• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dvd (+)(-) R

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fordman

Hello

The girlfriend bought some dvd+r and I was woundering how they played in ps2 and home dvd players. I use normally dvd-r and I have never had a problem.

Fordman

Most new DVD players/readers will read either +R or -R, a small portion will only read +R or -R. You'll basically have to try it out and it will either work or not work.

You will find that plus R's are hit and miss in home machines. Older DVD plyers will not play them but many newer ones will. I have two newer Toshiba DVD players that will play them without a problem. DVD+R's also burn faster.

Yep, DVD-Rs are more compatibile in almost everything, but DVD+Rs are slightly faster, and usually work only on newer DVD players.

DVD+R's should in theory work better than the -R's. Here is an article about changing the bitsetting to make your DVDs more compatible.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/150

In essence I ahve been told to use the +R's and make sure your bitsetting is changed to DVD-ROM as this will trick the DVD player into thinking it is a commercial DVD not a home-burned one.

I've always used +R's. There are a few players that won't play them and they are really old ones. I've had no problems with any players in the last 3-4 Years playing my disks.

This ranges between a wide group of people. Heck a cheap $30 portable player plays the disks.

I use strictly +r and +RW discs. I haven't had a player that they didnt work with yet. Even my 8yr old Sanyo DVD player. As mentioned above, get an assortment and see what works the best.

I see you have a LiteOn DVD burner, so you certainly know about bitsetting and its availability with LiteOn burners. So, doesn't matter you have +Rs. You just need to use the bitsetting tool and set the burn as DVD-Rom. This way, the burned disc will be read with no problems.

Also you bitsetting does not do much good with the -R disks. In the article I linked to above, it explains why. It is basically inteh way the make the disk. Par tof the disk becomes non-writable. This are is usually where the DVD player will look for the disk format information. With the +R disks this area is available.

Also if you want to burn your DVDs at the fastest speeds get +R disks.

One thing I forgot to tell: Bitsetting only works with +R discs. So, enjoy the pack your girlfriend gave to you :)

Back