• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, the price for performance isn't great here looking back generationally. But I also believe everything has moved up the product stack a bit. TU102 in the 2080Ti is a full implementation, unlike the GPU in 1080Ti isn't a full implementation, the Titan XP is.

But yeah, we are paying for the tensor cores, rt cores, and bleeding edge technology without a ton of support at this time. They are still some seriously fast cards though.
So really a 2080TI is a Titan. That explains the price. What is the performance gain of the 2080TI compared to the pascal Titan? Is it favorable or is this why they are calling it a TI to make it look better?

People keep forgeting the RT and Tensor cores... They are leading eadge innovation.. Thats costs money.

People keep forgeting the RT and Tensor cores... They are leading eadge innovation.. Thats costs money.

And do absolutely nothing in their present iteration. The 20xx cards are going to fly or fail based on their regular gaming performance, which so far provides nothing new except for the 2080 Ti. Third party reviews are out, and unless you're gaming at 4k a 10xx series card has you covered.

I only care about results. I don't care how it is done just that it is done. Ray tracing and deep learning is promises promises right now.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

And do absolutely nothing in their present iteration. The 20xx cards are going to fly or fail based on their regular gaming performance, which so far provides nothing new except for the 2080 Ti. Third party reviews are out, and unless you're gaming at 4k a 10xx series card has you covered.

4K is still very achievable with either two GTX 1080 cards or two 1080TI cards in SLI. It's a tough sell if a person already has one of either as they can simply buy another of their respective model and possibly get better performance then a brand spanking new RTX card. I'm not impressed for the price.

I mean the 2080 has 8GB of RAM and is comparable to a 1080TI. Ray tracing will be worthless on it but the extra 3GB of RAM won't be worthless to the 1080TI. It seems like a horrible trade of features if either can be had for the same price.

Every new generation with any company takes R&D that just the cost of doing business to keep new products relevant, R&D cost is baked in every year with companies. Nvidia also sells to many different customers movie industry, Automotive are just some of the industry's and folks using deep learning and graphics. Nvidias profit is what the market will bear.

Last edited:
4K is still very achievable with either two GTX 1080 cards or two 1080TI cards in SLI. It's a tough sell if a person already has one of either as they can simply buy another of their respective model and possibly get better performance then a brand spanking new RTX card. I'm not impressed for the price.

I was just referring to single card performance, where the 2080 Ti is the only 20xx series card to offer an upgrade over the performance already available in the 10xx series.

I was just referring to single card performance, where the 2080 Ti is the only 20xx series card to offer an upgrade over the performance already available in the 10xx series.

Good point. That makes it a very tough prospect at a higher price. :D

You can get two 1080ti's for the price of one 2080ti (Or less) While its unwise to rely on sli/buy old technology, two 1080tis will absolutely dumpster dive one 2080ti in games which support SLI, which if a game needs it, it probably supports SLI. This round from nvidia is a hilarious cash grab and I can't wait for AMD to sock it to em... hopefully

You can get two 1080ti's for the price of one 2080ti (Or less) While its unwise to rely on sli/buy old technology, two 1080tis will absolutely dumpster dive one 2080ti in games which support SLI, which if a game needs it, it probably supports SLI. This round from nvidia is a hilarious cash grab and I can't wait for AMD to sock it to em... hopefully
Agreed

Based on our little corner of the consumer response world, this has certainly been a mixed bag release. If someone is in the market for a new card the 20xx cards work. But unless you're gaming at 4k, and can afford the scratch for the Ti, the 20xx seem like a hard sell. My 1070 is still sufficient for 1080p @60 Hz, and a 1080 Ti will cover everything else easily, and if you spent all your upgrade money on a 4k display, your 1080 Ti will still keep you gaming happily.

People will buy them, though. A lot of people will buy them because they look cool in their forum sigs. LOL

Don't forget (but don't hold your breath for) DLSS support in games. ;)

When Vulkan came out, it was the battle cry of patience and longetivity in the card vs the competition. But here future tech gets nary a mention.

SLI/CFx would ALWAYS trump the top card in the past. That is nothing new. It is whether or not users want to deal with the many pitfalls (no scaling, mediocre scaling, 2x power/heat, more noise of a configuration that has been losing a lot of favor from the top down over the years. Some NEED that, we get it, but it's so few these days who themselves in such a bbn position.

That said it's a tough sell regardless at these prices. I'd sooner hold my breath for DLSS market saturation then AMD to come out with something remotely competative performance wise. I'm sure they will come out with something new in 2019 that will not compete with a 2080, but will be priced at a place nvidia has missed.

Here is a repost from another forum that I frequent that I think sums up my thoughts on the 2xxx series:

4K performance (via techpowerup):
780 Ti --> 980 Ti = 30% Improvement
980 Ti --> 1080 Ti = 46% Improvement
1080 Ti --> 2080 Ti = 28% Improvement
Prices:
780 Ti $699
980 Ti $649
1080 Ti $699
2080 Ti "$999"

I had planned on purchasing a 2080ti until I saw the pricing. Lots of reports out there about DLSS making things blurry so I'm not sure if that will be the saving grace of the card or not. Time will tell I suppose.

Last edited:
Sorry I was lazy and didn't verify the posting, but you are correct it's 46%. Techpowerup also lists the 2080ti as only having a 28% improvement over the 1080ti in 4k.
Also the $999 MRSP is a pipe dream, I haven't seen a 2080ti listed for less than $1169.
Even if it was $999 it's still the smallest increase in performance for the largest increase in MRSP.
Sadly this lack of competition means the customer gets the short end of the stick.

im curious about the blurry dlss. if this is just in performance enhancement mode it may not be a big deal for people that just want to frag faster in a competition. having ultimate image quality in 4k while still at 60+ fps also sounds cool. on the other hand you have to wonder where you'd end up performance wise if all the tensor cores and rt cores were replaced with more cuda cores instead.

All valid points. Here's to hoping RT and Tensor cores bring the performance and experience.

Honestly the ONLY thing I am not happy with are the price points. They are definitely too high, especially on the high end.

im curious about the blurry dlss. if this is just in performance enhancement mode it may not be a big deal for people that just want to frag faster in a competition. having ultimate image quality in 4k while still at 60+ fps also sounds cool. on the other hand you have to wonder where you'd end up performance wise if all the tensor cores and rt cores were replaced with more cuda cores instead.
This is true and while I’m critical of the cards price to performance and the key features of this card needing to get 3rd party compmie to give nVidia access to their code. I think nVidia would have a easier time providing the features as plugins that the 3rd parties can bolt onto their code.

Maybe this could end up being a game changer and maybe this is a enormous belly flop. Time will tell.

Back