• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Charging a laptop in the car.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

This weekend i am going on a long road trip. My GF has a lot of homework and needs to use her laptop while we drive. The battery on it has seen better days, and she refuses to use my laptop.

I need an inverter/converter that takes 12v to 220v (europe)

How many watts to i need to charge a laptop?
300watt?
600watt?
1000watt?
2000watt?

I would imagine the 300W is plenty considering the less than 100W draw.. I dont recall what we had, its was a cheapo thing though ($40?), and did just fine with my wife's full size lappy...

Ty sir! I was hoping it would be a cheapo! Cheapo it is :)

Do they drain a battery (car) fast? or can i leave the 220v converter on while car is off of 30mins?

Not sure on that. We had it running when we were driving. I personally wouldnt let it run too long with the car off, but that is just my opinion with no scientific merit behind it.

Thats the feelings i always have. Cant have the bat dieing since a BMW cruise haha..

But i talked her into using my lappy in case, holds power for at least 3 hours working in word.

Don't know if you have a Walmart there, but I picked up a 90watt power inverter that I use regularly to charge a laptop, mobile phone, or run an air pump. About $19 US at the time (5 years ago) and have seen more powerful ones since then for less $. It doesn't have to be extravagant. Peak usage loads vs. charging loads are much different and for charging only you won't need much wattage.

I know you mentioned that she is going to be using your laptop but if you want to know what sort of wattage a laptop's charger will require by just looking on it. Most laptops won't take much over 100, if that. My laptop that I am using right now is a 65 watt. Some faster charging are 100+ watts.

Im looking at getting a 300watt, so in any case i should be okay, shes going to be writing in word.

Thanks for the answers. My lappy is Asus K53E, havnet looked at volts, and dont ahve time before i buy the converter.

The laptop charger should tell you how much power it consumes. You do not need more than the laptop charger will use. A higher capacity inverter will not make the laptop charge faster.

Im looking at getting a 300watt, so in any case i should be okay, shes going to be writing in word.

Thanks for the answers. My lappy is Asus K53E, havnet looked at volts, and dont ahve time before i buy the converter.

Like others have said check your AC adapter, my 1st gen i7 used a 150w adapter and then is one of the larger ones I've seen. Chances are a 100w adapter will work...that's what I use just a cheap 100w one.

Like others have said check your AC adapter, my 1st gen i7 used a 150w adapter and then is one of the larger ones I've seen. Chances are a 100w adapter will work...that's what I use just a cheap 100w one.

The cheapest the shop had was a 300w, and i bought it, worked just fine, apart from not working for what i needed it to work for, but thats not the fault of the converter.

Back