• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad Flow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lukestrothman

So my temps have always been decent so I've never been curious but after watching more and more videos online, my reservoir seems to be quite IDLE in terms of flow. I'm getting idle temps of about 28c and load around 70c w/ 4770k @ 4.5

I'm just curious why it isn't churning the water more...

I uploaded a video here:

Thanks

Many reservoir setups dont show amount of flow, so typically isnt a good way to judge. I have dual pumps, my flow is 1.7gpm and my reservoir water churns less than yours, cant even tell pump is on, except very slight turning of water at top.

Given your temps are decent, it is unlikely you have bad flow, not to mention I see microbubbles moving around pretty good in your res.

Many reservoir setups dont show amount of flow, so typically isnt a good way to judge. I have dual pumps, my flow is 1.7gpm and my reservoir water churns less than yours, cant even tell pump is on, except very slight turning of water at top.

Given your temps are decent, it is unlikely you have bad flow, not to mention I see microbubbles moving around pretty good in your res.

All I needed to know, thanks man!

There should be a dial on the back of the pump if you want to make it faster. What speed do you have it setup now?

I have the 655-b (not the vari) model.

So it is one speed and is comparable to the 655 vari at full speed.

Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

I would think you would see some type of turbulence but with colored liquid its sometimes hard to see. You do see the microbubbles as stated before which is a good sign. My guess is since the in and out on the bottom of the res are next to each other, being at full pump speed, the liquid doesn't get a chance to move around since it gets instantly sucked back into the loop which could give you the illusion that no liquid is flowing.

I have the 655-b (not the vari) model.

So it is one speed and is comparable to the 655 vari at full speed.

The 655b is the same as a 655 vari at setting 4, not quite full speed. Not sure about that rad but the 655b can push ~2gpm through a raystorm.

The 655b is the same as a 655 vari at setting 4, not quite full speed. Not sure about that rad but the 655b can push ~2gpm through a raystorm.

Ah, good to know, it flows pretty good it just doesn't appear that way in the res. Doing a big change soon though :)

Don't assume it can. Loop size, tubing, rad and fittings. That's a big assumption and it's not right to do such assumptions.

Perhaps my fault as I wasn't entirely clear that I was ignoring the rad in that statement as well as any tubing and fittings beyond the pump to block connection. The only assumption is that there is enough quality control with regard to the pump and block construction that each unit is within a 10th or 2 psi in head pressure and restriction.
A 655b has enough head pressure to push 2+GPM through a raystorm alone with only the fittings required to connect the block to the pump and the pump to a water source using a non retarded length of tubing(lets say less than 10') of either 3/8", 7/16" or 1/2" ID tubing.

While lots of churning resembling whitewater rafting might look spectacular, the only thing it does is introduce air into the loop, call for seasickness and the need to pee :) Besides, "seeing lot of movement" is not the primary function of a reservoir.

So having "dead calm" water is actually a good thing; as long as your temps are good under load, its fine. If there wasn't enough flow, your system would cook.
Of course the only way to determine for sure if its "bad", "a bit low", "good" or "too much" flow would be to install a flowmeter in the loop...

Back