart from that, i must disagree. Looks has nothing to do with it. I know as well as you know, that you have never tried to take apart an AMD card with reference cooler. The cooling structure is just fine, and just as solid as nvidia. The difference between AMD and nVidia, is not quality. Its price. nVidia just charge more. The over price then means they can pump more money into making even better GPU's. But it has nothing to do with quality, please understand this!

Well, if you merely compare our two lovely forums here...

AMD - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85

and Nvidia - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86

I see two complainings about dead/dying AMD cards, (both 7950s) and none to note about nVidia...

And the irony here kills me - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728850

Clearly, the quality is lacking.

You buy a cheap crappy $100 particle board Walmart desk (like the one my parents bought me that I'm using right now) and when you set 75lbs of computer on it it creaks and moans, and will likely only last a couple of years.

However, buy a much more expensive fully Mahogany desk...

It could become an antique, and be worth much more than the original price...

T
But I get what you mean, they don't want people to bust their cards and be RMAing them, but if you simply make overclocking void your warranty... wouldn't that solve it? People that push them would merely be taking a risk with their own money.

Well, if you merely compare our two lovely forums here...

AMD - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85

and Nvidia - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86

I see two complainings about dead/dying AMD cards, (both 7950s) and none to note about nVidia...

And the irony here kills me - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728850

Clearly, the quality is lacking.

They could, but they will have a hard time proving that it dieed under OC.

If you took the time to read about the dead/ding 7950,s you would know that those cards are used for mining Bitcoin, which btw nvidia cards are USELESS at. Mining bitcoing puts the cards at 100% stress 24/7. If you did the same with nvidia cards, you would see a couple fail too.

The irony, is that my 7970s turned to be 100% fine, its a motherboard issue. So pipe down :thup:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732146

That one was Bitcoining? How do you know? Do you have a crystal ball? Lol

And this one?

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732302

Lol x2

I doubt bitcoining would stress quality cards enough for them to emit white nonsense =P Bah, internet get rich quick schemes.

I know you are by far the biggest nvidia fanboy OC.com has even seen.. Now i cant finish this sentence because i am on thin ice for arguing with you in the first place, but you hold a certain place in my heart.

You may be right, that AMD cards fail, but nVidia cards fail too.
Simple because im sick of getting warned from arguing with you, im going to drop it from here on. But just because your a teen with no job, it doesnt make you all knowing.

EDIT:
Oh and im happy i got that quoted before you changed it :thup:

AMD cards does things like bitcoin mining better than GTX. Cause GTX is designed that way to excel in other things. (or maybe even purposefully nerfed) However, if you use the same chip technology, and put in a Tesla card, then the AMD card cannot even COMPETE at that level.

the largest super computer in the world, the Titan, employs Tesla cards, hundreds and thousands of them to do calculation at incredible speed.

Imagining using THAT computer for bitcoin mining. stupid and waste of resources, yes, but imagine the success it gives. lol.

AMD GPUs are more generalized in that fashion, but being generalized is also another way of saying it is not specific enough, these are the exact worlds both companies calls the other. Nvidia says AMD not specific enough, and AMD says otherwise. AMD does have calculation only cards too, but as far as I know, nvidia is a Mile ahead in that tech.

I remember the 8800 was at some point able to get a firmware flash.. and work like a tesla, I am not sure does modern GTX cards still have this capacity locked within.

Last edited:
If nvidia are worse at bitcoin mining, then no matter how many nvidia cores you throw at it, a similar number of amd cores would do more.

Saying the worlds largest supercomputer uses nvidia so nvidia must be the best is like saying mcdonalds is the biggest food chain in the world so mcdonalds has the best food.

Edit: also, its laughable to say nvidia quality is greater than amd quality, there is a reason nvidia hard locked voltage on the 6 series cards, after how many 570s and 590s blew their vrms.

As far as a super computer goes, when it comes to huge orders like that, its not like some guy goes out and buys 500 tesla cards. They contact producers of chips, and ask them, for an offer on chips, and ask if they can make those chips work with the system they are running. You dont know the specifics on how those deals go down, only a select few people do, and when it comes that sorta stuff, its a hush hush business.

And as far as mining goes, AMDs firepro cards, suck at mining too, geforce cards suck at it, and tesla even more. This is a pointless and endless discussion.

This all boils down to a quality question, or should we say price range vs. quality vs performance.

We all know AMD are beating the life outta nVidia on Price Vs. Performance. As far as quality goes, only a select few people with the know how are able to tell us, the how the quality differs.

With that said, i would consider owning nVidia cards, if the price wasnt so high, and i have owned nvidia cards before. My last one was a GTX590, which had to be RMA'ed because it was broken, but we'll gloss over that to keep Culbrelai's pride intact.

Last edited:
Back