• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC games worth it now against PS4/xbox1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperMiguel

Super User
So before "we" "i" played games on PC because they looked way better than they did on my ps3/xbox360, but now with the new ones coming one whats the point of pc gaming? Dont tell me keyboard/mouse since thats just stupid (it takes more skill to play with a controller) Also i played PC games because of MMOs but now days there is nothing that worth it paying/playing for... Wow still probably king and it just to ****ing boring atm... Maybe EQ next will shake things a bit

Last edited:
Console companies just don't have the resources to compete with GPU makers.

Nvidia's Senior Vice President of Content and Technology, Tony Tamasi, recently talked with PC PowerPlay about the typical comparison between the PC platform and consoles. He revealed that, unlike generations in the past that were on par if not better than many performance PCs at launch, console makers no longer have the resources to jump ahead of the PC gaming hardware market. This became obvious during E3 back in June, as many demos showcased on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 just didn't look as good as the earlier PC versions.

Consoles will always be less capable than a PC because they have power budgets of only 200 watts or 300 watts – they're designed to run quietly and cool in the living room. On a PC, 250 watts can be used solely on the GPU, thus consoles will never beat a 1000 watt PC. In a chart provided by Nvidia, the trajectory shows that consoles will never equal or succeed the PC platform again, that the tiny window between 2005 and 2006 will likely be the last time these two industries will ever be on the same page.

OP The only reason a PC game will ever be on par with a console game will be because its a port and they didn't take advantage of a PC's hardware. PC's will always be capable of better Graphics.

The biggest lol of E3 for me was when they were demoing the new Assassins Creed and they were talking about how the bushes move when you brush up against them. My first thought was WTF?!? They did that 5 years ago with Crysis!

My point being is that cheap ports from consoles hold back PC's but consoles as noted will not be and are not able to compete with a good'ol PC.

So before "we" "i" games on PC because they looked way better than they did on my ps3/xbox360, but now with the new ones coming one whats the point of pc gaming? Dont tell me keyboard/mouse since thats just stupid (it takes more skill to play with a controller) Also i played PC games because of MMOs but now days there is nothing that worth it paying/playing for... Wow still probably king and it just to ****ing boring atm... Maybe EQ next will shake things a bit

I don't understand part of your first sentence: (So before "we" "i" games on PC)?

The PC versions will still look better than the next gen console versions which are shipping with essentially outdated mid/low-range PC hardware.

I don't see how using a controller "takes more skill than a keyboard and mouse", where putting an artificial limit on your reaction speed, turning capabilities, and accuracy is more skillful. It is a different skill and a different tool, but is inferior in games where accuracy matters (FPS, RTS, MMO). In sports games, fighting games, third person, platformers, flying/driving sims, a controller is generally better.

Dont tell me keyboard/mouse since thats just stupid (it takes more skill to play with a controller

Them's fightin' words, friend. Not sure how something as imprecise and uncustomizeable as a controller could take more skill. Do you realize they dumb down console games (specifically FPS games) to accommodate for the inherent lack of precision in a controller?

Sounds like your mind is made up about the answer to the question that you so confusingly asked.. but I disagree. It will be a couple years before developers of PS4/Xbox One can achieve the quality and performance that are in the PC games of today... and by that time, they'll be behind the curve again. Until there's a standardized hardware architecture across PCs and consoles, the PC will always prevail.. because that's what it's designed to do... and by the time that happens, a 'console' will just be a PC with different inputs.

Maybe I'm biased because of my username, who knows..?:eh?:

I absolutely *HATE* using a controller in FPS games, controller does take more skill than mouse/keyboard.

PS- there was a game Sony or MS tried a few years ago where they had console and PC cross-platform and PC users smashed console users.

I absolutely *HATE* using a controller in FPS games, controller does take more skill than mouse/keyboard.

PS- there was a game Sony or MS tried a few years ago where they had console and PC cross-platform and PC users smashed console users.

See example: Shadowrun (360+PC Crossplay)

As Janus67 already correctly pointed out, putting a limitation on control does not necessarily mean it takes more skill in all circumstances. Since on a console everyone else is also equally limited the level of competition will be lower, thus creating a similar experience(given a similar level of competence with either input device)

Now, if we are talking about using a controller against people with keyboard/mouse? That would take a higher level of skill potentially, or at the very least some very different tactics

Now, if we are talking about using a controller against people with keyboard/mouse? That would take a higher level of skill potentially, or at the very least some very different tactics

Different tactics.... Like Old school camping? I'm talking REAL camping like in 007 Golden eye! Sitting in a corner crouched with a shotgun aimed at the door.

I think those 'tactics' are added automatically via aim assistance that developers have to add to make controllers a viable device, due to their inherent imprecision.

Sorry but this is too funny. :rofl:

To each their own with which is better than the other.

PC is a PC, it can crush consoles for power. I mean look they are still having issues running games at 1080p because they want to have 60FPS at least for the games. PC could handle that with cards coming out, but as well we have GPU's that use as much power as the console does.

I like my PC and I won't give it up. Though I do like having my console as well because its quick, easy to setup and its dumb proof. No screwing around it just works. And since that its small and easy to put by a TV if you can't place a PC near by, which in my case I leave the console to the TV and PC to the monitors.

I was a console gamer all my life, and I can easily say I struggle greatly with mouse/keyboard vs controller. But I recognize the pro's and con's of both. And I'm slowly learning this keyboard/mouse thing....

I've been a PC gamer my whole life. I've also owned and used my fair share of console systems as well. My experience is that if you want something that just works with no fuss than go for the console. If you want eye candy and the ability to mod games than PC is where its at. I find it funny that 1080p tv's have been around for how many years now and these new generation consoles still cant fully play all games at 1080p? Come on now that is just retarded. Another perk with PC gaming is the ability to leave 1080p in the dust, I've been gaming at 1440p now for a while averaging nice FPS with all the eye candy.

I had a roommate in college that plays Skyrim on Xbox360 regularly. One day he walks into my room as I'm playing skyrim and seriously asked me what game I was playing. He was beyond shocked at how vastly different the game looked. He is currently acquiring funds to afford a PC now.

As far as controllers requiring more skill, HA!! keyboard/mouse has so much more potential and is light years ahead for how accurate you can be with the mouse.

Can you mod games on consoles? Can a console player use any of the hundreds of fan created Left 4 Dead 2 maps? What about the mods for Fallout 3, can those be used on consoles? Will the Xbone and PS4 be able to use mods the same as on PC's?

I'd love to see more inter-platform matches as well -- on a level playing field w/o console auto-aiming assist. Console players vs. PC players in BF4, BF3, Crysis 3 etc.

Last edited:
To answer your second question
-- Not really, at least not in the same capacity that steam workshop provides.
-- Likely won't happen with few exceptions.

Can you mod games on consoles? Can a console player use any of the hundreds of fan created Left 4 Dead 2 maps? What about the mods for Fallout 3, can those be used on consoles? Will the Xbone and PS4 be able to use mods the same as on PC's?

I'd love to see more inter-platform matches as well -- on a level playing field w/o console auto-aiming assist. Console players vs. PC players in BF4, BF3, Crysis 3 etc.

You pretty much nailed it. Modifications will be the main reason why PCs will triumph over consoles. The perfect example will be just about any Bethesda game. Unless consoles have access to the vast amounts of user mods that provide a large amount of additional content, as well as graphical overhauls, is more than enough to choose PC over consoles. Not only that, but digital game sales via steam, GMG, and other digital distributors will always make PC games cheaper than consoles.

The only reason to chose a console over PC would be for exclusives that aren't ported over to PC.

Back