• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X2 3800+ In Stock at Newegg $405

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Travis Dawes said:
This is a perfect example of supply and demand. if it proves to be overpriced, they will have to lower prices in order for it to sell. It sounds like to me your just mad that it isn't "cheap enough" for your tastes.

Meh....................... :rolleyes:

hawtrawkr said:
i tend to agree with this statement for the simple fact that it seems to me like neweggs catering to the "i have no patience whatsoever and want to be well informed on the status of this purchase with good service reps who want to work with me if i have any problems and to get the best products in the shortest amount of time on a regular and dependable basis and i dont mind paying a few dollars more" crowd. of course seeing them mark up thier 4400s to 90$ more than the other major online vendors is a bit over the top though. i see they lowered it back down to 699$ which is more reasonable but still too high even for the speed of service they provide.

I agree totally. I was shopping around for an SD 4000, at newegg it was 474.00 plus 2.99shipped (all usd). ZipZoomFly.com has it for $380 shipped with free second day air!!! Newegg used to be my only choice, they were always the cheapest, now their prices are starting to look like CirCuitCity and BestBuy prices, which is a load of crap! No wonder everything is still in stock at the egg, no ones wanting to buy from them anymore.

My XP-90 was 31 dollars at sidewinder, its 52 at newegg.

edit

Let me back my statement up with this:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80724-5

TekeTorvo said:
Sooo... I make a random comment, which is what these forums are for, and you "ASSUME" I am mad about something? Who are you to put words into someone else's mouth?

*edit* YGPM

If you are not mad/annoyed/upset/whatever, why do you care? And now you are inclined to indirectly defend your intial post. Do you have a problem with people disagreeing with you?

hawtrawkr said:
of course seeing them(newegg) mark up thier 4400s to 90$ more than the other major online vendors is a bit over the top though. i see they lowered it back down to 699$ which is more reasonable but still too high even for the speed of service they provide.

This is a perfect example of supply and demand. Price was too high, so they lowered it in order to sell it.

Another example is the Ford GT. It is supposed to have an MSRP of $150,000 dollars, but most dealers are charging $215,000-$225,000. That is a huge mark-up that only the dealer is making money on. But if there is people willing to pay for it, then that is what it will sell for.

TekeTorvo said:
but a roughly 25% mark-up is wrong.

And lastly to be nitpicky, 345---->405 is 17.5% markup.

I hope you don't find this post to be too offensive!

Travis Dawes said:
And lastly to be nitpicky, 345---->405 is 17.5% markup.

I hope you don't find this post to be too offensive!

:rolleyes: :temper:

Actually, I think we do. You sound like someone with stock in Newegg.

You've obviosuly not been around long enough to experience the old Newegg, in its heyday, with free shipping and very competitive prices. It was the outlaw store, and it gained a reputation of having great customer service and RMA policy, free shipping, and great prices.

That is not the Newegg of today.... so if you see alot of people bitching about their price-gouging ways... well, it'd probably be best if you just moved along and not post your economic theories, because no one is going to agree with you.

Newegg = Screwegg

When I bought my X2 4400+, Newegg was charging $729, so I bought mine at Mwave for $625. Shipped same day and they even called me to let me know that it had shipped and that I would be getting a tracking number in a couple of hours.

Newegg is now selling it for $699, yet Tankguys is selling the X2 4400+ for $598. Price gouging? Screwing their most loyal customers(ones who won't shop elsewhere). Newegg is the very last place I'll go. Too many other places that offer better prices and better service.

And yes, you can find the X2 3800+ cheaper at so many other places. You can walk into a Fry's and buy it for $379 or Mwave for $388.

Scroatdog said:
:rolleyes: :temper:

Actually, I think we do. You sound like someone with stock in Newegg.

You've obviosuly not been around long enough to experience the old Newegg, in its heyday, with free shipping and very competitive prices. It was the outlaw store, and it gained a reputation of having great customer service and RMA policy, free shipping, and great prices.

That is not the Newegg of today.... so if you see alot of people bitching about their price-gouging ways... well, it'd probably be best if you just moved along and not post your economic theories, because no one is going to agree with you.

Actually I have lurked on this forum for about 6 years and yes I remember when newegg was the best deal around. Remember when newegg went out of business for like a week and then came back alive? I don't remember why, I think somebody bought them out or sumthin.

Anyhoo there are people on both sides of this issue, read the thread.

Newegg now has a "presence" or a "name brand" and just like Levi quicksilver jeans as an example they now have the reputation to charge more.

You are paying for their reputation and prompt shipping. I am sure there are other websites without Neweggs reputation that are cheaper if all you want is the best deal, but most paople are willing to pay a premium in exchange for certain levels of known performance, As an example do you remember excaliberpc charging like $40 more for 1700+ DLTC cpus because you were guaranteed to get that coveted stepping about 18 months ago?

And lastly these are not economic theories, these are proven capatilistic principles!!!!!!!!!!!

LoL

Most stores I know can barely afford to pay their workers salary, and people get upset when they have a 17.5% markup? I guess you could consider that wrong, but I'm sure you buy something that has a 50% markup weakly (even though it probably is something cheaper).

This is how the market works. The "old Newegg" was probably the way they got sufficient marketshare and name to move to the current newegg, a company making decent profit. This is how the market works!

I'll bet you they are making more money like this then they where before, and 95% of their customers won't even feel ripped off.

dropadrop said:
LoL

Most stores I know can barely afford to pay their workers salary, and people get upset when they have a 17.5% markup? I guess you could consider that wrong, but I'm sure you buy something that has a 50% markup weakly (even though it probably is something cheaper).

This is how the market works. The "old Newegg" was probably the way they got sufficient marketshare and name to move to the current newegg, a company making decent profit. This is how the market works!

I'll bet you they are making more money like this then they where before, and 95% of their customers won't even feel ripped off.

I would do exactly what they are doing if it was my company, but from a consumer point of view, i hate it and they have lost a lot of my money. Still the best online seller in my opinion, and i order from them more than anyone. I just miss the old egg.

hi_its_ryan said:
how dare a business like newegg try to make money!

Newegg is well within their rites to make money, but price gouging because they can is wrong, and they are just scaring away their own customers. They do not practice competitive pricing any more. They became very popular, it got to their heads, now they will juice it till they are on the brink of going under, then will do a huge company overhaul, and will become the bargain bin of the internet.

Just look at all the people here that are no longer happy with newegg. I know they if any of them are like me, they will spend thousands on computer equipment over the next few years (not only for ourselves). Rather than keep competitive, and grow a loyal customer base, they are going for the quick buck. When I find a computer shop I like, I stick to it, even if there is someone selling the same thing for a few bucks cheeper. They treat me right, I will keep comming back.

newegg's prices have gotten higher, but theyve also grown A LOT.

and besides, you know, i know and they know...no matter the price you are still getting awesome customer service and fast processing guaranteed.

Where is this "price gouging is WRONG" comment stemming from? I'm sorry, but last time I checked, this was a market driven economy. You know, the one where people buy according to free market trends?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if its too expensive, you move on. You may lament the current pricing and marketing stance of any company as this is your right to do so... I just don't understand the WRONG comment.

If they are charging too much for a CPU, then the people of OC forums are going to go elsewhere. However, newegg has many many customers who do not know that the prices there are 17% higher than zipzoomfly's. They got these customers by building a reputation for customer service and quality. Its called name recognition. They are now selling to your joey joes.

Are they the new Best Buy of the online pc vendor world? Possibly. Is this the natural evolution from a mom and pop operation into the mainstream big business model? Absolutely.

So... lament away.

Microsoft, a long long time ago, was a little known, but well respected company that was the darling of the programming community...

The solution is easy don't buy from newegg! Business is about money if you don't like it go somewhere else!

Yea I was ****ed at newegg recently since I bought my PowerStream520 there for $141 shipped assuming it was the lowest price since I've been shopping there for years; and only to see monarch with the same psu for ~$110 AR. However newegg won me back with the $20 rebate on the OCZ platinum rev2s :)

SteveLord said:
newegg's prices have gotten higher, but theyve also grown A LOT.

and besides, you know, i know and they know...no matter the price you are still getting awesome customer service and fast processing guaranteed.

Okay, so you are STILL getting awesome customer service... so why cant they do that and still keep reasonable prices? The place I buy from is super cheep, and give me great customer service. I get eMail for every step of the way, order confirmation, recipt of payment, if the order is going to be delayed a bit, when it was shipped, tracking numbers... etc. And free shipping, all I pay is a $10 handeling fee. Thier posted order to received time is 1 week, I usually get it in 2-3 days, with no inflated prices.

Im sorry, I just see it as them abandoning the customers that made them big, so they can suck more money out of people who will pay whatever they are told cause they heard that newegg is cheep. Does that make you happy that Newegg is using its reputation created by customers like you and me to sell items at a heavy mark-up? That would be like your favourite convienance store, run by your friends grandpa changing to a 7-11 and charging $2 for a can of coke.

Living in California and thus getting hit with taxes doesn't help their case for me either. Checked zipzoomfly and they are in California too >.< Let's see where monarch is. . . . .

Sorin said:
Living in California and thus getting hit with taxes doesn't help their case for me either. Checked zipzoomfly and they are in California too >.< Let's see where monarch is. . . . .

Same situation here. Except Monarch is horrible (they're in GA iirc).

Back