• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ordered the Pixel 5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
Finally may be upgrading my Pixel 2 XL. (Which is by far the phone that does everything I want)

I am still waiting for a fitbit that integrates well with Google fit, or a combo fitness/Golf GPS watch. So I have to carry the P2 in my pocket and look forward to the smaller lighter but same size screen.

Tried the 4a and it ended up collecting dust, just gave it to my wife and ordered the 5...Not that I really need a new phone that bad, but at 0% I will use it for a year before I pay for it.

With the 4a did not want to give up the water resistance and I couldn't tell a difference in my pics. The 5 has pretty much what my P2 XL has in a smaller size. I choose Pixel's because they get security updates faster than any other phone.

Also stopped using ios around 2011 , still bought then for my daughter but eventually I couldn't stand getting them replaced at the Apple store. 5 times they said they would have it fixed in an hour and 5 times it took more than a day (Under Warranty). (90 minute round trip drive) Bulging Batteries, Software updates that hurt the battery, failed home buttons etc. Also never got over that they almost bricked my 3g with a software update. The worst software I ever used was itunes.

Love the Google eco system, I must have owned 20 Android phones never had a failure. In fact my Pixel 2 XL still works great. I charge my phones when I use my car so I never have cared about battery life.

Anyone else order the sage Pixel 5? If you have a a 3 or newer its not much of an upgrade.

I have a 4XL and really like the phone. I turned off the gimmicky Soli stuff (outside of faster wake up). The face unlock works really well... except for when I'm wearing a mask. On the other side if I have gloves on the fingerprint didn't work. Would have liked to have both choices and it would have been great.

The only major negative I've heard for the Pixel5 is the speakers can be mediocre as they are behind the glass? Some folks said that talking to people on their phone or playing music was pretty muffled.

I have a 4XL and really like the phone. I turned off the gimmicky Soli stuff (outside of faster wake up). The face unlock works really well... except for when I'm wearing a mask. On the other side if I have gloves on the fingerprint didn't work. Would have liked to have both choices and it would have been great.

The only major negative I've heard for the Pixel5 is the speakers can be mediocre as they are behind the glass? Some folks said that talking to people on their phone or playing music was pretty muffled.
Yeah I was glad they went back to fingerprint unlock. Also read that about the speakers, as opposed to the 4a which is plenty loud. I'll compare it the P2 XL which is also plenty loud.

Yeah I was glad they went back to fingerprint unlock. Also read that about the speakers, as opposed to the 4a which is plenty loud. I'll compare it the P2 XL which is also plenty loud.

What's frustrating to me is the fact that you HAVE to use a screen lock... otherwise the thing just comes on in your pocket and every possible button i pressed.

That said... the speakers on the 4a positively KICK ***. Plus it still has a stereo jack so you can also connect it ti real speakers AND charge it at the same time.

@dfonda it sounds like you don;t really need a new phone at all. You just git the 4a and didn't use it... I doubt you'll use the 5. Probably would've been better to wait fir a 5xl. Or... if you're still happy with the 2xl... just keep that.

@dfonda it sounds like you don;t really need a new phone at all. You just git the 4a and didn't use it... I doubt you'll use the 5. Probably would've been better to wait fir a 5xl. Or... if you're still happy with the 2xl... just keep that.
You are absolutely correct RL , I have switched to the 5 since its new...but after importing Nova launcher setup...There is virtually no difference in the phones with the exception of Battery life. The 90 Hrtz screen is useless in my opinion. The smaller size is nice...:eh?:

This isn't to say this is a not a great phone, its an Homage to how great the P2 XL is. After 3 years it still goes toe to toe. Its super fast because I always adjust the animation and duration settings. The 5 wasn't as fast until I did the same.

I am more excited about a new Cobra King SZ 3/4 wood arriving tomorrow then I am about this phone.:shrug:

Last edited:
This was nice...I called T-mo to see if I needed a new SIM to get 5G service as I thought I had it at my house. They were not sure and said come on in and we will try a new SIM and make some excuse not to charge me.

Coming home from a town 10 miles away noticed the 5G on my phone tested to out at 67 down 52.4 up as opposed to 17 and 31 with LTE at the same location. Hit 5g off and on coming home. Just had not noticed it before. Do not need it at home with Gb Wifi.

So its nice to save a trip as I avoid carrier stores like the plague altho T-mo's are not as bad as Att's were. My T-mo sim is 2 years old.

Back