• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help choosing one of these monitors & I have a few Q's.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolf11

I need a monitor that has either one DVI and HDMI or two HDMI's inputs with speakers with 1080p

These are TN panels:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009513 (Acer S241HL)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236102 (ASUS VE248H)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313 (ASUS VG248QE)

This is a Dell IPS panel the only one I could find that it would work. It don't have speakers but at least it has audio line out, where the other three monitors above only have audio input ''in'' which is kinda dumb. With a audio line out input I can hook up a 2.0 PC speakers to the TV so sound from my PS3 will can be shared with the PC too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260174&cm_re=U2414H-_-24-260-174-_-Product (Dell U2414H)

I'm interested in the IPS Dell above but worried about the blacks and the 8ms, keep in mind I've been playing on my current samsung 32'' HDTV with a 8ms and I've not noticed any ghosting so I assume I'm not sensitive towards it. Question would a monitor with 8ms be worse or better than my 8ms on my TV know their both 8ms but because it's a different tech one might be more noticeable than the other. Is this a well made product not bought anything from Dell before. Will there be more backlit bleeding around the edges with this monitor ?

I'm interested in IPS panels monitors but for some reason 24''/1080p/Speaker/HDMI/DVI configuration greatly reduces the choices to just about 0, unless I choose a 1920-1200 res which I don't want to use. Only exception is I found the Dell one above.

My budget is around 300$ what I want is a really good monitor, can I get a one good one in that price range or lower ?

I know that ASUS VG248QE is a good monitor according to some but lets say for whatever reason I don't want my PC games running at 144Hz can I go into setting and set it to only 60Hz ? My TV in the living room has the option to refresh to 120Hz but I don't like the effect while watching TV so I turn it off and it stays off. Was wondering if this monitor can do the same thing. I only have GTX 660 alot of newer games there is no way I'll be able to run the games at a constant 144Hz or near it, but does that matter that I can't though ?

Also will my PS3 look worse or better on the a monitor compared when used on a TV due to scaling etc... ?

By the way if my video card has a display port and the monitor does too should I be using that connection ? I've never used it before and not sure are you guys using it if you can ?

Sorry I'm asking alot of questions, I just want to buy the right monitor the first time and be very impressed. thanks

Your tv and monitor, 2 different things as far as 120Hz. The 120Hz on tv screens I find to be a gimmick and a joke, and this coming from someone who has a 240Hz and a 120Hz screens. The VG248QE and similar monitors set to 120Hz don't do the software crap that tvs use. You can of course set the monitor to 60Hz, 120, etc.

IPS screen = color quality
TN screen = responsiveness

If you want an in-between look at a QNIX panel as they are PLS, basically offering IPS quality with overclockability.

As normal, use the DVI Dual Link cable and connection.

If you do pc gaming, I say stick to the PLS panel or VG248QE, you CAN go with a Dell as they will work and they look great. But for gaming, at least on fast fps titles, they suck. Keep in mind, your panel will only see 60Hz on a PS3, so it depends if you want the pc gaming aspect more.

Can I set VG248QE the at other refresh rates or only 60Hz and 144Hz. My video won't be able to keep up with that 144Hz. Can I set the refresh as at 72 or 85Hz ?

Back