• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I got seamonkeys growing in my loop...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i hear anti freeze doesn't kill the algae, it only keeps them from growing. so thats out the window. I hear I can use pinesol/lysol in 50/50 and run it through my loop a couple times and it'll clean my tubes up real nice. i might try that but i'm still wondering whether or not i should get the NUKE.

Update: after researching this stuff on a number of forums i've found that a good way to get the grime out is by using detergents like pinesol/lysol/distilled h20. followed by lotsa water. and finally ur coolant of choice. Looks like i'll also b grabbing some nuke as it performs well in killing algae and can used alone w/ distilled water. Probably grab some uv dyes while i'm gettin' the nuke too :D RED AND BLUE COLORS TOO!

Last edited:
Why are you so against taking your loop apart to clean it out? You can run all of the chemicals and detergents through the tubes that you want, but no matter what you do your loop will never be "clean" again until you take your blocks apart. I had growth once many years ago when I was running with an open loop, and when I took my good old TDX apart and had to clean it out with a toothbrush. Your growth is WAY worse than mine so I can only imaging how gunked up your block is.

u know what fine i will open up my block, but just to prove u guys wrong. I really doubt there could b anything growing in my block because its in constant flow. the reason why the t-line is full of growth is because the water isn't cycled and is stationary. if there was anything alive that was being cycled, it could only b free floating algae and in that case they'd b floating around.

and by the way the detergent method is said to work well because it actually breaks down grime including the algae into little pieces so that u can get them out of the tubing. however in my case i doubt it'll do much since theyr'e in the t-line. but i'm going to try it anyway because there may b many free floating algae.

Last edited:
With growth like that, the only option is to disassemble the entire loop, including blocks, and clean everything thoroughly. Toss all the tubing as well.

How anyone could let their cooling loop get to that state is beyond me.

Sometimes, it is just a good thing to make sure. Then you have no worries. You can 100% for sure say it is A-ok. Not just say I am pretty sure. You don't have to prove to anyone that you believe the loop is ok. We just want you to get the best out of it.

As lazy as I am. I would take the time to redo the loop. Just so I know it was working 100%. Think of it like this. Please don't take this wrong...

If you made the mistake of letting it get like that. Are you making a mistake not doing what everyone else would be doing in this situation?

if i do take everything apart, do i have to throw away the tubing too? i don't have anymore masterkleer, and I don't wanna go and order more.

Trim the ends off like has been said up in the thread. (Post #5) :D You may lose a little length, but your for sure, going to have a clean loop. You should probally order some new tubing. Just to have some on hand. Even if you just do a trim job.

decided since i'm taking it apart, probably buy some blue uv dye, green was getting kinda old. and probably change every 6 months. hopefully it won't stain the tubing. still gonna go w/ nuke/distilled h20/dye though. that or nuke/h20/hydrx

bumsquad said:
decided since i'm taking it apart, probably buy some blue uv dye, green was getting kinda old. and probably change every 6 months. hopefully it won't stain the tubing. still gonna go w/ nuke/distilled h20/dye though. that or nuke/h20/hydrx

Why not just useclean tubeswith distilled water and a few drops of iodine? :)

You really need to take that all apart..

All the blocks
Get new tubing
It is next to imbossible to kill algae in tubing and if you dont get it this time youll be sorry

so please dont make the mistake ive seen others do and clean your loop!

EmAn said:
It is next to imbossible to kill algae in tubing

is this really true? I mean how could the common algae survive being in a copper sulfate environment. :confused:

alright took me the whole day i'm uber tired. sitting on a 5inch chair for like 4 hours draining and refilling and rearranging hardware and stuff like that and concocting a strong antialgae coolant. I sacrificed distilled water purity this time for definite algae protection. Only supposed to b 1 or 2 drops of nuke per liter, and I think i dropped like 8 drops into 1/2 a liter and like 15 or more drops of dye. Looks super nice though. BTW nothing was in the block.

Heres a pic!
img6878wt7.jpg

That has got to be the grossest algae growth I have ever seen.

I always run a few drops of povidone iodine and a drop of fish aquarium algaecide and never have had any growth. If that was my setup, I would have replaced all of the tubing and vinegar soaked everything out to make sure all is clear.

That PT nuke should keep this from happening again.

looks like you sorted it out pretty well....i think i mite bookmark this one just in case.

i dropped alex at petratech a email about using that much nuke. he said that 8 drops is overkill and turns the coolant very acidic. says it'll kill all fish and algae lol. next time better just use like 1 drop per half liter...

Lol you can be surprised on what can grow where. There is bacteria and algae that grows in the bottom of the sea near heated vents. If stuff can live there, it can live in a lil tube ^^

Back