• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What brands do you trust (for graphics cards)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Malpine Walis said:
Well, the immediate question was answered by what I picked up at compUSSR several hours ago. Considering that the old card was an Asus Nvidia GF2Ti (AGP 4X), anything at all was certain to be digital heroin. What I ended up with was an ATI Radeon 9550 for a hundred bucks. Hardly a performance monster but the current version of this box is intended to be the last gasp for socket A.

That much being said, I was aiming for a short list of trusted brands that could possibly become a sticky. You know how we all go to newegg/zipzoomfly/directron? Those are easy to find for several reasons. But what of brand names? If we have some discussion on the matter, perhaps down the road we can see a list of good suppliers to work with.

Malpo! WTH? Shop online mate or look in the classifides! Retail shopping is getting way too expensive. Just return that card to them, I'll help you pick out a better one for the same price.

Really. We actually feel the pain of that bad purchase decision. :(

As a general rule, we don't tend to part with $ before triple checking with the good folks here, in my case, every single time I wanted to buy something, someone here pointed to a better option than the one I initially had in mind.

Last edited:
It was not a bad move if you consider that I knew exactly what I was getting into by going there in the first place (you should see what they wanted for the X800, which was in a locked glass case to make it seems more special BTW). Yes, they rape your wallet but you can also consider the convienence factor in there as well, because sometimes it is worth a few buck to grab something locally.

Also, the exact same card over at newegg was only $5 less so I don't think that it was that bad of a deal.

Let's not get into how flawed that analogy is, I take it you needed it straight away and that's why you wanted to purchase locally, immediately. Correct?

I don't really trust brands by measure, although there are certain brands for certain products that I just refuse to buy or recommend. I generally shop per-model when it comes to most hardware. I haven't purchased NEW computer hardware from a retailer since 1998. For me there's nothing convenient about a paltry selection, poor customer service, or finding out later that you overpaid. If it's an emergency I'll install a super-crappy backup video card.

Last edited:
I feel the pain there too :p

Shoulda grabbed a 6600GT or soemthing for the same price, so much better performance.

Back