• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best socket 478 proc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I admit, I don't have any experience overclocking these s478 chips. I had an AMD64 during that era. I'm just using this rig while I wait for my x1900XTX to return from RMA. If someone could help me out with some settings for this 3.0E that would be super. I've got a set of OCZ Enhanced Bandwidth DDR433 modules that soar with voltage so I wont be held back there. How much voltage is okay to give this 3.0E? And at what temps should I start backing off? At 3.3Ghz load temps were around 50C.

with my 3.0e and a artic freezer 4 with an extra fan added, i sit around 39c idle and 56c full load. i give it 1.45 volts.

i had to back it off to 258 fsb.. i can get stable at 261 but i need to up the vcore to like 1.5 and it starts gettin pretty hot. good luck these are fun chips to play with.

the thermal spec for these is 65c.. ive had mine up to 68c with 268 fsb and 1.58 vcore, but it soon failed orthos about 10 mins in. keep it under 60c full load and youll be fine. my 3.0e craps out around 62-64c

I'll give overclocking this 3.0E another try tomorrow when I get out of school then. Hopefully I can get more out of it this time around. Thanks.

my old rig was a ic7-max 3 and i oc'd a 3.0c to 3.5 rock solid for a year with a xp-90. i put heatsinks all over the place on the board though. the best thing you can do is get a 3.4e with the multi unlocked. play around with that puppy. the board has great potential.

i have my 3.0E in a MSI 865pe neo2-v. its overclocked to 3.75 stable on stock voltage(fluctuating 1.280-1.305v).. i am watercooled tho.

this prescott is much more cooler than the 2.8 northwood i had. i had the 2.8 at 3.15 using 1.65v. it did the sudden death thing after 4 years.

i got the 3.0E cpu Prime 95 stable at 258FSB on stock voltage but my mobo/memory couldnt handle it when i put 1:1 mem ratio.

i got some crucial ballistix pc4000(ddr500) in my system with 2.5-4-4-8 @ 250FSB, 1:1 mem ratio. its perfectly stable at this setting and im really happy. i jus wish there was better memory out there.
i think i would get a better OC with a better mobo, this msi board is horrible, no adjustability. the memory timings are defaulted to 2.5-4-4-8 in windows eventhough i set the BIOS to 2.5-3-3-7. the vcore adjustment is weird. it doesnt kno its a prescott, it reads the stock voltage (1.315v) but once u adjust it, it starts from 1.475v and up. nothing lower except stock(1.315v). weird...

so yea, the 3.0e is a great chip, i got mines from newegg 4 months ago... 3.0 -> 3.75 on stock voltage...

Last edited:
I was just able to hit 4250mhz (17*250) with my 3.4E Prescott
Ram divider = 5:4
55c idel, 70c load
Big Typhoon saves the day.

just never try to remove the Heatspreader on them! did it once and first i thought everything went well but then i found out that they put some hardcore stuff on it you can´t remove. i had verry bad temp´s after that so i tried everything to remove the stuff on it and broke the die:(

Back