• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something really weird is going on here!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PDL

Old PC bios shows today's date and time??

You may think this is crazy and I don't blame you. I thought it was an old 'Outer Limits' rerun at first!!

How is this possible?
The PC is an old HP Vectra with a Pentium 100 CPU.
Here are some facts.
The PC was partially disassembled and had been unused for possible years.
I got it 2 weeks ago from my brother and I was going to cut it down for a test setup.
It has not been touched except to take out the floppy drive.
The only things that I added were a floppy drive and a HDD that was formatted 3 weeks ago.
There was NO modem or network cards connected.
From my current system I connected the monitor and keyboard.
Other than the electrical cord to the power supply, there was no other connection to the world.

How in heaven's name did it pick up the correct day, month and year and also the correct time of day.
This was on the very first POST and I did not enter ANY information, only turned it on.
I'm not talking about getting it close here. I'm saying the date and time was exactly correct, even to the clock on the wall!

Has anyone ever experienced such a thing?
Could the system or the CPU have some means of gathering this information and from where?

This is by far the strangest thing I have seen a computer do. And needless to say it concerns me!!

Please help me figure this out!!

:eh?:

Good battery! Is it the coin type battery, or the one that's like 3 AAA's shrinkwrapped together?

My P1 75Mhz will post at correct date yet, but I'd put a new battery on the motherboard a couple of years ago because it quit holding the bios settings.

Coin type.

Are you kidding???

That battery could have kept the date that long and been that close to correct??

I actually hadn't thought of that possibility!

amazing....but it is the only logical thing that makes sense.

I think I'll put that battery in my K7S5A

Thanks, I feel better now:)

Back