• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great review, super disappointed by the results, but oh well. Looks like I'll be waiting a while before upgrading.

The review was great, the cards not so much. The 2080 Ti looks to be the only one with a legitimate (?) claim for its price tag. As long as I don't run out and spend money I don't have on a higher resolution display I'm still set for a while. I would exclaim "Whew, that was close!" but it wasn't, really. LOL

I'm looking more towards the RTX 2070 review.

Yup.

Yeah the 2070 review will sell me on either 2070, 1080 or 1080ti depending on price.

According to a few tech journalists, the 2060 and below won't have RTX features. This makes sense as the RTX portion is a huge part of the die. As the gaming portion gets smaller, it makes less and less economical sense to include the RTX portion. In other words, because of the size of the RTX portion, the 2060 die wouldn't be that much smaller than a 2070 die and Nvidia wouldn't want to drop the price down to mid range levels for such a big die. The 2070 is actually already the mid range die (TU107) though this die is a bit beefier in the product stack compared to Pascal (GP107 a.k.a. GTX 1060).

There's also rumors that 2060 and below will be rebadged 1070 and below GPUs, but again, that's just rumors.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Yeah, I think Nvidia is done offering a consumer level Titan. Too many people in the research and professional fields were skipping Quadros and buying them instead (hypothesis based upon Nvidia's EULA changes and Titan price and branding changes). Unless a miracle happens and Navi wows the world before Nvidia is ready with 7nm, I don't think we'll see a Turing Titan, at least not one that isn't positioned like Titan V as more of a "light professional" card.

EULA changes? What did they do, say you can't content create with a consumer GPU without royalties or something XD

But its interesting if the Titan line is discontinued. I wonder if the Titan XPP will be worth anything in the future, in the same way the Voodoo 5 series is worth a lot.

Overall cool review, although I didn't see anything about testing the ray tracing capability? Or am I just blind? Glad I bought a 1080ti when I did. Prices are already going up on them lmao

Last edited:
You also have to consider those increases are more when comparing like cards (FE to FE). Unfortunately, all cards we tested with were factory overclocked quite a bit, so those values would be higher.

Looking back on things, I wish we would have run them at the FE clocks... live and learn. :)

From what I have been seeing comparing the Pascal factory overclocked cards to Turing that will not have factory overclocking is a good comparison.:) EVGA has ULTRA GAMING that compares with FE.

Thanks for the great review!

My RTX 2080 should be here tuesday. The performance increase at 4k looks to be pretty damn good, going from a gtx1080 to a rtx2080.

Very nice review Joe. How many hours of testing went into this?

Behind the scenes I'm envisioning a train load of gaming developers out there who've had access to the RT part of the RTX getting wink-eyed re-writing code to be in the hunt for their share of the market that this is going to bloom. And the monitor engineers. And the VR folks. It goes on and on and on.

A typical review can get done in about a week. A major release like this with all the information and such is typically more. I probably had 40+ hours into it or more through the weekend. I think the cards got here early Thursday... no drivers until a day or so after that. There were struggles getting things downloaded (benchmark with DLSS an updated version of FF XV, has still never happened). It wasn't smooth on that front. ;)

EDIT: And before I forget, Johan helped out behind the scenes benching the 1080ti and 1070ti as well as editing. Additionally, MattNo, Janus, and mdcomp all got in on the fun as well. It was a great team effort!!

Last edited:
Behind the scenes I'm envisioning a train load of gaming developers out there who've had access to the RT part of the RTX getting wink-eyed re-writing code to be in the hunt for their share of the market that this is going to bloom. And the monitor engineers. And the VR folks. It goes on and on and on.

Definitely a "glass half full" outlook. LOL

Overall it looks to me that you may as well buy a 1080ti/used 1080ti instead of a 2080.

2080ti is a beast, but is over double the cost of a 1080ti at this point.

If they had knocked the 2080 down as a 2070 and the 2080TI as the 2080 then they would have had a good value proposition. But this is what happens when they have no natural predator.

great review. very fair. i think the final line in the review summed it up perfectly. if you MUST have the best and use money for TP the 2080ti is for you. for everyone else, it depends on the rollout of dlss and how good it really is. if they're smart they'll do a 50/50 image quality/performance boost patch instead of one or the other. you can't judge them on current performance since that's not what you're paying for. those extra fancy cores are a big chunk of it. i hope they make good use of them asap.

Last edited:
What percentage of the performance increase is due to the GDDR6 High-Performance Memory and what tasks does having faster GDDR6 Memory improve. I know it greatly inproves the framerate the higher the resolution you go, are there other benefits.

Really looking forward to a DLSS comparison from here. Hothardware has one bench out on it and it looks promising, on the scale of 25% boost in performance. However they noted that they did not properly inspect the visual quality difference at a stop frame. Additionally, it is an overall score not an average.

Final Fantasy XV (DX12) - Overall Score TAA vs. DLSS
https://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-performance-and-overclocking?page=8

Really looking forward to a DLSS comparison from here. Hothardware has one bench out on it and it looks promising, on the scale of 25% boost in performance. However they noted that they did not properly inspect the visual quality difference at a stop frame. Additionally, it is an overall score not an average.

https://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-performance-and-overclocking?page=8

yeah, it's hard to look at a single benchmark that can be very easily boosted by the drivers completely ignoring the 'machine/deep learning' aspect of the super sampling.

Glad they could get it downloaded... I'll check the NV press site today and see if I can DL the DLSS version of FF XV and see.

Last edited:
This is what i was talking about on the "2080ti coming out" thread, even if there was no performance (IPC) gains on this gen the DLSS alone makes it worth it if they can get it to work properly with all games/software. MSAA/SMAA/TSAA with next to zero performance hit is a MAJOR breakthrough, especially when you can supersample 4K on a 1080p monitor for lovely no-jaggie gameplay :thup:

Lots of ifs and maybes in this launch.

Seems like a very hefty early adopter penalty. I would guess that next gen is when we will be seeing real world wide spread utilization of these technologies.

Great review ED......

Back