• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm Done with Pixel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
Really it's the low megapixel count on the camera and the lack of a microSD card slot that's sealed the deal.

(Also all the liberties they take with photos you shoot... They're all automatically "enhanced" unless you shoot in RAW.)

And if you're really into photography... then wouldn't it be GREAT to have an SD card slot so you could stop running out of space?

This was my second (and last) Pixel phone.

Both of them did something wonky. (The 4a would randomly unlock itself and the 6a would randomly lose capacitive touch AND vibrate... Until a reboot.)

I've loved my pixels. I had a 3a, 5a, and now the 7 pro. I used to be into really getting RAWs and doing all my own stuff, now I just like a more point and shoot process.

I think plenty of phones have great cameras though, but for me the a series phones I had had really good cameras for the budget.

I hope you can find something that works for your needs.

Sometimes I think cell phones are like those Harry Potter wands that choose their owner. Pixels have always been nice to me but with iphones I had the exact problems you had with your Pixels and much more. I went through 3 versions before finally giving up and switching to Pixel. Other than the obnoxious finger print reader on the screen they have been great.

I had a Nexus 4 as an ancestor to Pixel, and a 3a. Both were great. And I got tempted away and regret it because how good the camera is on Pixels. I used to be big into photography. The photos I take on my phone are not the same as the ones I'd take with a SLR. I'm waiting for the next "a" phone release to switch to that.

On space, do you need to keep the originals on the phone forever? Every now and then I move them for long term storage and have the lower quality versions in cloud for general use.

I had a Nexus 4 as an ancestor to Pixel, and a 3a. Both were great. And I got tempted away and regret it because how good the camera is on Pixels. I used to be big into photography. The photos I take on my phone are not the same as the ones I'd take with a SLR. I'm waiting for the next "a" phone release to switch to that.

On space, do you need to keep the originals on the phone forever? Every now and then I move them for long term storage and have the lower quality versions in cloud for general use.

The way I operate, for my many websites and businesses, it would be more beneficial to me to be able to swap out sim cards then go digging through the photos on a laptop. Instagram, Facebook, my own websites... it's much faster and easier to edit and upload on the phone.

So copying them to the computer... then later, when I need them, finding them... then transferring them BACK to the phone, then uploading them, then deleting them... is just insane.

I don't know why they don't simply allow us a MicroSD card slot in 2024.

It'll take some experimenting to find a replacement for my 6a though...

I'm leaning towards the ones with Leica and Hasselblad optics like the Xiaomi 13/14 and (I forget which phone has the Hasselblad.)

Hell... I should be able to get a Xiaomi 12 pretty cheap by now.

The way I operate, for my many websites and businesses, it would be more beneficial to me to be able to swap out sim cards then go digging through the photos on a laptop. Instagram, Facebook, my own websites... it's much faster and easier to edit and upload on the phone.

Just get a phone with E-SIM, no?

I don't know why they don't simply allow us a MicroSD card slot in 2024.
You know why..

Pixel 5 is the only phone I can still use, everything else is too big for my Trump sized hands. First thing I do when I get a phone is wipe the stock OS and put on LineageOS so I can actually own my phone.

I dont really miss the SD slot because I have plenty of "cloud" space at home, as for the camera, its fine.

So copying them to the computer... then later, when I need them, finding them... then transferring them BACK to the phone, then uploading them, then deleting them... is just insane.
Fair enough you need something that fits with your workflow. For my uses, straight from phone photos are usually good enough if I want to use them on a phone app, and I use a cloud sync copy to download to PC if I need to edit it. I never had a need to re-import it to a phone.

Hell... I should be able to get a Xiaomi 12 pretty cheap by now.
My current phone is a Xiaomi Note 10 pro, which admittedly is a mid range offering not a high end. Still, I think it had the same camera module of the generation. 108MP without OIS is not a good experience in low light, where Pixels and iPhone do much better for example. If I know I will be taking many phone photos, I'd take my Pixel 3a as well (no SIM now) since it is much better all round.

When I bought a Samsung S21 3 years ago I thought I would miss not having a microSD slot. Now thinking back I don't miss it at all.

Why don't you buy a Pixel with 256GB storage? Wouldn't that be enough?

About the Pixel's camera...A phone's camera is good considering how compact it is. Most people love the quick and easy way they take pictures. If you want more control of taking pictures then buy a real camera.

BTW, a friend wanted something better than his phone's camera so he bought a Canon EOS Rebel T7. After he got it he couldn't figure out how to use it. In fact he will probably end up selling it.

I'm not a photographer so I don't have the same requirement(s).
I have been a "Google" guy since I got rid of my Razor flip phone. I've had the Nexus 3 then 5. I then went to Pixel 3 and presently rock a Pixel 5. I've busted a few and I always replace wth the same phone. I've had several Nexus 5's, Pixel 3's and I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th Pixel 5.

Since I buy my phones outright, I buy what I need then as it gets older, it becomes cheaper to replace with the same phone. I'll keep the same phone model until it no longer serves my needs then I upgrade. For daily use, I only make a few calls, order little ceasers pizza once in a great while and play solitaire if I'm away from home and bored. I don't even think my current phone works with 5G for some unknown reason. It just hasn't been an issue for me.

Now, when we travel somewhere new, and I'm using my phone for directions, Yelp! to find hole-in-the-wall places to eat (you can really get some good food that way.) and what not and my phone doesn't keep up, time for an upgrade.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not a photographer but I do take pictures and the Pixel 5 is still doing what I need.

I'm interested in what you end up with. I also wish that SD cards were manufactured in phones. I have a visceral objection to the bloat Samsung insists must be installed on their phones. My objection with Samsung in the begining is that it took them too long to patch the OS. That was "a" main reason I went with Nexus/Pixel. I don't know that this is an issue anymore. Samsung being as big as they are now.

Anyway, please update this thread as you look at what you'll end up getting.

Last edited:
I have a visceral objection to the bloat Samsung insists must be installed on their phones. My objection with Samsung in the begining is that it took them too long to patch the OS. That was "a" main reason I went with Nexus/Pixel. I don't know that htis is an issue anymore. Samsung being as big as they are now.
I had a Samsung S6 as a work phone for a time. It also had a great camera but I hated Samsung's OS and I said I'd never get another one. Now I'm the owner of a Tab S8, as the best Android tablet available at the time I bought it. Nothing else came close. For what its worth, it is on Security Update 1 Nov 2023, and Google Play system update 1 July 2023. I checked for updates on both earlier today. This model is one gen behind now and coming up to its 2nd birthday. At least they let you turn most of the extra stuff off now so I got it closer to stock Android. Would have bought the current Google tablet if it had been available, but it is excessive to have both.

Back on topic, the S6 I think was the best phone camera output I had seen at the time. It got replaced at work by an iPhone 8 Plus. Again, top tier camera. I didn't see that quality again until the Pixel 3a as a personal phone.

Now I'm the owner of a Tab S8, as the best Android tablet available at the time I bought it. Nothing else came close.
Oh boy. Now I'm going to show myself as a hypocrite. I forgot that I too have a Samsung tablet. I use it almost daily. I have the Galaxy S7 lite(?). Maybe it's the 7 lite and not S7 Lite but it's something 7 lite.

Honestly I reall like it. I watch Youtube on it a lot. It's starting to not like my DJI Go 4 software so I'll need to update it before flying season again but I've been really happy with it. Oh how could I have forgotten.

I think some of the samsung A phones have SD card slots. For me, my photos sync off the phone to google photos and thats all there is to it. If there is a compression I don't notice it for my purposes, 50mp ish is more than enough to take some losses. It might not be perfect, but good enough and easy is often preferable to perfect and complicated for me.

I am not sure if the hassleblad and leica monikers are any more than a label at this point. Maybe they make the lens, but so much of what makes a phone camera great is what happens after. You're still using a teeny weeny pancake lens and a minuscule sensor, so post-processing is inevitable for things to look good imho. I was really excited when they started putting big names like that on phone cameras, but from reviews I read, the results were less than impressive.

I agree with the size, but then I find myself enjoying the large screen. Everything is a trade-off.

I think some of the samsung A phones have SD card slots. For me, my photos sync off the phone to google photos and thats all there is to it. If there is a compression I don't notice it for my purposes, 50mp ish is more than enough to take some losses. It might not be perfect, but good enough and easy is often preferable to perfect and complicated for me.

I am not sure if the hassleblad and leica monikers are any more than a label at this point. Maybe they make the lens, but so much of what makes a phone camera great is what happens after. You're still using a teeny weeny pancake lens and a minuscule sensor, so post-processing is inevitable for things to look good imho. I was really excited when they started putting big names like that on phone cameras, but from reviews I read, the results were less than impressive.

I agree with the size, but then I find myself enjoying the large screen. Everything is a trade-off.

What Pixel has a 50mp camera?

I don't believe so. Mine is physical and virtual (7pro) I do believe

Some interesting takeaways in this Marquis Brownlee video:

1. I might have to stick with Pixel one more time... just so I can get a Pixel 7a with its 64 megapixel camera

Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 2.54.07 PM.png

Daytime

Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 2.53.29 PM.png

Nighttime

Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 2.52.56 PM.png

Portrait Mode

Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 2.56.49 PM.png

OVERALL

As Janus (or somebody) hinted: I'm surprised by how poorly the Xiaomi 13 Ultra performed given the camera that it has.

3. NONE of the phones in the top 10 have SD card slots.

This puts me in an odd position because you don't really have much choice when it comes to storage space on the PixelA series. You're basically stuck at 128GB... which is HARDLY adequate for a person like me in 2024. (It wasn't even adequate back in 2016 when I was still rocking the Motorola series... all of which had SD card slots.)

I could live without the SD card if there was... say... 1TB or 512GB of storage as I don't think I've ever used that much storage, on a phone, SD card or no, in my entire life.

So I guess the next-best thing would be the Pixel 8 Pro... which seems ALMOST as good as the 7a. (Just MUCH more expensive...)

DO YOU SEE MY PLIGHT?!?! :D

How is it possible in 2024 that someone still needs an SD slot?
Stick a 1 TB USB C drive in off load the photos and continue shooting.

But yeah I'm done with my Pixel Fold...Wish I had the Pixel 9 already. ;)

Last edited:
Back