• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD not showing in BIOS, well sometimes to does and sometimes it doesn't

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lafindumondeNF

Registered
I'm baffled, any time i get the thing to work i have to leave the computer on or when i turn it back on it will just give me the "insert proper boot device" message and not show in the bios at all. I used to be able to pop the case open and switch the SATA plugs for the SSD and the 7200rpm and it would boot (annoying as hell) but now it won't at all. Tired swapping cables and everything. When it will boot the OS from the SSD it works fine as long as it doesn't get turned off.

i'm stumped...

asus maximus V formula
intel 3770K OC 4.6ghz
h100I water cooler
coolermaster HAF X case
16 GB of ram
BLACK 2tb HDD
Chronos 256GB SSD

When i plug the SSD into SATA 3G port 1 it tells me the CSM settings are wrong, changed the settings to auto and same story..

OS is WIN 7 ultimate 64bit

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the SandForce controller is dying.
Contact Mushkin for an RMA, they're VERY easy to deal with.

yeah i've only had the thing for a year

My suggestion, buy an 840 EVO 250GB and just sell the Chronos you get back from RMA.
I sent back my Chronos 120GB four times over the span of 2 years for the same issue you're seeing.

Great company, but the SandForce controller just sucks.

problem is, my OS is on the SSD, as well as everything i need to run my business...

Back it up to another drive or get another SSD there and clone the Chronos to the new SSD.

I recall something similar several years ago that was resolved by getting new SATA ribbons. The connectors weren't "firm" enough to maintain a good fit; guess after several uses there's some play in the tolerance.

i just swapped the ribbons, curious thing though, the connecter on the back of the SSD no longer snaps...

yeah i've tried everything, it's a lost cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
the best bet is to buy an external dock that will clone and try it a few times, when is does, make three or four clones.

if i could just get it to boot i could clone everything to my HDD and it would be all good, it won't boot at all now...

Back