• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD4850 previewed against 9800GTX & GT200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That looks great. It's almost as fast as the GTX 260, but for half the price, can't wait to see what the extra bandwidth of GDDR5 brings.

I speak fluent French so if anyone want a good translation of a part of the article, just ask.

<3 ATi, time to upgrade from my 9800pro! Definatly sold on a 4850 or 4870. I'm hands down buying one, and building a rig for it because i'm so happy!:santa2:

Very nice, competitive with the 9800GTX and it looks like AMD has solved the AA performance hit that plagued the HD2000 and HD3000 cards. I'm surprised the idle power draw was somewhat close but load is notably lower which is nice. Dang, now what do I do with my 8800GTS ><

Sounds like that's my next card.

Performance of a 9800GTX for around $200. Yes please.

My only concern is how well the 4870 will do. The truth is, it's just an overclocked 4850 with possibly better yields on the die and GDDR5 memory.

But as we saw from the 1950XTX compared to an overclocked 1950XT, better memory doesn't always translate to "better" performance.

Anyway, a card almost as fast as the GTX260 for half the price will certainly put Nvidia on its toes and possibly force them to bring prices down, a'la 8800GTS when the 3850 came out.

Absolutely incredible. I didn't have any idea that this card would be able to perform so well at 1920x1200. If it's doing so well with GDDR3, then I can only imagine how much better the 4870 will do with its much faster GDDR5. The extra memory bandwidth should help out a ton at that resolution. I can't wait for benches.

Not sure if you guys looks at the other cards besides the HD4850;), what caught my eye is how good the HD3870X2 is doing against the 9800GX2, imagine what the 4870X2 will do:drool:

Sounds like that's my next card.

Performance of a 9800GTX for around $200. Yes please.

My only concern is how well the 4870 will do. The truth is, it's just an overclocked 4850 with possibly better yields on the die and GDDR5 memory.

But as we saw from the 1950XTX compared to an overclocked 1950XT, better memory doesn't always translate to "better" performance.

Anyway, a card almost as fast as the GTX260 for half the price will certainly put Nvidia on its toes and possibly force them to bring prices down, a'la 8800GTS when the 3850 came out.

We'll need memory oc testing to see. *looks at brollocks*

damn it i need the review in engrish!

It doesn't say nothing particularly interesting, aside the testing conditions. You always can use the Google translator, or if you want to know about something specific, WorshipMe says he speaks fluent french, and I by myself understand it more or less correctly (even if I can't speak it fluently :D), so simply ask ;)

Conditions of the test: they say they activate DX10, anisotropic filtering, and HDR always when available in the game. And they use transparency/adaptive AA in multisampling mode.

Some details: have you seen that from a total of 10 games tested (considering the AA score when available):

- In 3 (30%, Oblivion, GRID, Bioshock) the 4850 beats to the GTX 260
- In other 2 (20%, RS:V, WiC) the 4850 keeps within a 10% range from the GTX 260.
-Only in 2 of them (20%, QW:ET, CoH) the GTX 260 manages a performance difference greater than 25%.

Back