• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mint 17 KDE and intel graphics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Ok, I'm running a live session of Mint 17 KDE release candidate and wfter I chose to boot to Mint 17, all I got was blank video, even though I could see that mint was loading from the dvd (activity light), and when it finished (I assumed because the activity light went out) I still had no desktop, so I started it in compatibility mode, and I'm now typing this question from the live session.

My question is two fold....

1: should I go ahead and install the RC and hope it gets straightened out with the final, or

2: should I report the bug and how do I report it? Actualy, I should report it anyway but how and to whom?

Oh yea, almost forgot.. the system is an Asrock H61M-VG3 with an Intel G2030 @3.0 using Intel graphics I think version HD3000? (I think it is like an I3? with dual core and onboard graphics and the board has 2048mb ddr3 1600.

BTW, one thing I like already is that Mint 17 KDE comes with FireFox 28 instead of 29 which a lot of people including me hate

Thanks in advance,
Doc

If you have nothing on the disk to lose, it won't hurt to do the install.

Before you report the issue, you will need to find the problem. Once the live CD boots, can you drop to a terminal with CTRL+ALT+F# (# being 1-7)? If you can, check logs (usually /var/log unless they decided to move them again) to see why it is failing to start. The issue may be as simple as loading a module or downloading updates.

Well, I installed Mint 17 KDE64 RC, and I now have a shiny new command line :(
No desktop..it keeps trying to load, but will not start saying "the display server has shut down 6 times in the last 90 seconds. It is likely that something bad is going on" and with the click of an ok button, I'm looking again at what looks like DOS...just a black screen and the command line..Well, at least I have that. now if only I knew how to use it
Can somebody tell me how to start in compatibility mode, as it doesn't give me that option in the boot loader.

Thanks for any suggestions you might give,
Doc

If it drops you to a login screen, log in normally. Once you get to the command line, or if it doesn't ask for login info:

Use dmesg along with tail to get the last few lines of it starting up:
Code:
sudo tail -n 20 dmesg
Look for errors in this output.

Thought you deserved an update...I went ahead and re-installed Mint 16..at least it sort of works.
Thanks for the help...by the time I saw your post, I had already re-did mint 16. I reckon I will stick with it till I get a discreet video card...I mean 16 fps while just XBMC running is ridiculous, and from what I read and seen in benchmarks, I can't expect much more than that even with optomized drivers.
Thanks again,
Doc

I am really supprised that you are having issues with Intel graphics (not the performance but the actual log etc)

Which Intel video card is it?

Not a video card actually, which is part of the problem it is the gpu built into the dual core Intel chip that I have...G2030 @3.0ghz from what I can find, it has the hd 2500 graphics gpu. But I found a cheap Nvidia card (7300GT). It only has 512mb ddr2, but i can live with the price $27.00 U.S. and if it will give me adequate framerates all the better ATM, I can fire up XBMC and it will show 15fps max.

Also, I am using a 19" Sansui HD TV as a monitor through the VGA port, so that could be part of the issues that I'm having. I have it set to wide, (in PC mode) so maybe I should try it in (native) mode and see if it helps.

I don't know if I mentioned it here, but I had also tried Kubuntu, Fedora 20 and a few others,all 64 bit flavors and had the same issues, so it's not just Mint or KDE giving me fits but something else.
Hopefully it will be cleared up with the addition of the discrete video card as opposed to onboard.
I'm not giving up on Linux though...I think it is worth the persistence that I will give it.

I think I have a new motto "I see penguins...all the time"

Thanks again everybody, This forum is still the best place to learn what we need to know. :attn:

Why are you running 64bit with 2GB of RAM? I'd go with 32bit and see if the video bits work correctly then.

Well, I installed Mint 17 KDE64 RC, and I now have a shiny new command line :(
No desktop..it keeps trying to load, but will not start saying "the display server has shut down 6 times in the last 90 seconds. It is likely that something bad is going on" and with the click of an ok button, I'm looking again at what looks like DOS...just a black screen and the command line..Well, at least I have that. now if only I knew how to use it
Can somebody tell me how to start in compatibility mode, as it doesn't give me that option in the boot loader.

Thanks for any suggestions you might give,
Doc

Looks like a warning sign that the graphics hardware is too new. Must wait for a later distro for the new Intel graphics.

Not really sure it is all that new.. I mean it is Ivy Bridge after all..that is what 2-3 generations ago?
At any rate, the 7300gt that I was looking at was sold, so I ordered an 8600GT..should be here tomorrow or monday. The 8600GT is what my wintel box has and I'm happy with the framerates for the gamse I (currently) play.
Actually, I really don't care that much about framerates..I just want smooth video games.
One I still play a lot is Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, and I cannot count how many times I have played through HL2 and started again.

I hope I can get Flight Simulator X to run in Wine..that will be my next cross to bear.

Thanks, just went there, did that, and while trying to launch HL2 in steam I got opengl errors saying I need s3tc, so I'm now downloading all 5 low end master files from unrealtexture.com...not sure if I need all of em but hey, I got broadband, so wtf.

This is all probably wasted downloading and configuring because I'm waiting for a video card to arrive and will need additional drivers instead of the intel graphics stack, but I'm learning a lot about how to find out what I have...I know that under the hood of my OS is Debian wheezy/sid and the kernel is 3.11.0-12-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP, and I just learned by accident that while in the terminal that you can use the mouse scroll wheel to cycle through the last few commands and that is really cool.

While I may want to drop kik this box to the moon now and then, I am having a lot of fun learning this new system of thinking.
Like in the movie Firefox where one of the tech's says "you must think in Russian". Well, I get the notion that with Linux you must forget about winders and realize that "you must think in Linux"

It's hard to forget all those bad (windows) habits

The site I'm getting the master files is pretty vague on what files I need, so if anybody can chime in, I would be grateful.
Cheers, Doc

Edit: I forgot to add that once the video card arrives, I will probably nuke the hdd and install LM17 KDE..but I'm not so sure about using a 64 bit OS as I only have 2gb of ram for the time being, so I'm thinking about running 32bit for compatibility reasons. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
...errors saying I need s3tc, so I'm now downloading all 5 low end master files from unrealtexture.com

Dont think this is the right way to approach things. You probably can install S3TC deps from the repository... Just need to figure out what package they live in. Generally speaking, its very very very rare that you should go and download actual files from the internet whne running linux. Drivers are about the only exception and even those are rare

Like in the movie Firefox where one of the tech's says "you must think in Russian". Well, I get the notion that with Linux you must forget about winders and realize that "you must think in Linux"

QFT! See comment above

EDIT: linux.com answers the s3tc question

Ok, in the 1st answer it shows the following:

sudo apt-get install libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0
[ "$(uname -m)" = "x86_64" ] && sudo apt-get install libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0:i386

Do I include both complete sentences above? inclucing the brackets?

Oh and BTW, thanks for being patient with me and my many questions.

Last edited:
you can probably just do

Code:
sudo apt-get install libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0:i386

Dont forget to use code tags when posting stuff :beer:

As an FYI, you probably wont have that error with nVidia because its built into the driver if I recall. I have only ever had that error once on my integrated laptop, and since I am not still fighting it, I would guess it was fairly easy for me to overcome

Back